Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah look. A ref is an authority figure in a game of football. An attack on him has to carry a more severe punishment than if you attack an opponent in a similar fashion.

True. But a bite is a much more agressive form of assault than an elbow or punch (and potentially much more damaging). If a player gets an extended ban for simply an elbow or punch surely he should be able to expect a ban in terms of months.
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    As for the animal analogies. Well, if Jim Beglin had been a horse, you'd have put him down in the 80s. It's a ridiculous argument.

There was no mention of animals in my previous post. And you still didn't answer my question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Not bothered reading the whole thread but I'd find it extraordinary if there are people defending him at this stage.

3 times now he's bitten people in his career. He clearly has extraordinary psychological and anger issues which need to be fully addressed before he steps out onto any football pitch again. I'd imagine FIFA can't really ban him domestically so he'll probably be okay for the new domestic season but if that's the case, he deserves a lengthy international ban. This is FIFA's biggest chance to showcase the beautiful game, and he's brought the game into disrepute. Because he's a repeat offender, I'd be expecting a ban of years in length, not a set number of matches.

I'd prefer if he got a domestic ban too really, but I see no way that that can happen without setting a precedent.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

It's true that the penalties are more severe for attacking refs.

That said if Suarez had bitten off the ref's penis liverpool fans would see it as an international incident only, no domestic bans expected, overall good for Liverpool.

You're creating a ridiculous piece of fiction to try and prove a matter fact, or make a silly point?

Suarez bit another player and the process of retrospective investigation/action looks to have now begun.

Will any punishment be across both Int and domestic league levels?

It's not a hard point to stick to now, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    You're creating a ridiculous piece of fiction to try and prove a matter fact?

Suarez bit another player and the process of retrospective investigation/action looks to have now begun.

Are you making the rules now? Who said that's the point we have to stick to?

Are you making the rules now? Who said that's the point we have to stick to?

It has been the context of the discussion now for the past few pages.

Do
    Keep
    Up

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    BBC News reporter saying maximum is up to 24 matches or 2 years, that doesn't sound like it means club matches at all. Unless people want new rules for Suarez.

According to the Guardian any ban can indeed be applied towards domestic matches as well internationals. It's not happened before, but then we've never had a professional footballer bite an opponent on three different occasions before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Best World Cup ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It may have been posted already, but this is probably the best view I've seen of the incident:

phdzcy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The angles shown on TV, the pictures with teeth marks and all that meant nothing. You couldn't see the bite and still pictures can be doctored.

But this angle makes it plain as day.

phdzcy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

K-9 wrote: »
    BBC News reporter saying maximum is up to 24 matches or 2 years, that doesn't sound like it means club matches at all. Unless people want new rules for Suarez.

id settle for a way of effectively muzzling him. it doesn't matter if its a 2 game or 2 year ban he didn't seem to learn after the last biting incident

its a ****ing shame too atm his legacy in football will be more about him acting the ballbag than him being one of the most talented players in the world

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    It may have been posted already, but this is probably the best view I've seen of the incident:

and will more than likely be the one that sees his World Cup rightly brought to a premature end

It has been the context of the discussion now for the past few pages.

Do
    Keep
    Up

Nobody has to stick to any particular point. Least of all what you say.

Nothing to keep up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

It is just utterly bizarre watching it, a bizarre thing to do once, let alone three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Pretty sad about Prandelli's resignation :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

phdzcy.gif
    wow just wow...... thanks that is as clear as day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Really is disgusting

• Remember when UFC started? Think the first rules were no eye gouging and no biting.
    If you’re breaking UFC rules in a soccer match, you’ve got a problem

Above just proves it too

phdzcy.gif

He actually bites him twice there. Doesn't get enough purchase the first time, so goes back a second time to clamp down on the whole shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

You're creating a ridiculous piece of fiction to try and prove a matter fact, or make a silly point?

It was a joke. Obviously not all liverpool fans would defend Suarez if he ate the refs penis. Just some.

Anyway I already posted a link about how a FIFA ruling applied to all levels of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kryogen wrote: »
    Really is disgusting

Disgusting and baffling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

A truly disgusting act the first time he did it, second time was abhorrent and now the third time it's reprehensible.

How some people continue to defend him, make excuses for him and say things like "but he's our little scamp" is truly bizarre.

