Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preordering - Stop the madness....

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How about Alien Isolation preorder DLC featuring the original Alien cast, including Sigourney
    http://www.ctpost.com/business/technology/article/Weaver-Alien-cast-reprising-roles-in-new-game-5608818.php

• Registered Users Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CastorTroy wrote: »
    How about Alien Isolation preorder DLC featuring the original Alien cast, including Sigourney
    http://www.ctpost.com/business/technology/article/Weaver-Alien-cast-reprising-roles-in-new-game-5608818.php

Hello Mr. Gamestop, I'll take 2 preorders please!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Now to see if there's a launch day review embargo...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm guessing it'll be later released as paid DLC or at least a special edition of the game. Seems too high profile to be preorder only

I'm guessing it'll be later released as paid DLC or at least a special edition of the game. Seems too high profile to be preorder only
    It's a free, multi-platform pre-order bonus so I'd be shocked if it wasn't paid DLC a month or so after release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

see that shít will force people to pirate if they want the complete game, ridiculous policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I feel Destiny is worth pre-ordering as it lets me play the beta on the 17th, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I feel Destiny is worth pre-ordering as it lets me play the beta on the 17th, right?

Titanfall beta let those with codes in on the friday then it opened it to everyone on the saturday, I'm expecting the same thing to happen with destiny.

If not I'll lose no sleep.

Skerries wrote: »
    see that shít will force people to pirate if they want the complete game, ridiculous policy
    You still get the full game though.

This kind of additional content is precisely the sort which is suited to being sold either separately or offered as a free bonus for pre-orders and/or new purchases. It clearly hasn't been "ripped" from the core game, it adds something completely new which doesn't affect the core game and given the nature of it, is precisely the kind of bonus a fan would appreciate if choosing to pre-order it or buy it new on release.

As I said above, despite definitely falling into the latter category, I'm still not going to pre-order it unless there are plenty of reviews available before launch. Each to their own though!

calex71 wrote: »
    Titanfall beta let those with codes in on the friday then it opened it to everyone on the saturday, I'm expecting the same thing to happen with destiny.

If not I'll lose no sleep.

Ok, I didn't know that, you're probably right. Still haven't made up my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

While i am going to buy most of these games i am not pre-ordering and i would implore everyone to not pre-order. It is ruining gaming for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

GTA V was the last game I am ever pre-ordering in a store, between the poxy kids smoking hash in the queue to the mismanaged system of Gamestop where you had to queue twice to get in I am done with them for any other **** too, Nazi bastards with their do you want to preorder Assassin's Creed, Fifa 15, New Call of Duty etc, when you say no they throw a strop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

gizmo wrote: »
    Not to point out the obvious but wouldn't it be nicer to see Gamestop reform their customer service policies due to people changing their purchasing habits rather than ~17,000 losing their jobs?

Type-setters, people who cleaned up ****e from horse and carriages and people who work in bricks and mortar game shops.

Obsolete businesses disappear sooner or later. That's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Will you ONLY get this DLC if you preorder, or can you buy it separately? I have never pre-ordered a game, don't really want to start now, but this looks great....

.ak wrote: »
    Will you ONLY get this DLC if you preorder, or can you buy it separately? I have never pre-ordered a game, don't really want to start now, but this looks great....
    I would be gob smacked if it wasn't available as paid DLC after release.

The article linked above doesn't seem entirely accurate though unlike the IGN link sheehy83 posted on the game thread. There are two DLC missions, “Crew Expendable” and “Last Survivor”. Everyone who pre-orders gets upgraded to the "Nostromo Edition" which includes the former piece of content. The latter piece of content is included in the "Ripley Edition" which is only available at select retailers and costs a bit more than the regular edition. In the case of the UK, that appears to be GAME. Here are the two different versions, Standard and Ripley.

Given the fact that these are "editions" I'd wager that all of the initial pressings will be Nostromo Editions so you should be able to pick one up at launch without pre-ordering. The Ripley Edition looks to be definitely available after launch, albeit from limited retailers, but will at least include both pieces of content for cheaper than buying them separately with the game at retail at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

having experienced the wrath of an irate gamestop manager let me just say if they do go under i will not be too upset. the company are a joke refused to return faulty items before less than a month old

They refused to refund/replace/repair a faulty item that was bought less than 28 days beforehand?

Would be surprised by this as the legally have to, even though some retailers like to pretend they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

There's an opinion-piece over on Polygon regarding pre-orders in general, and Alien Isolation in particular. Nothing particularly groundbreaking or revelatory, but thought I'd share it anyway;

www. polygon.com/2014/7/10/5887425/aliens-isolation-ripley-preorder-exclusive-no

Obviously you'll have to delete the space after www. - I can't post links yet.

I cracked and prordered Destiny :o Just the vanilla version though!

Activision notes industry-wide downturn in pre-orders

People voting with their wallets causing publishers to rethink their strategies. Who'd have thunk it? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I never really understood the big craze for Pre-orders on almost everything. Especially online game keys.

I've always preferred to wait and see wait the game is actually like, as opposed to how its advertised before getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

It's worth noting that preorder incentives can be done right. For example as I mentioned earlier in this thread the preorder bonuses for The Witcher 3 are incredibly generous from GoG / CDProjektRed.

27% off the base price for owning the previous two games on GoG (which, if you're on PC you automatically do due to being able to redeem them on GoG as "backup copies" no matter where you purchased), fair price policy where they give you GoG credit simply for being in a different currency region than Dollar (works out as $11.98 or €8.98 here), and an absolute ton of bonus content available immediately...including neverwinter nights. Oh, and it's DRM free.

It is true though, 90% of preorder "incentives" are plain daft...locking out content for those that don't buy from X place is just stupid. If more preorders were like GoG I'd have no problem preordering, gives companies the ability to plan ahead and if they're releasing good games then why not? But that isn't the case and with majority having DRM I don't see the need to preorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I've always preferred to wait and see wait the game is actually like, as opposed to how its advertised before getting it.

Did this with a few games and was glad I did (Rome Total War 2, Watchdogs - though i may pick that up when its <€40 and I have a PS4)

Advertisement