Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to ask.....

Options
  • 24-06-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I am renting a property and keeping it well maintained. I'm happy with the rent cost and I see the rent rising everywhere so I would like to stay put.

Feels like we've just got settled in and our lease is up in Oct.

I want to ask if we can extend the contract another year... but without showing my hand... i'm afraid if I am eager to stay they will charge me more.

Is there a way of bascially calling the EA and ... saying I would like to rent this property for a second yr - if the rent stays the same.

I kinda need to know this early in advance... but I dont know how these things normally work.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

afaik the lease would continue on a rolling basis unless the landlord asks you to sign a new lease
    so don't say anything, that might put the idea of increasing the rent in the landlord's head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

afaik the lease would continue on a rolling basis unless the landlord asks you to sign a new lease
    so don't say anything, that might put the idea of increasing the rent in the landlord's head

true that ! thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Let sleeping dogs lie and roll onto the Part IV tenancy and keep your fingers crossed that the rent isn't adjusted to market rates.

thanks,

anyone know if they are upping the rent, how much notice they have to give you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the landlord is not given at least 30 days notice of the tenants intention to remain in the property at the elapse of the lease- he/she can recoup any reasonable costs from the tenant they may have incurred in attempting to relet it (normally an agents fee of a month's rent, alongside advertising costs).

Vis-a-vis a rent increase- the landlord is entitled to review the rent every 12 months. If you moved into the property in October of last year- a review could be conducted at any stage from the anniversary of your commencement of the tenancy (and every 12 months hence). Any increase must be in keeping with market rates, and is typically advised to the tenant in the same periodic manner which the rent is paid (aka a month in advance of the increase taking effect- for most tenants).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

2 points...

- Unless notified otherwise, you can stay on without having to ask permission. Tenancy will become a Part IV. You do NOT need to sign a new lease.. despite what the Agent may try to tell you

- Landlord can (and probably will!) review the rent when your year is up so be prepared for that. Given rents are going crazy in Dublin (if that's where you are) I'd expect a fairly big hike to be honest.

Thank you all -

I'm actually in Meath.... the rent was average at the time. there isn't many houses up for lease in the area at the moment... but the few that are are up to 200 euro more than our rent at the moment.

So hoping for the best and hoping that because we are good tenants they will allow us stay on without the rent increase... I wouldn't stay in the house if the rent were increased... I could move 10 mins away and rent a lot cheaper but it would be more isolated... have to drive to the shop etc.

I just had no idea how it would work... because if on Sept 30th they called and say if you want to stay in the gaff you have to pay 200 more... I'm not sure if we would have enough time to find somewhere else and move !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Note- you *do* have to advise of your intention to remain in the property- 30 days before the end of the lease- if you intend to stay- otherwise you are liable for any costs the landlord incurs seeking new tenants. You are entitled to stay on a Part IV tenancy- but you do have to advise that you intend to stay (unless you're satisfied to cover any costs the landlord may incur).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Note- you *do* have to advise of your intention to remain in the property- 30 days before the end of the lease- if you intend to stay- otherwise you are liable for any costs the landlord incurs seeking new tenants. You are entitled to stay on a Part IV tenancy- but you do have to advise that you intend to stay (unless you're satisfied to cover any costs the landlord may incur).

I've never had to notify a landlord and there wasn't a problem? But then that's the whole problem really I guess.. no consistency

Advertisement