Footballistic talent aside, There must come a point where having a person like that, a person who'd carry out such an act on three occasions, associated with the club you support becomes just simply embarrassing.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Disgusting and baffling

I hadn't been watching the match, what was the reason (I know, I know) for it? Was he provoked in some way like just before that? Frustration? I still haven't watched the highlights, will do when I get home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I hadn't been watching the match, what was the reason (I know, I know) for it? Was he provoked in some way like just before that? Frustration? I still haven't watched the highlights, will do when I get home

no, he just decided to take a chunk of the shoulder, then he went down holding his face, as if the defender had attacked him, trying to get the defender sent off for an elbow.

It's not the first time he's bitten someone, and it's also not the first time he's fouled a player only to pretend he himself has been hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Hungry is the best guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i think it was frustration, Uruguay drawing going out, he decides to bite him hoping he'll lash out at him & get a penalty

he knew what he was doing & has no problem with.
    i don't think he has psychological or anger problems at all, as everyone likes to think.
    he's just dirty - plenty of lads would bite you if you were in a fight with them

I also think he has done himself no favours at all with his post match comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Anyone else notice Gaston Ramirez trying to prevent Chielleni from showing the ref the bite marks? How can his team mates defend this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He actually bites him twice there. Doesn't get enough purchase the first time, so goes back a second time to clamp down on the whole shoulder.
    Yeah the Bakkal bite had more purchase & left a bigger mark. So id say just a 5 game ban for this bite;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice Gaston Ramirez trying to prevent Chielleni from showing the ref the bite marks? How can his team mates defend this?

Because they want to win? I'd do the same.

• Advertisement

I also think he has done himself no favours at all with his post match comments
    what did he say post match??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Needs more parmesan.

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    maybe thatbehaviour is good in uruguay

Needs more parmesan.
    post of the day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Suarez is probably just a quarter tiger on his dad's side. His black grandad probably got involved with PETA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

quarryman wrote: »
    Well well well. Here we are again. What a surprise.

There is no doubt he intended (and succeeded) in biting Chiellini. That can't be argued with.

I think what struck me more (this time!) was the instant claim HE was the victim, clutching his face in attempt to get Chiellini booked off. Writhing around like he had been shot in the eye.

What a completely disgusting coward.

It was a cowardly act. There is no better description. He is a disgrace to the sport and I would be ashamed to have to explain that to my son, were he old enough to understand it.

It boggles the mind that certain posters on here will defend him and play the incident down. What he did was assault another player and then instinctively try blame the victim to hide the crime. Combined, these are the elements that destroy the modern game.

Hang him from the rafters.

You'll like this 2 footed studs up challenge at Ajax. Doesn't fully connect, but pretends to be injured:

luissuarezoutrageoustac.gif

Interesting article here:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22246344
    Sports Psychologist says after his last bite:
    "I would think that in five years' time if there was a certain nerve hit or chord rung with Suarez in a different situation he would react in the same way."

• Advertisement

These things happen in the box, he got a blow to the eye etc

If he had come out and apologised straight away I think it would have been far more beneficial to him. He straight away tried to pretend nothing had really happened, not a big deal when it is a huge ****ing deal in fact.

Some reactions already out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/luis-suarez/10923852/Luis-Suarez-needs-help-after-biting-Giorgio-Chiellini-what-he-did-was-not-just-rash-but-entirely-self-destructive.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/luis-suarez/10924131/Luis-Suarez-faces-lengthy-ban-for-biting-Italy-defender-Giorgio-Chiellini-in-World-Cup-clash-as-Fifa-investigate.html

A quote from FIFA vice president
    Jim boyce wrote:
    Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce says football's world governing body 'must investigate' Luis Suarez.
    Boyce adds: "I have watched the incident several times on television.
    "There is no doubt Luis Suarez is a fantastic footballer but once again his actions have left him open to severe criticism.
    "There is no doubt that Fifa must investigate this incident very seriously and take whatever action is deemed necessary."

It is certainly a huge problem for him, one that he needs to sort out once and for all because he will end up tarnishing his legacy beyond repair, this vine has a collection of the bites

https://vine.co/v/MtJwm0p3Jwh

Cienciano wrote: »
    You'll like this 2 footed studs up challenge at Ajax. Doesn't fully connect, but pretends to be injured:

luissuarezoutrageoustac.gif

Remember the first time I saw that, I have never liked him since then, it was a cowards tackle if ever there was one, and then to fake injury after it?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

On another note, really disappointed for the Italians. Thought they could have a decent tournament given their excellent Euro 2012 campaign under Prandelli. Thought Ballotelli, bar that goal against England in the first game, was utterly undependable per usual. Sad to see Pirlo for the last time on the international stage probably.

Remember the first time I saw that, I have never liked him since then, it was a cowards tackle if ever there was one, and then to fake injury after it?!
    disgusting tackle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

All said and done, whatever happens at the WC stays at the WC pretty much.

As much as as fans of other EPL fans want, Suarez probably won't face any sanctions in England. And unless Real or Barca come in for him with a big bid, after the WC you can be pretty much gaurentee that he'll start for LFC in August and play CL football. The chap may be crazy competitive but he will continue to destroy Premier League defences because he is one of the best in the world and both the Liverpool owners and manager know this.

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »
    All said and done, whatever happens at the WC stays at the WC pretty much.

As much as as fans of other EPL fans want, Suarez probably won't face any sanctions in England. And unless Real or Barca come in for him with a big bid, after the WC you can be pretty much gaurentee that he'll start for LFC in August and play CL football. The chap may be crazy competitive but he will continue to destroy Premier League defences because he is one of the best in the world and both the Liverpool owners and manager know this.
    bigger than the club? pool should cash in on this liability asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Disgusting and baffling

Has there ever been a player, in the history of the game, who did something like this as often?

That fact that it is 2014 and here is he is, on the biggest stage, biting yet another person makes it all the more surreal and disturbing.

I honestly don't know where to go from here with regards to him. He's undoubtedly one of the greatest players I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt, but if he was even half the talent I'd be baying for his flight back to England to be canceled and for the Club to leave him in Brazil.

I understand my hypocrisy here, but I'm finding it awfully hard to relinquish the sheer giddy joy that he brings at times when playing his best stuff without all the controversy.

His fear of failure must be phenomenal to make him do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I'd say he took about £20m off his valuation tonight.

no doubt.. he wants away from pool to spain he has not helped himself tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

From one of Kryogen's links:
    Uruguay skipper Diego Lugano said: "You couldn't have seen it today because nothing happened. The worst of everything is the attitude of Chiellini."

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Back to where he was before the England game so!

There is gonna be some outrageous stuff circling around in the next few weeks, on both sides of the fence. Some will say he should be banned for life, or put on trial, more will be still saying it was a mere coming together, or the ol', "sure it was nothing, these things happen" argument.

The truth will probably lie somewhere in the middle. One thing is for sure, there's no denying when the red mist descends, he's an absolute headcase.

Cienciano wrote: »
    From one of Kryogen's links:

:eek:

I await a similar response from Gus Poyet in the near future. It's incredible the way they try and blame everyone but poor little Luis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm stunned that there is an element out there, outside of Uruguay, who are trying to defend him at this stage. That sort of carry on is a disgrace and, no matter how good he is, it shouldn't be tolerated. I hope FIFA come down hard on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As for the game today- A dull affair. It looked like Italy were going to Italy their way to the desired result, until the sending off, which I thought was a fair enough decision, even if I've seen players getting away with the like many a time.
    In retrospect there seems to have been an inevitability about Uruguay's winner, but as things were unfolding I could have easily seen the Italians hanging on to get what they wanted.

I find it hard to sympathize with Italy. They were flat against Costa Rica and the same again today. Interesting to see that three of the national sides of the supposed best leagues in the world have been turfed out at this early stage.

My position on Suarez is that it was, from the point of view of good sportsmanship, pretty despicable what he got up today. A deserved sending off and he'll probably get a justifiably long ban. You just can't go around biting people on the pitch.

However, there is also another contradictory voice in the back of my head, that can acknowledge the madness and badness of what he did, but also is a little bit delighted that it happened. It was spectacularly entertaining and if you can't laugh at the ridiculous nature of it all, well then I feel for you a bit.

In short, I can't condone it but I did enjoy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why? If anything Suarez took away from his worth tonight. Both in terms of reputation and monetary value. I doubt that John Henry or Brendan Rodgers will want to be rid of him. He is the best striker in the EPL hands down and has the accolades to prove it.

He'll stay at LFC now. Cannot see Real making a bid, doubt Barca would be in for him with their problems.

He might be banned from Uruguay's remaining games but to Suarez it's a small price to pay to see them advance. He has done similar things like blocking the goal on the line.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement