Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preordering - Stop the madness....

Options
  • 24-06-2014 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭

The bottom of the barrel is officially gone. With Assassins Creed Unity, they're now digging through dirt. I'll just leave this here.

This is from the official AssassinsCreed YouTube channel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can someone synopsize? For those of us at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and those of who are too lazy to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Win A trip to ComicCon??? :eek:

Pre-ordered!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Preorder Assassins Creed Unity to get access to a slot machine on their website (seriously).

Prizes! Prizes! Prizes! Every Friday! Friday! Friday!

The earlier you register, the more spins you get (I can hear you all reaching for your wallets and purses).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So the special edition doesn't give you something extra awesome over other editions, just the chance to get something extra awesome.
    Kinda a game shaped lottery ticket.
    But the idiots will buy it, and hand over money with a smile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

So if I pre order 5 copies I can spin 5 times!!!??

Someone get me my wallet now

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I can't watch that video right now, but from what I understand, if you preordered a game, you will be in some lottery to win some real life stuff and not in game content.

Here goes unpopular opinion lads. I honestly think something like that is actually better, then having content cut off and made exclusive to preorderes or/and content butchered and spread through retailers.

At least the way ubisoft doing it with unity, content is not hidden behind preordered wall and that lottery is just an bonus extra?
    Now like I said, I did not watched video itself, so I don't know how exactly it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That's basically it. Preordering the game gets you an exclusive DLC mission (like every other game these days) but also you get to win prizes ranging from in-game weapons to home entertainments systems to trips abroad and entered in to a mega trip to Paris. The earlier you preorder, the more chances you have at spinning the wheel. To be honest I've seen much worse pre-order offers.

Whatever about the preorder, the game is looking class. Ubi rebuilt the AC engine over the last few years to make CO-OP work so it's not just tacked on and also got rid of the competitive online modes to concentrate on CO-OP. The online competitive modes were actually very good. I will probably be getting the game anyway as Black Flag was so good (Please don't burn me like AC3 Ubi). Don't think I'll be preordering this early but good luck on winning prizes to whoever does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

As usual...South Park hit the nail on the head for me

When you preorder a game, your just committing to paying for something that some assholes in California haven't even finished working on yet.
    You know what you're getting when you pre-order a game ? A big dick in your mouth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 craigfoster

This game needs to just stop and maybe take a break. Too many games to soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In before the rabbling over whether the marketing budget could have been better spent putting female characters into the game.

As for the pre-order bonus, there will be people out there who are massive fans of the series and will be pre-ordering it regardless. I guess this is something nice for those people? Not for me in the slightest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm a fan of the series and will not be pre-ordering this but I will be picking it up at launch or close to it. The only game I didn't buy was 3 and got it free on PS+, what a mess, could not finish it and so glad I didn't buy it. Unity looks to be back on track and can't wait to ty out the co-op on it. I love co-op multiplayer games, such a good laugh at times.

I agree that they should release an AC game every 2 years at most, maybe alternate it with the Watchdogs IP or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Win A trip to ComicCon??? :eek:
    When listing the prizes, the voice over guy says: "...A trip to Comic Con. <pause> The Assassin's Creed studio in Montreal..." I wonder if the staff are part of the prize, or just the buildings*?

I don't remember the last time I preordered anything. Could've been PS2/GC era.

*Text may say "A trip to", but I wasn't paying attention the first time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't watch the video either, but does it mean the Deluxe edition will come with all prizes included?

I tend to only preorder if I expect it to be in short supply like the MK8 Blue Shell bundle, since it was cheap enough. And I also preordered Skyward Sword since being a Nintendo game, they tend to not get much stock of those games in these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Am I honestly the only one who thinks this isn't really that bad? Normally you pre-order and get an in-game hat or a 10 minute mission. With this you could win some pretty cool prizes (though the odds are against you, as they are for all lotteries), as well as the game (and hat and 10 minute mission). I really don't see an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Also, if you win the wristmounted springloaded blade/crossbow weapon, you can use it to go around to the other winners' houses and get their prizes too, any pre-order junk they have from other games as well as any other valuables they own. This is the best pre-order ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I tend to only preorder if I expect it to be in short supply like the MK8 Blue Shell bundle, since it was cheap enough. And I also preordered Skyward Sword since being a Nintendo game, they tend to not get much stock of those games in these days.

Even the Mk8 standard version sold out where I was. The Gamestops beside me both sold out in hours and only got very limited numbers in a week later. Clearly they did not expect it to be the hit it was.

The last big game I remember selling out everywhere in Dublin city centre at launch was GTA: Vice City.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Here goes unpopular opinion lads. I honestly think something like that is actually better, then having content cut off and made exclusive to preorderes or/and content butchered and spread through retailers.

Very few of these are not timed exclusives, most end up as paid DLC and without the preorder bonus it'll just show up sooner rather than later.

If the retailer isn't paying for it then we will. Early access may take over from this in the future, as a pre-ordering game is worth more to them than a day 1 purchase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This game needs to just stop and maybe take a break. Too many games to soon

I haven't finished the 2nd one yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Realisticly, I wonder how good your chances are of actually coming out with a prize between now and the game's release date. I mean a prize worth talking about, not bottom of the barrel stuff like a packet of AC stickers or something. I'd imagine they're quite low indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

deathrider wrote: »
    Realisticly, I wonder how good your chances are of actually coming out with a prize between now and the game's release date. I mean a prize worth talking about, not bottom of the barrel stuff like a packet of AC stickers or something. I'd imagine they're quite low indeed.

Probably fairly small. If you get 5 spins each Friday, between now and release is close to around 16-20 Fridays, so each person could have 100 spins on their little slots yoke.

Also like how the Paris trip is the "ZOMG MEGA PRIZE" when its just a short hop to France for us on Ryanair Obviously there is hotel accommodation and some form of historic tour included, but I think the Comic-Con would be worth more to the likes of us. Probably no flights included, or with the Ubisoft Montreal visit :rolleyes:

:EDIT: Ah, solved my own question, US residents only. Europe gets its own pre-order scheme, though. You can form a "team" with your friends and unlock in-game weapons.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Ah, solved my own question, US residents only.

I had a funny feeling that would be thr craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

90% of stuff that comes with pre ordering is a load of auld crap anyway. give me early access to DLC or a discount off the season pass and I'd be much happier. otherwise, things like art books or figurines are just dust collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Pre-orders and season passes need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pre-ordering gigantic AAA titles is pointless for the most part anyway, the rare exception like GTAV where it did sell out in a bunch of places and if you werent in a big city or town with more options to buy it you could get stuck, but pre-ordering Asassins Creed? COD? you'll find those easily gotten anywhere on launch day if you want them.

Pre-orders and season passes need to go.

I agree. I never really saw the point in them. I think I've only ever pre-odered two games. One of which was because they were only getting about three copies intot he shop due to it's low demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

This is absolutely ridiculous... Ubisoft what in gods name are you doing.

On a side note the preorder incentives on GOG for The Witcher 3 are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think there needs to be more definition between pre-order bonuses, DLC and Season passes.

What's the point in buying a season pass if not all the DLC is included?
    What's the point in pre-order bonuses if it's released as DLC a week or two later?

They'll never get rid of DLC/Season passes. Not at this stage. It's too integral to the business models of game releases. And if they did game prices would likely just increase to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm absolutely fine with pre-order if it is 10-25% off the retail price, so if it was already on your "must-have" list you can choose to save a bit. What I hate is these extra pre-order for DLC offers, which normally you can buy later. Instead of a discount on the main game you're being pre-sold DLC at a heavy discount at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I remember back in the day when the concept of pre-ordering a game was to guarantee a copy of your game when it launched and to avoid disappointment since your local store had limited copies. Gradually it started changing, little by little...

"Pre-order and get a keyring"

"Pre-order and get alternative box art"

"Pre-order and get a free in-game item as well as alternative box art"

"Pre-order and get a free in-game item and huge game content unlock that non pre-order plebs won't receive! Plus alternative box art!"

It's now turned into a huge marketing area for companies to lure consumers and we have only ourselves to blame for voting for it with our cash.

Advertisement