Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice places around Drogheda for wedding photos ?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

any suggestions within say 20 min drive of Drogheda for wedding photos?

I know there's the Battle of the Boyne site, but they've some country fair this weekend and in preparation it's half closed off, heavy trucks going in and out etc.

Just looking for a bit of greenery, a scenic background.

And there's various beaches, but not ideal for the bride.

cheers,
    CD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I wonder would they let you into the grounds of Newgrange to take them rather than through the rigmarole of going through the visitors centre. Would make a really cool backdrop and only 5 mins from Battle of Boyne site. Worth a call.

Old Mellifont Abbey?

Errrr.......

Surprising how few scenic spots there are around Drogheda when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Scotty # wrote: »

That looks perfect, great suggestion.... unfortunately the site says it's closed until July 11th :( They're doing some work on it.
    Otherwise, that would've been the top option.

Newgrange... might be an option.
    I'm not from Drogheda and only went to Newgrange about 30 years ago on a school trip.

Any of the office of public works sites want an insurance indemnity form signed off first before we can take photos. So we left this a little late.

Suppose we could end up on the boardwalk/river if we were stuck too.

cheers,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Meath08

How about the beaches at Laytown or Bettystown? Provided it's a dry day, it shouldn't be a big problem for a bride.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

That looks perfect, great suggestion.... unfortunately the site says it's closed until July 11th :( They're doing some work on it.
    Otherwise, that would've been the top option.

Newgrange... might be an option.
    I'm not from Drogheda and only went to Newgrange about 30 years ago on a school trip.

Any of the office of public works sites want an insurance indemnity form signed off first before we can take photos. So we left this a little late.

Suppose we could end up on the boardwalk/river if we were stuck too.

cheers,
    CD
    So sign it. Surely your photographer has insurance

Meath08 wrote: »
    How about the beaches at Laytown or Bettystown? Provided it's a dry day, it shouldn't be a big problem for a bride.

If we're stuck maybe... not great for shoes and dress with a train on it though.
    MugMugs wrote: »
    So sign it. Surely your photographer has insurance

That's acedemic at this point because both the "Battle of the Boyne" and "Old Melifont Abbey" are out of commission on Friday.

But yes, that option was open to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If we're stuck maybe... not great for shoes and dress with a train on it though.

That's acedemic at this point because both the "Battle of the Boyne" and "Old Melifont Abbey" are out of commission on Friday.

But yes, that option was open to me.
    Apologies, I thought Newgrange wanted an indemnity form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Not in Drogheda but within your 20 min drive - Ardgillan Park near Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

beaulieuhouse.ie in Drogheda more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Second Beaulieu House, house and gardens with Boyne Estuary views...

Thanks, looks gorgeous.

Although they cater directly for weddings themselves.
    Not sure they'll let someone external come in just for photos... but might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement

They absolutely will let you in for photos. Once you've the money to pay them for it.

OP, as a photographer myself, get over to Townley Hall. Greenery, benches, trees, walking trails, etc. there's no end to the amount of crap you can get away with out there. It's usually desserted too. (just dont leave your car on its own as it's a break-in hot-spot, along with many places along that road, and out to Battle of the Boyne, etc.).

E24437EF427645099F3BA3B70A1832BA-0000333410-0003596634-00800L-24773A51257C4B69AFC6F56C5B34184D.jpg

Alternatively, mornington beach on a dry day is lovely. But your photographer will get away with more in Townley (more stuff to use as props to lean against, sit on, etc.).

It's also open to the public all the time and not an OPW site so no formal agreements. Just show up and hope for the best.

Check out Mellifont Abbey too. Oftentimes when they're working on these places and they're closed, theyre not really actually closed at all (in the sense that you can still physically enter them). I took a photo out there in the rain before and I was really happy with it (considering it was a 2 minute job before getting back in the car and heading to reception, as they didnt want to stay out in the rain, understandably).

4206E73118DD4A7ABF3CE7F53640CA49-0000333410-0003380227-00800L-CB56BB3B93DE428EA54E0C9CCDD2F3B3.jpg

MoeJay wrote: »
    Second Beaulieu House, house and gardens with Boyne Estuary views...

Thanks Scotty & MoeJay, went for Beaulieu House, and the photographer had a field day with so many beautiful stately rooms and interesting natural lighting, said he could've stayed there another couple of hours.
    Cost €100 to shoot the photos outside, or €200 inside.
    Cara, who was in charge there was great, very accommodating.
    Well worth the money if you paid top dollar for a photographer.

It meant we could cater for rain or shine in the same location.

cheers,
    CD

Advertisement