Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

• 24-06-2014 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The one being RTE 2 HD

Even if you really hate whoever is doing the RTE comms it'll be worth sticking with as this game has been dumped to ITV4 which many of us will only be able to see in SD. Bloody disgrace but that's ITV for you, that the "little big game" is on ITV1 also condemns England to a defeat I'd have thought. ;)

As for the game, can Italy keep out Uruguay and can Uruguay keep out Italy? Will Suarez knee hold up for long enough to make the difference - Italy only need to draw but even for them that's a dangerous way to think of a tie.

Maxi Pereira is back in while Italy lose De Rossi (and Pirlo was poor against Costa Rica even with his help). There is talk of Prandelli going for the Juve trio at centre back and Immobile up front.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Forza Azzuri!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Italy 2-1 I think.

Anyone here know who to get the RTE player to stream abroad?

I have a VPN/proxy IP changer thingy and I can change my location to Ireland, but the stream still won't work.

What's strange though is that when I change my location to the UK, I can watch the BBC/ITV no problemo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Honestly did you really think England were going to be shown on ITV 4 and Italy Uruguay on ITV 1?

If it was Ireland in the group instead of England, I can guarantee RTE would show the Ireland game on RTE 2 and the other game online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Honestly did you really think England were going to be shown on ITV 4 and Italy Uruguay on ITV 1?

If it was Ireland in the group instead of England, I can guarantee RTE would show the Ireland game on RTE 2 and the other game online

Showing my age here but I remember in Euro 88 after England lost first two games BBC dumped the England v USSR match and showed Ireland v Netherlands instead.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Showing my age here but I remember in Euro 88 after England lost first two games BBC dumped the England v USSR match and showed Ireland v Netherlands instead.

That wouldnt happen these days, Imagine the outrage in England now if they were put on ITV 4 behind Italy and Uruguay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Expecting an Italy win because they have a better team but Suarez can be the difference. It's a difficult one to predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

PIRLO, PIRLO, PIRLO. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That wouldnt happen these days, Imagine the outrage in England now if they were put on ITV 4 behind Italy and Uruguay

I'm not worried either way as I would watch Uruguay game and much prefer RTE's coverage anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bloody Costa Rica being good at football. I want both these teams to go through :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bloody Costa Rica being good at football. I want both these teams to go through :mad:

It's their own fault that both won't go thru!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully Uruguay go through, Italy going home again in the opening stages would be nice. But I can see the sneaking through, as even though Uruguay have the best player in the world not named Clint Dempsey the Italians as usual have assembled the best squad in tournament history.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

mike65 wrote: »
    Pirlo was poor against Costa Rica even with his help)

Far from the worse performers for Italy that day. He was the only lively player for them in the first half and played some nice through balls, only problem was the fact that nobody could stay onside. Faded in the second half like the rest of the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Does anyone know for sure if they are showing the Italy game on rte,i would assume so since the England match is a dead rubber,but after choosing the almost dead match between Brazil and Cameroon i just can't be sure does anyone know for sure?

• I wonder can I get a price on Suarez to handle the ball in the Uruguay 6 yard box :pac:

Going to be a very close one, still think Italy will just about do it @ 2-1.

Nearly all depends on Pirlo / Suarez

amkin25 wrote: »
    Does anyone know for sure if they are showing the Italy game on rte,i would assume so since the England match is a dead rubber,but after choosing the almost dead match between Brazil and Cameroon i just can't be sure does anyone know for sure?

The Thread title and opening line of the OP kind of gives you a clue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

The Thread title and opening line of the OP kind of gives you a clue

Thats why i was asking is anyone sure,i can lift yesterdays paper in front of me and see it said exactly the same about the Croatia Mexico game on RTE 2/ITV 4 but was the Brazil game on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭padders67

Uruguay to show Hodgson the value of actually keeping tight on Pirlo rather standing back admiring his passes .

Like Italy but cant see anything other than a Uruguay team reviving memories of last world cups semi final run . 2-0 to the U;s

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

murpho999 wrote: »

Pretty sure that was BBC NI - mainland BBC showed the England game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

How are us Italophiles feeling about this evening's game? I've seen suggestions that Prandelli will go with a 3-5-2 tonight?! Back 3 of Bonnuci, Paletta & Chiellini with Darmian & Abate the wing backs? If he does opt for wing backs then it's a pity Maggio isn't in the squad.

Veratti, Pirlo & Marchisio in midfield.

Immobile will surely start. Question is will it be Mario, Cerci or Cassano beside him?

Vai Italia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Backed both teams pre tournament at 25s Italy and 26s for Uruguay I think. Was looking great when both team looked set to qualify. Stupid Costa Rica. The Darkest of dark horses -_-

Would really hate to see Pirlo's last ever tournament end at the group stages. The man is just.. well he isn't a man, he's some sort of demi God.

