Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Your reply is more nuttier tbh
    why so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

kryogen wrote: »
    I assume there will be some trying to play down or defend this behaviour, but there is none, I don't care how good you are, and he is a brilliant player, there is no place for this kind of behaviour on a football pitch. I hope FIFA take a hard line. He has previous at a world cup too so maybe they will be keen to take him to task properly for this.

What the punishment should be I don't know yet, would require some thought and I highly doubt there is precedent on the matter, he has bitten before and he has cheated before at a world cup so I would think that will go against him.

Interesting times, and worrying for Liverpool fans I guess

What previous at World Cup has he.

niallo27 wrote: »

He handled a ball, jesus wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Straight to the gallows with him IMO.

glued wrote: »
    Can Fifa ban him from club and country? Biting someone is crazy and disgusting but does it really deserve a huge ban? It's not the worst thing to happen on a pitch.
    its his third offense. he also has had major behavioural issues re evragate... the ban will reflect justly i reckon

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He handled a ball, jesus wept

Surely he can't be suggesting that should be taken into account as well, although you never know.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah hear...I hate Liverpool and Suarez as much as the next man but 12 months? Are you off your head?

Christ, what he did was disgusting but some of the reactions are priceless:

"He's finished"

"Ship him out"

"12 month ban at least"

"How would I explain it to my son"

Get a grip people.

Internationally? it wouldn't surprise me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Suarez has a real appetite for the game :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bq7SDbjCUAE8qtP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The high profile hand ball. It could be something FIFA take into consideration when deciding punishment, that he has "brought the game into disrepute" before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Ah hear...I hate Liverpool and Suarez as much as the next man but 12 months? Are you off your head?

What he did was completely unacceptable, and a near 2 month subsequently followed by a near 3 month ban wasn't enough to stop him doing it yet again. So why is 12 months too harsh?

If he was a dog you'd put him down.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

MD1990 wrote: »
    Bq7SDbjCUAE8qtP.jpg

The one on the left is shopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

glued wrote: »
    Can Fifa ban him from club and country? Biting someone is crazy and disgusting but does it really deserve a huge ban? It's not the worst thing to happen on a pitch.

FIFA can ban him Internationally. Not sure about domestically. Would UEFA even be able to ban him domestically or would it be up to the FA? Even if they did, he'd appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jaysus what is the world coming to... so suarez bites someone and you play the card poor little luis could do with counselling a ban will not help anyone... sure slap him on the back and say job well done mate...

the world has gone nuts

Yeah, knew when I seen who the poster was they'd reply missing a rather important part of my post and miss the context. Btw that's where I said he should be banned, it'll not do much good imo because the last 2 haven't been that successful.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The high profile hand ball. It could be something FIFA take into consideration when deciding punishment, that he has "brought the game into disrepute" before.

Lol. come off it, he handled a ball and was sent off!!

Others have done the same in high profile games. I'd expect nothing less from a player from my team to save the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

FA aren't going to ban him. Opens a huge can of worms and clubs would be even more reluctantly to let their players go and play in friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If he was a dog...

In all seriousness though liverpool fans must not know what to think.

1. No risk of injury now
    2. Madrid/barca will not go near him now
    3. He may get an extremely heavy ban from football in general or just from internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Suarez has a real appetite for the game :p

Well Brendan said he wanted hungry players at Liverpool. #BlameRodgers

why so?

You missed the point by about Mars.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, knew when I seen who the poster was they'd reply missing a rather important part of my post and miss the context. Btw that's where I said he should be banned, it'll not do much good imo because the last 2 haven't been that successful.
    lets not make discussions personal k9 if you dont mind

• Advertisement

Others have done the same in high profile games. I'd expect nothing less from a player from my team to save the game.

Come off what? I am not suggesting it should be considered, I am speculating, nothing more nothing less. I don't know what FIFA will do, you would think they would take a players previous into consideration wouldn't you?

It doesn't matter what you, or me expect our player to do, it matters whether FIFA might see this as a chance to put the boot in and get their own back. Maybe it won't be a factor at all.

Relax.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Does Suarez have shares in tetanus vaccines or something? The chap clearly has issues if he can't stop biting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

What he did was completely unacceptable, and a near 2 month subsequently followed by a near 3 month ban wasn't enough to stop him doing it yet again. So why is 12 months too harsh?

If Suarez was my dog I'd defo sell to Real Madrid . Or Fossets circus , a deadly football playing dog , who wouldn't pay to see that .

You missed the point by about Mars.
    by about mars?? hmm

Come off what? I am not suggesting it should be considered, I am speculating, nothing more nothing less. I don't know what FIFA will do, you would think they would take a players previous into consideration wouldn't you?

It doesn't matter what you, or me expect our player to do, it matters whether FIFA might see this as a chance to put the boot in and get their own back. Maybe it won't be a factor at all.

Relax.

I'm just saying they shouldn't take a handball into consideration.

The bite was enough, I don't think they'll need any other backup material!

by about mars?? hmm

Yep that distance!

Is a club responsible for their players on International duty?

FA aren't going to ban him. Opens a huge can of worms and clubs would be even more reluctantly to let their players go and play in friendlies.

FA definitely won't ban him, they will distance themselves, while supporting whatever FIFA decide publicly I suppose. They will want the leagues star player available to play

I don't think FIFA can ban him domestically, can they suspend his registration maybe? I am sure he could appeal it though and I doubt FIFA would try it anyway, I would expect a lengthy enough international ban though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Yes it was unacceptable but 12 months is ridiculous. What other offences have ever attracted a 12 month ban? Maybe bans are no good for Suarez. It seems to be some sort of instinctive reaction. While the offence deserves a proportional ban, maybe he needs some sort of other help to stop doing it again.

As for the dog analogy - it's beyond stupid in this context. Leave it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So BBC showed an interview Chiellini did with SKY Italy, if there were marks why did he not show them?

• Advertisement

Is a club responsible for their players on International duty?
    tbh i dont know i imagine they would be contractually obliged to behave lawfully so as not to harm the clubs stature and credibility

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Can we not leave utd out of it for once.

lol
    I'm not defending him. He is a nutjob. I'm just saying there are loads of brilliant players that were flawed like him before such as utd players and there will be in the future.
    You can't be comparing assaulting a member of the public on live TV with a bite surely.
    If cantona was a dog and jumped into the crowd he would have been put down. If Keane was a dog and went to break Hallands leg, he would be out down. What's your point.

:pac:

I'm just saying they shouldn't take a handball into consideration.

The bite was enough, I don't think they'll need any other backup material!

I understand what you are saying, but when you are charged with an offence and I think it is pretty clear he is going to be found guilty also, your previous disciplinary record is something I think they may look at when weighing up a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Suarez: "I got a knock to the eye"

So that's why he was holding his teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Is football the only game where explicit cheating is demanded by fans? Club football too I imagine.

So BBC showed an interview Chiellini did with SKY Italy, if there were marks why did he not show them?

Are you denying the bite?

He already showed them. He can't go naked in all interviews.

I don't think FIFA can ban him domestically

Yes, they can, in fact they can even prevent him from training if they impose a total football ban. All member associations are responsible for enforcing FIFA's sanctions else they face being kicked out.

lol

:pac:

Not the quickest tonight I'm guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fantastic logic.

Marks from another angle in case you think the original was photoshopped.
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/gallery/2014/jun/24/luis-suarez-giorgio-chiellini-world-cup-pictures-gallery#/?picture=440370225&index=8

It doesn't like it broke the skin so the marks probably faded after the match.

Is football the only game where explicit cheating is demanded by fans? Club football too I imagine.

Well if Clare were winning the all ireland by two points and a Kilkenny man was through on goals. I would hope he would take him down. I'd be pissed off he didn't.

tbh i dont know i imagine they would be contractually obliged to behave lawfully so as not to harm the clubs stature and credibility

That's a relationship between the club and it's player directly.
    Not my question.

When sanctions are being dished out at International level is the players club in the firing line?

I would find it hard to believe they would be, and would be unfair to punish a club for the actions of a player on International duty who is under control by a totally different coach and organisation.

FA definitely won't ban him, they will distance themselves, while supporting whatever FIFA decide publicly I suppose. They will want the leagues star player available to play

I don't think FIFA can ban him domestically, can they suspend his registration maybe? I am sure he could appeal it though and I doubt FIFA would try it anyway, I would expect a lengthy enough international ban though

The FA is not liverpool. The premiership does not either depend on liverpool doing well or Suarez playing.

This game was watched by millions. Maybe billions. The World Cup is a FIFA showcase. They are already under the microscope with Qatar. They can hardly just ignore this. Any ban will probably be large and apply at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Not the quickest tonight I'm guessing.

Is that what goes for a joke these days? It is clear you brought up United on your own, so referencing that kind of tells its own story.

• Advertisement

That's a relationship between the club and it's player directly.
    Not my question.

When sanctions are being dished out at International level is the players club in the firing line?

I would find it hard to believe they would be, and would be unfair to punish a club for the actions of a player in International duty who is under the a totally different coach and organisation.

The FA is an associate member of FIFA. It has to abide by those rules.

As for the dog analogy - it's beyond stupid in this context. Leave it out.

Uhhh... No it isn't. Why do we put dogs down? So we can prevent them from doing it again...

Suarez has demonstrated he cannot be stopped from biting on the field so the best thing to do would be to remove him from the football field. A lengthy ban would be a far more humane way of doing this than putting him down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The FA is not liverpool. The premiership does not either depend on liverpool doing well or Suarez playing.

This game was watched by millions. Maybe billions. The World Cup is a FIFA showcase. They are already under the microscope with Qatar. They can hardly just ignore this. Any ban will probably be large and apply at club level.

They won't ignore, but they won't ban him at club level.

Yes it was unacceptable but 12 months is ridiculous. What other offences have ever attracted a 12 month ban?

Barthez received a 6 month ban for just spitting by the way, back in 2005. There is precedent.

Right

Would you accept that the FA if possible would probably like to see Suarez playing the in the English league next season though?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement