Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

If you received the wrong package from Amazon!

Today, instead of getting the relatively inexpensive item i ordered, I opened the box to find a shiny new samsung gear neo. Genuinely surprised, and also completely uninterested in it - which is a shame as i do like my tech!

Has this ever happened to you guys? I've already checked the CC, no random charges. Reference numbers match with expected order - looks like Amazon just screwed up on this one. Someone somewhere's gonna be disappointed this week :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

You should contact amazon and return said item and ask them to give you what you ordered.

Now that I have the proper you won't burn in hell answer out of the way ;)

Wait a bit if you get no request from amazon sell it for a profit and order what you really wanted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Faolchu wrote: »
    Now that I have the proper you won't burn in hell answer out of the way ;)

Wait a bit if you get no request from amazon sell it for a profit and order what you really wanted again.

i would be lying if i said that hadn't crossed my mind. like, immediately :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I guess it depends on your morals. Me id sell it once I wa sure amazon wouldn't try get it back thus leaving you short if they charge your cc. Maybe wait a month to see if they do if not......

I think legally you have to return it but sure who does that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Return it..it's not yours! Simple.

Faolchu wrote: »
    I think legally you have to return it

i don't know about that. Legally, it's their mistake, and i'm in a different jurisdiction.
    gifted wrote: »
    Return it..it's not yours! Simple.

this is where my morals kick in.

Anyway, i'm not looking for advice - i already know where this is going. I want to know what Boardsies would do if it happened to them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Keep the samsung gear, send them back a severed finger.

Feelgood wrote: »
    Keep the samsung gear, send them back a severed finger.

That's a but harsh.. Amazon isn't exactly the worst company out there now are they? Maybe just fungal infected toenails instead?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Amazon once sent me a double order of books. I pointed it out to them, and they said "thanks, it's too much hassle to get them back, please donate them to your friends or preferably your local library".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Send them a complaint about not getting what you paid for, if they want it back they'll ask you. You're still the innocent party as now what you bought has been delayed by their mistake. Morally it's Amazon who have the problem, not you.

TrueDub wrote: »
    Amazon once sent me a double order of books. I pointed it out to them, and they said "thanks, it's too much hassle to get them back, please donate them to your friends or preferably your local library".

curious; was the cost of the books significant? Samsung watch ain't exactly cheap!

catbear wrote: »
    Send them a complaint about not getting what you paid for, if they want it back they'll ask you. You're still the innocent party as now what you bought has been delayed by their mistake. Morally it's Amazon who have the problem, not you.

lol! "innocent".. that's one way of looking at it. Complaints about being innocent might fly with the americans, but not me! :) I believe under US law, unsolicited goods are yours to keep anyway?

From my brief research, this is also true in Aus, however there is a 'recovery period' of three months. You're not obliged to inform the retailer of their mistake. If you do, the recovery period drops to 1 month. You cannot be forced to pay for the goods, but if you damage them the retailer can claim compensation. You cannot obstruct the retailer from retrieving the goods. So ultimately, all i'd have to do is stay quiet for three months. Or, tell them and see if they can be bothered to collect in 1 month!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

TrueDub wrote: »

I ordered a toy of Amazon and had it sent direct to my nephew. They sent two. They discovered their mistake and harassed me until I arranged for it to be sent back.

Zambia wrote: »
    They discovered their mistake and harassed me until I arranged for it to be sent back.

am pretty sure that's illegal under aussie consumer law - they are obliged to make the arrangements themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 craigfoster

I would personally hold onto it and wait untill i heard something and after a month i would just keep it and re-order what i originally wanted.

Advertisement