Going with my heart 100%

FORZA ITALIA 2-2
    92nd min Pirlo free kick to level the tie and put them through.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was BBC NI - mainland BBC showed the England game

No , I was living in London at the time and they had a poll of the public who voted to see our game over Englands and they showed it as a result . can still see the manky bounce for kieft's goal

grenache wrote: »
    How are us Italophiles feeling about this evening's game? I've seen suggestions that Prandelli will go with a 3-5-2 tonight?! Back 3 of Bonnuci, Paletta & Chiellini with Darmian & Abate the wing backs? If he does opt for wing backs then it's a pity Maggio isn't in the squad.

Veratti, Pirlo & Marchisio in midfield.

Immobile will surely start. Question is will it be Mario, Cerci or Cassano beside him?

Vai Italia!

Think I would prefer if he went with 3-5-2 for tonight. Can't say I'm crazy about Abate but who else is there? And I wouldn't be too impressed if I see Motta in the lineup but I don't think that's happening. Cassano was so poor when he came on the last day and Cerci didn't offer a whole lot, so it has to be Balotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ireland are always regarded as a 'home nation', many of the players were English born and nearly the entire squad played in the top flight in England. So it wasn't really that surprising that they chose to show Ireland v Holland rather than the dead rubber. Italy/Uruguay doesn't have that factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

2-1 Italy , 2-1 Costa Rica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Teams

Italy: Buffon, De Sciglio, Chiellini, Darmian, Barzagli, Bonucci, Marchisio, Pirlo, Verratti, Immobile, Balotelli

Uruguay: Muslera, Godin, Pereira, Rodriguez, Gimenez, Lodeiro, Arevalo, Gonzalez, Cavani, Caceres, Suarez

Happy with that Italy team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The way the glass is sort of frosted/blurry either side of Bill, makes it look like one of those dreams sequences ...

Hopefully all of the effort and celebrations after Suarez' heroics wont be in vain.. They have a huge task ahead of them here.. Losing to Costa Rica really left them with no option but to win their last to games. Good luck Luis (before you feck off to Spain :( )..

Ireland are always regarded as a 'home nation', many of the players were English born and nearly the entire squad played in the top flight in England. So it wasn't really that surprising that they chose to show Ireland v Holland rather than the dead rubber. Italy/Uruguay doesn't have that factor.

the fact they have the itv4 / red button / online option now means they don't really have to make a decision

looking forward to seeing Immobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It is 3-5-2 by the look of it. Forza Azzurri!

• Advertisement

Big fan of Barzaghli myself. Hope he's got what it takes to silence Suarez though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

How come Dunphy and co never write Rooney off for his inconsistency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Cmon Pirlo.

If italy win. The Pirlo gifs will flow

Billy86 wrote: »
    How come Dunphy and co never write Rooney off for his inconsistency?

His unreserved support for Rooney is ridiculous... Rooney scores from two yards and he says he's delighted for him, in spite of all the similarly easy chances he missed. If Rooney had taken all the easy chances that he was presented with i.e. his job, then England would surely be still in the world cup..

And I'm actually disappointed to see them going home early, because they are involved in exciting, dramatic games when they are in the knockout rounds..

Is is just me or are the images from the pitch not as good quality as the images from the studio?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Liverpool's no.7 vs Dortmund's no.9, so torn :(

Buffon is limping in the warm up apparently.

His unreserved support for Rooney is ridiculous... Rooney scores from two yards and he says he's delighted for him, in spite of all the similarly easy chances he missed. If Rooney had taken all the easy chances that he was presented with i.e. his job, then England would surely be still in the world cup..

And I'm actually disappointed to see them going home early, because they are involved in exciting, dramatic games when they are in the knockout rounds..

You mean getting dominated and/or losing on pens? :P

Yep, the Uruguay away kit is just as tight as the home kit... That's of life's mysteries solved..

Pirlo <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

2-1 Italy. Like both of these sides so I won't be too put out whoever is eliminated.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    [/B]

You mean getting dominated and/or losing on pens? :P

Exactly!! But it's probably good news for one member of the England team who would inevitably have become the next Southgate/Pearce/Batty/Waddle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Uruguay national anthem is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

In Pirlo we trust

Poor oul pitch hey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Uruguay national anthem is brilliant :D

Longest intro ever.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Oh dear Balo..

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Biddy_61

Balotelli deserves injury for diving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I put money on Balotelli to score first.

He injures himself diving in the second minutr.

:pac:

Biddy_61 wrote: »
    Balotelli deserves injury for diving.

Ah now lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Italy out to do a number on Suarez.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement