Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The FA is an associate member of FIFA. It has to abide by those rules.

I never questioned that!?

FIFA deal with an incident during an International match, at International level.

Where/Why does a domestic league cross over happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Agueroooo wrote: »
    That's a relationship between the club and it's player directly.
    Not my question.

When sanctions are being dished out at International level is the players club in the firing line?

I would find it hard to believe they would be, and would be unfair to punish a club for the actions of a player on International duty who is under control by a totally different coach and organisation.
    i wouldnt want pool punished for his actions but his ban must be across all boards otherwise its pointless banning him. i am sure pool will not have to pay his salary if he is outright banned for a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

They won't ignore, but they won't ban him at club level.

It probably works like the IOC. Get banned from the Olympics, say for drug use, and you are banned domestically too. For the duration. This is so rare in football that people think the associations ( from which association football gets it's nickname) are not that closely aligned but probably a FIFA ban is for all associations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They won't ignore, but they won't ban him at club level.

Lots of people seem to be suggesting it, Haven't seen any examples of it though. Maybe for match fixing or drugs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

i wouldnt want pool punished for his actions but his ban must be across all boards otherwise its pointless banning him. i am sure pool will not have to pay his salary if he is outright banned for a time

Right so if a player deliberately mamed
    another player ending their career during a domestic league game do they get banned from International games?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

another player ending their career during a domestic league game do they get banned from International games?

No.

I would imagine he would actually, if you can prove he deliberately maimed and ended another players career.

He would never play football again surely and would probably face some jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Barthez received a 6 month ban for just spitting by the way, back in 2005. There is precedent.

How is the 6 month Barthez ban a precedent for a 12 month ban for Suarez.

You also conveniently fail to mention that Barthez spat at a referee.

No.
    but a repeated offense and behavioural issues at highest level would justify an outright ban.. break one leg domestic banning but go on a spree and draw major attention to player. add to that corruption in game qatar factor and fifa could use suarez as an example to all

Uhhh... No it isn't. Why do we put dogs down? So we can prevent them from doing it again...

Suarez has demonstrated he cannot be stopped from biting on the field so the best thing to do would be to remove him from the football field. A lengthy ban would be a far more humane way of doing this than putting him down.

It's difficult to argue with this sort of logic.

No.

Generally sub associations can't tell their super associations what to do.

• Advertisement

DeanAustin wrote: »

Why does it matter he spat at a referee?

Surely biting is worse than spitting?

Surely biting is worse than spitting?
    definitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

kryogen wrote: »
    Why does it matter he spat at a referee?

What's worse? Punching me or punching a guard?

This may be relevant.

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/fifa-bans-franz-beckenbauer-90-days-aiding-probe-qatar-bid-article-1.1828785#bmb=1

Beckenbauer is being investigated over Qatar, refuses to cooperate and...

FIFA suspensions relating to “any football-related activity, at any level” typically include attending matches and meeting other football officials

At any level.

Gbear wrote: »

They are both the same. Attacking another person, is attacking another person. Why would it matter what job you do?

Generally sub associations can't tell their super associations what to do.

Ohh I agree but I'm trying to show what a precedent it would be for a blanket ban to be imposed.

I'm not saying it won't and I wouldn't be surprised, but some of the shíte talking about 2yrs, or season long bans is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I remember when I was a kid growing up watching football on TV which was a rare enough event back then (42 now), and yeah there were a few hard men knocking about. I particularly remember the challenge by Schumacher on Battiston in 82 which nearly resulted in a decapitation, Battiston actually slipped into a coma as a result of the challenge. Needless to say Schumacher wasn't even booked. But I still vividly remember that incident and Harold Schumacher. It is infamous in terms of shocking behaviour, cynicism, brutality.
    But Suarez, particularly after his moan fest about the English media not respecting him is the biggest professional disgrace football has ever know. He sets such a bad example, to kids especially who will remember him for nothing else that the game must rid itself of this type of character. He must be banned for a minimum of 2 years, Ben Johnson brought his sport into disgrace and got banned for life, Suarez, after 3 biting incidents now, deserves the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

This thread is getting weirder by the minute.

• Advertisement

• Agueroooo wrote: »
    I never questioned that!?

FIFA deal with an incident during an International match, at International level.

Where/Why does a domestic league cross over happen?

Lol unbelievable jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Posters chewing the fat here. Suarez will not get banned from playing with Liverpool in domestic or European football over what happened tonight. He might get an international ban, but unlikely I'd say.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol unbelievable jeff

As usual I have no fûcking clue what you are on about.

Next..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So BBC showed an interview Chiellini did with SKY Italy, if there were marks why did he not show them?

Did you expect him to whip off his shirt in front of every reporter he met tonight?
    Did Ivanovich?
    What an odd thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The amount of people posting what they want to happen under the guise of what could happen is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It was for spitting. Spitting. It might have been on a referee but spitting is a long way away from a bite. THe worst damage it can do is emotional for a start...
    It's difficult to argue with this sort of logic.

I don't see you attempting to argue? You seem more focused on deflecting from my points.

Can I ask a question? Why should professional players be expected to take the field against someone who has repeatedly displayed they cannot be prevented from endangering others safety? Why should players be expected to risk scarring and/or infection just because someone is a good footballer?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Did you expect him to whip off his shirt in front of every reporter he met tonight?
    Did Ivanovich?
    What an odd thing to say.

Some people clearly havent moved past the "did he bite him?" question which was answered 3 hours ago

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Some people clearly havent moved past the "did he bite him?" question which was answered 3 hours ago

I know, some people are posting what they wish happened under the guise of what actually did happen.

• Agueroooo wrote: »
    As usual I have no fûcking clue what you are on about.

Next..

You will find some way to worm around your posts to defend this player thats whats unbelievable jeff

They are both the same. Attacking another person, is attacking another person. Why would it matter what job you do?

Ah you're having a laugh. The ref is the authority figure in a game of football. Of course any attack against the ref is going to carry a heavier punishment. Football authorities the world over agree with me. To give two examples:

What player has ever been suspended for 6 months for spitting at another player?

Di Canio got an 11 match ban for pushing a ref. He'd have gotten no such ban for pushing an opposing player.

If you don't get that point, stay out of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lennonist wrote: »
    Posters chewing the fat here. Suarez will not get banned from playing with Liverpool in domestic or European football over what happened tonight. He might get an international ban, but unlikely I'd say.

Haha, chewing the fat. Choice words sir!!

I think he should be banned for six months from every form of football.
    Hes had his chances at this stage, he's not learning.
    Time to up the consequences for him.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The amount of people posting what they want to happen under the guise of what could happen is hilarious.

The number of liverpool fans who think nothing will happen is more hilarious.

Full disclosure here. I support no English club team and liked the way liverpool played this year. I also think the racism thing was overplayed. But there could well be a ban which affects Suarez domestically. FIFA can't do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'm not sure is it still the case but for a long time murdering a guard was considered "capital murder" and had a more severe punishment associated with it.

The referee is impartial and not involved directly in the game. Any attack on them would be considered a more serious offence than one on a player - an attack on the game itself rather than on one individual.

Edit: So I'd imagine the same thought process is at play in both situations. That's what I was on about with the analogy.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You will find some way to worm around your posts to defend this player thats whats unbelievable jeff

Strike two!

Who's defending Suarez?
    Where have I defended Suarez?
    And why are you calling me Jeff?

I won't hold my breath for answers to the above as I have a measure of you by now.

I know, some people are posting what they wish happened under the guise of what actually did happen.

Yes but the ref and his assistants missed it, so any retrospective judgement will be limited. It definitely won't affect his club career.

It was for spitting. Spitting. It might have been on a referee but spitting is a long way away from a bite. THe worst damage it can do is emotional for a start...

I don't see you attempting to argue? You seem more focused on deflecting from my points.

Can I ask a question? Why should professional players be expected to take the field against someone who has repeatedly displayed they cannot be prevented from endangering others safety? Why should players be expected to risk scarring and/or infection just because someone is a good footballer?

Ah look. A ref is an authority figure in a game of football. An attack on him has to carry a more severe punishment than if you attack an opponent in a similar fashion.

As for the animal analogies. Well, if Jim Beglin had been a horse, you'd have put him down in the 80s. It's a ridiculous argument.

Yes but the ref and his assistants missed it, so any retrospective judgement will be limited. It definitely won't affect his club career.

I'm not talking about that. It seems there are some that still think he didn't bite him.

Ah you're having a laugh. The ref is the authority figure in a game of football. Of course any attack against the ref is going to carry a heavier punishment. Football authorities the world over agree with me. To give two examples:

What player has ever been suspended for 6 months for spitting at another player?

Di Canio got an 11 match ban for pushing a ref. He'd have gotten no such ban for pushing an opposing player.

If you don't get that point, stay out of the debate.

Yes boss, sorry boss, won't happen again boss.

Panthro wrote: »
    Haha, chewing the fat. Choice words sir!!

I think he should be banned for six months from every form of football.
    Hes had his chances at this stage, he's not learning.
    Time to up the consequences for him.

Doubt that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭josh101st

Missed the match what was the score in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Strike two!

Who's defending Suarez?
    Where have I defended Suarez?
    And why are you calling me Jeff?

I won't hold my breath for answers to the above as I have a measure of you by now.

If you want I can compile the nonsense from the nonsense posters?

But I don't think that's necessary considering we all know where the idiocy is coming from.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure is it still the case but for a long time murdering a guard was considered "capital murder" and had a more severe punishment associated with it.

The referee is impartial and not involved directly in the game. Any attack on them would be considered a more serious offence than one on a player - an attack on the game itself rather than on one individual.

Edit: So I'd imagine the same thought process is at play in both situations. That's what I was on about with the analogy.

You know what, you are probably right, it should not be that way in terms of spitting, biting or punching, it should be stamped out the same way regardless of who the victim is. I accept your point though.

josh101st wrote: »

Bitey teeth.

Bitey teeth.

yeah i heard about that part just googled.the score anyway so Uruguay are now ****ed that Suarez will be banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

josh101st wrote: »

I won't tell you the score because I don't want to ruin it for you but let's just says it's a game you'll really sink your teeth into... Nudge nudge... Wink wink!!

What do you mean? I thought if the ref and assistants don't see anything then the governing body is free to do what they like retrospectively?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

BBC News reporter saying maximum is up to 24 matches or 2 years, that doesn't sound like it means club matches at all. Unless people want new rules for Suarez.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

It's true that the penalties are more severe for attacking refs.

That said if Suarez had bitten off the ref's penis liverpool fans would see it as an international incident only, no domestic bans expected, overall good for Liverpool.

Panthro wrote: »
    I won't tell you the score because I don't want to ruin it for you but let's just says it's a game you'll really sink your teeth into... Nudge nudge... Wink wink!!

haha yep watching the highlights now, heard about Suarez though all i can say is he needs to be in the next snickers ad cause hes a real diva when hes hungry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's true that the penalties are more severe for attacking refs.

That said if Suarez had bitten off the ref's penis liverpool fans would see it as an international incident only, no domestic bans expected, overall good for Liverpool.

They'd say he was only trying to floss his teeth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement