Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Timmyctc banned for multiple seriously abusive posts

Everyone, please post carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dont think he racially abused anyone at today's match so your post is fairly pointless. Served his time for that too

He supposedly bit someone today not racially abused someone

I didn't say he did ffs :rolleyes:
    Niallo said it's not like a career ending injury, I was comparing another instance that wouldn't be career ending or even physically damaging. Looking at the bite mark and saying "ah sure that's nothing" is a simplistic way of looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Suarez knows he is gone. He knows what he has done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Whatever about the bite Godin loves a goal in a big game. Last 3 goals have came in the La Liga decider, CL final and this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I think the phrase is whataboutery.

That's a fairly lazy way of not answering the question, which is of course a little awkward for Roy Keane's fans.

The exmaple was provided to highlight that tribal loyalties and a dash of xenohobia ensure that anything that Suarez does provokes a reaction with the same level of emotional intelligence and maturity that you would expect of enraged children.

I'm sure you have a cliche to dismiss this as well.

• Advertisement

I take it he can only be banned internationally, or can it be passed on the club as well?

Anyway, he got 8 games for racism, 10 games for the Ivanovic bite, time to put the foot down now and lay down a marker after he hasn't learned his lesson. 15 game ban if not more.

Well he wasn't banned from internationals for his other incidents, only club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I am pie wrote: »
    Which is worse?

1. A bite
    2. Stamping on someone knee in an attempt to "do" them?

He should receive the standard 3 (max 5, if you want to make an example) game suspension for violent play, red card. It's an incident on par with Zidane's infamous headbutt.

Anything else is just hyperbole or lack objectivity.

Rightly or wrongly (rightly in most peoples mind) is that biting is much more reprehensible than simple striking in most(all?) cases.

I can't believe that a camera didn't catch it this day and age

Fudge You wrote: »
    Number 1 is the answer.

Next question please. I love quizzes.

Each to their own, i think i'd prefer the pressure of suarez's molars than the career ending downward force of Roy keane's boot.

Red marks on the neck or destroyed knee ligaments? Perhaps that frames it better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Another pic of the bite mark, fairly conclusive.

Bq6kXRwIIAEi54u.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In my time watching football, any lengthy ban arose from an isolated moment of madness from a player. Said player never repeated the offence on their return (I'm thinking of Cantona, Keane and Thatcher's elbow).

In that regard Suarez can have no excuse, as this alleged bite would be his third such offence if found guilty. Must be wet in the brain or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

You can't be banned from club games for an incident in an international game.

EDIT - As far as I'm aware anyway, can't find any evidence of it happening before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I can't believe that a camera didn't catch it this day and age

It was an inside job..

• shrewdness wrote: »

Bq6kXRwIIAEi54u.jpg
    The memes for this are going to be epic. Looking forward to the first of many in the humor thread :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

That's a fairly lazy way of not answering the question, which is of course a little awkward for Roy Keane's fans.

The exmaple was provided to highlight that tribal loyalties and a dash of xenohobia ensure that anything that Suarez does provokes a reaction with the same level of emotional intelligence and maturity that you would expect of enraged children.

So do you think it's a big conspiracy against Suarez ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

This may be me but Luis Suarez biting Chiellini has zero to do with Roy Keane. But way to go on your muddying the waters attempt.

Showing those marks on tv now. Disgraceful. And still nothing to do with Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Some quality CSI zoom-ing on RTE there.

Rightly or wrongly (rightly in most peoples mind) is that biting is much more reprehensible than simple striking in most(all?) cases.

Please, let's call a spade a spade here.

One is biting.

The other is stamping.

Not "simply striking"

The result of one is red indentations on the flesh, the other is career over and permanently damaged knee. Someone ask Haaland if he's rather Keane bit him of stamped on his knee.

Irish myopia at play here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

I'd love to see him banned for 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

shrewdness wrote: »

Bq6kXRwIIAEi54u.jpg

Chiellini now doomed to walk the earth as one of the undead. Poor bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

2 year ban would be tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ha RTE panel obviously briefed during the add break to play serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

In my time watching football, any lengthy ban arose from an isolated moment of madness from a player. Said player never repeated the offence on their return (I'm thinking of Cantona, Keane and Thatcher's elbow).

In that regard Suarez can have no excuse, as this alleged bite would be his third such offence if found guilty. Must be wet in the brain or something.

You can't be comparing assaulting a member of the public on live TV with a bite surely.

This may be me but Luis Suarez biting Chiellini has zero to do with Roy Keane. But way to go on your muddying the waters attempt.

Showing those marks on tv now. Disgraceful. And still nothing to do with Roy Keane.

It's a comparison, I suspect you're able to cope with that concept.

Only suspect though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Is the myth that Keane tackle ended Hallands career still going?

One offense also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

4 years no parole

One is biting.

The other is stamping.

Not "simply striking"

The result of one is red indentations on the flesh, the other is career over and permanently damaged knee. Someone ask Haaland if he's rather Keane bit him of stamped on his knee.

Give it up. All that doesnt change the fact that Suarez bit a player. Biting is worse a bad tackle. Get a grip ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

adox wrote: »

That's what I was thinking too

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This ain't the FA, and the British media have no clout here. There's a possibility he gets away with it...there's no precedent for retrospective action in world cups.

God it would be hilarious if no action was taken!!

Fair enough if that's what you think but you will not get away with biting someone in front of the world. This is not a foul, it will be classed as assault.

• Advertisement

• adox wrote: »
    Someone must have told them to cop the **** on. Kids watch football put it that way. What kind of example are they setting if they think it should be ignored. ****ing mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

wtf? Twenty minutes they were saying that FIFA "dont take retrospective action" and that he would be available for the second round matches???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hulk Hands wrote: »

One offense also

Think it's just a lack of knowledge from some people.

niallo27 wrote: »
    You can't be comparing assaulting a member of the public on live TV with a bite surely.

MOre myopia from the poster you're responding to.

Cantona of course had a history which would make Suarez fairly envious, attacking refs, kicking fans, that stamp against Crystal Palace.

Objectivity is long dead in football.

Suarez should be sent home, world cup over. End of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Meedah

I feel like I've taken crazy pills! Is that really RTE's reaction to Suarez biting someone for the third time?!

Hope all the teams left get their tetanus shots!

Chill out, no one died.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

One is biting.

The other is stamping.

Not "simply striking"

Haaland retired because of his other knee

Just saying

• Advertisement

It's a comparison, I suspect you're able to cope with that concept.

Only suspect though...

The only comparative examples i can think of to today's incident are Suarez' other bites. Which highlights the idiocy.

I can handle the concepts you are throwing out. Whataboutery. Wanna talk about Suarez biting Chiellini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Hulk Hands wrote: »

One offense also

No but you can't deny that it was his intention to do it.

Hodgson must only be delighted - all the press with be focused on Suarez while England limp home.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

I think it was a perfectly timed bite. Italy players were so distracted they forgot to mark anyone for Godin's goal. #thebrightside

"Starving" at the bottom of the Apres Match highlights bit.

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Hodgson must only be delighted - all the press with be focused on Suarez while England limp home.

Small victories for Roy!

Give it up. All that doesnt change the fact that Suarez bit a player. Biting is worse a bad tackle. Get a grip ffs

I dont need to get a grip, i suspect you need to acquire some perspective.

Stamping on someone's knee is more dangerous than biting. It wasn't a bad tackle, that's a cowardly way to refer to it. I suppose the kung fu incident was just a bad tackle too was it?

Biting deserves a ban and a suspension, but the hysteria continues to be myopic, xenophobic and tribal. Such is football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Bq6khoOCcAARc92.jpg

Confirmed!

I was bitten before, I went f*cking postal on the guy that did it. If I wasn't dragged off him I'd probably still be there digging the head off him.

There's something inherently wrong about biting regardless of the physical damage. It's for animals and problem children.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    No but you can't deny that it was his intention to do it.
    It never ceases to amaze me with your posting, you manage to defend the situation at hand and then compare a non related incident involving a Man Utd player in the past.

I dont need to get a grip, i suspect you need to acquire some perspective.

Stamping on someone's knee is more dangerous than biting. It wasn't a bad tackle, that's a cowardly way to refer to it. I suppose the kung fu incident was just a bad tackle too was it?

Biting deserves a ban and a suspension, but the hysteria continues to be myopic, xenophobic and tribal. Such is football.

Do you not see that your rush to start ranking football incidents in terms of their danger is a blatant attempt to deflect from the actual incident at hand? You needd to be far more subtle than that sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I was bitten before, I went f*cking postal on the guy that did it. If I wasn't dragged off him I'd probably still be there digging the head off him.

There's something inherently wrong about biting regardless of the physical damage. It's for animals and toddlers.

Yet punching someone in the head repeatly is the for sensible, mature adults. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

4 years no parole

Human years or dog years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Meedah

The sending off was barely even a yellow card, it was harmless, he had no weight behind his leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I was bitten before, I went f*cking postal on the guy that did it..

You must be well hard!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement