Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Augmerson wrote: »
    If some people think that Suarez actions has diminished his worth, that's fine but I cannot see Liverpool accepting an offer lower than Suarez's true worth so Real or Madrid can try lowball all they want, won't happen.

If FIFA ban him from international and club football for a lengthy period, it would be naive to think his value wouldn't diminish.

I doubt they will ban him in club football though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I seriously find it hard to believe that
    1. Liverpool valued Suarez at 70 million to Barca/Madrid and 90 to other clubs last summer and
    2. That Suarez would have signed such a contract knowing he intended to move on at some point risking pricing him out of a move

Suarez wasn't worth 70-90 million last summer, only last season bumped him up to that IMO and such a season wouldn't have been foreseen

Anyway I don't think the biting incident will put off Real or Barca as long as he doesn't miss any clubs games as a result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Augmerson wrote: »
    Arsenal made the right offer last season and Liverpool said no despite the release clause being activated. They can do it a second time if they like unless they receive an offer that they like.

I never fully understood what happened there as I was away at the time.

If Arsenal met Suarez's release clause, would that not have taken Liverpool out of the equation?

I thought if a player's release clause is met then his current club has no say in transfer proceedings and the player can move if he likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i think suarez actions tonight has cost pool money

Hard to know, it hardly affected it last Summer. Thee club will look for what they think he's worth and if the release clauses are true, will do all right. Maybe not the 100 million that many thought possible, so in that sense yes, you're right. I'd say he's best to stay where he is, he didn't do much wrong at Liverpool last season.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I seriously find it hard to believe that
    1. Liverpool valued Suarez at 70 million to Barca/Madrid and 90 to other clubs last summer and
    2. That Suarez would have signed such a contract knowing he intended to move on at some point risking pricing him out of a move

Suarez wasn't worth 70-90 million last summer, only last season bumped him up to that IMO and such a season wouldn't have been foreseen

Anyway I don't think the biting incident will put off Real or Barca as long as he doesn't miss any clubs games as a result

The more reputable Liverpool journos say those are the figures, might be in euros though. Haven't really been taking it too seriously yet.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

K-9 wrote: »
    The more reputable Liverpool journos say those are the figures, might be in euros though. Haven't really been taking it too seriously yet.

That would make sense, I'm sure Liverpool will be livid if true though, £56 million pounds isn't much when you're replacing 30 goals

That would make sense, I'm sure Liverpool will be lived if true though, £56 million pounds isn't much when you're replacing 30 goals

Hindsight is great though, as you said I don't think anbody foreseen his amazing season and Liverpools performance, they were reasonable enough figures at the time. There was chat there was figures based on CL or not, haven't seen that mentioned lately. It's funny, the one thing that makes him one of the top 3 players in the world, his insane will to win and never giving up, is also his biggest drawback and why the other 2 are better. I suppose it didn't put Arsenal of last Summer, but I'd be more comfortable he'll stay after today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I just can't wrap my head around what makes him bite people. Alot of pool fans are making fun of the situation from other sites I've been browsing but deep down they must be thinking WTF like the majority of football fans.

I know when I played if I got frustrated I might kick someone or something similar, but jesus I never had any instinct to try and bite anyone, anytime in my life.

Something is really wrong with him, to do it 3 times and knowing he`ll able be found out on camera is something else. Clearly he has massive mental problems and to even try and contemplate it just makes your head spin.

If ever the term flawed genius applied to anyone its him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

nuxxx wrote: »
    If ever the term flawed genius applied to anyone its him

Genius? I think flawed is enough.

How someone could use the word genius for someone who is racist, and has a habit of biting other players, and this time, doing it on footballs biggest stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Genius? I think flawed is enough.

How someone could use the word genius for someone who is racist, and has a habit of biting other players, and this time, doing it on footballs biggest stage.

I think its fairly obvious I mean his skill as a player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lots of geniuses were sexist, racist, you name it.

One thing that struck me was why on earth would Suarez bite through the jersey? Maybe he learned human flesh doesn't taste nice without some fabric or . . .? Did he just mean to headbutt and got whalloped in teeth.

Part of the problem I have it's impossible to discern original pictures and chiellini was acting the maggot all game. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he simulated it.

Either way doesn't look good for Suarez and if he did bite a year ban would be proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Just throw a muzzle on him and get on with the game.

The refs nickname was Dracula!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

If Arsenal met Suarez's release clause, would that not have taken Liverpool out of the equation?

I thought if a player's release clause is met then his current club has no say in transfer proceedings and the player can move if he likes.

You'd have thought so alright. Apparently John Henry operates differently though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes, he was, what has changed is your perception of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Turtwig wrote: »
    Lots of geniuses were sexist, racist, you name it.

One thing that struck me was why on earth would Suarez bite through the jersey? Maybe he learned human flesh doesn't taste nice without some fabric or . . .? Did he just mean to headbutt and got whalloped in teeth.

Part of the problem I have it's impossible to discern original pictures and chiellini was acting the maggot all game. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he simulated it.

Either way doesn't look good for Suarez and if he did bite a year ban would be proper order.
    Seriously? This is twice now from you I think. There is video evidence that the bite took place. This thread is littered with it. Jesus Christ some people will go to any lengths to be ignorant of things.

Just looked back, the gif is quoted 2 posts after your previous comment asking if there's even a bite, 5 hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

The guardian have a piece.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/24/luis-suarez-bite-uruguay-ban-world-cup

The maximum ban is 24 games, never invoked. It's games not time. People are are saying 2 years because an international only ban of 24 games would be at least that long. You'd need some friendlies too.

It can technically include club games but that hasn't happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that he simulated it.
    Are you saying Chiellini moved his shoulder to Suarez's mouth, and forced his shoulder into Suarez's mouth to get good bite marks?

Ah I don't know why anyone is bothering to say he might not have bitten him, he absolutely did and will be punished by FIFA very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They didn't meet a release clause, not sure why someone who speaks in plain English keeps getting that wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

kryogen wrote: »
    They didn't meet a release clause, not sure why someone who speaks in plain English keeps getting that wrong :)

Well why is your owner lying here?

Arsenal did activate a release clause in Luis Suarez’s contract last summer when they made a £40m plus a pound offer for the Liverpool striker, but the Reds’ hierarchy rejected the bid because “contracts don’t seem to mean a lot”.
    That is the view of Liverpool owner John W Henry, who has revealed that the club refused to allow the Uruguayan to leave the club and are now reaping the benefits, with the 26-year-old agreeing a new four-and-a-half year contract to remain at Anfield.
    The Gunners thought they had activated a clause that would allow them to negotiate a move for Suarez, who was pushing for a move away from the club after they failed to secure European football at the end of last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

He's been charged anyway.

Hopefully a long suspension from all football, you can't have a player continually biting opponents and not learning from punishments

egghead. wrote: »
    Well why is your owner lying here?

Arsenal did activate a release clause in Luis Suarez’s contract last summer when they made a £40m plus a pound offer for the Liverpool striker, but the Reds’ hierarchy rejected the bid because “contracts don’t seem to mean a lot”.
    That is the view of Liverpool owner John W Henry, who has revealed that the club refused to allow the Uruguayan to leave the club and are now reaping the benefits, with the 26-year-old agreeing a new four-and-a-half year contract to remain at Anfield.
    The Gunners thought they had activated a clause that would allow them to negotiate a move for Suarez, who was pushing for a move away from the club after they failed to secure European football at the end of last season.

He doesn't own me :)

They sure did think they had activated a release clause, Suarez also seemed to think he had a release clause, but he didn't obviously, as if he did then Liverpool would not have been able to stand in his way.

The clause that was triggered was one that meant the club had to make him aware of the official bid is my understanding of it.

Release clauses in England are pretty straight forward, not like their Spanish counter parts.

Edit: Now to answer the point of why he would lie, I guess you could say it makes him look stronger to portray it in that light.

kryogen wrote: »
    He doesn't own me :)

They sure did think they had activated a release clause, Suarez also seemed to think he had a release clause, but he didn't obviously, as if he did then Liverpool would not have been able to stand in his way.

The clause that was triggered was one that meant the club had to make him aware of the official bid is my understanding of it.

Release clauses in England are pretty straight forward, not like their Spanish counter parts.

Edit: Now to answer the point of why he would lie, I guess you could say it makes him look stronger to portray it in that light.

You seem to know more about the running of clubs release clauses contracts and the thinking of John Henry, so I'm not going to try dispute it with you !

Its this blatent disregard for what he has done and failure to see or to admit it was wrong and it is not acceptable that will hopefully see FIFA take the hardest possible line. No remorse, no contrition. Just lies and deflection.
    the link wrote:
    Suárez defended himself on Uruguayan television after the match. “These situations happen on the pitch. We were both just inside the area; he struck me in the chest with his shoulder and he hit me in the eye as well,” he said. “These are things that happen on the pitch and you shouldn't attach so much importance to them.

• Advertisement

You seem to know more about the running of clubs release clauses contracts and the thinking of John Henry, so I'm not going to try dispute it with you !

There is plenty of stuff out there on the net to point you in the right direction about the situation, but here is what the PFA had to say on the matter which should be enough to clear it up?
    PFA wrote:
    PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor has seen the contract and confirmed: 'There is a clause in there that if Liverpool do not qualify for the Champions League and then they receive a minimum offer of £40million, then the parties will 'agree in good faith to discuss and negotiate in good faith' and see what transpires.
    'It is not a straightforwards buy-out clause and it doesn't say that is an automatic trigger for a move.'

Edit: Also, you shouldnt be put off by someone else knowing more then you about something. Just take the boards approach, if its what you think its obviously the truth and plow ahead despite any evidence to the contrary.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

He's been charged anyway.

Hopefully a long suspension from all football, you can't have a player continually biting opponents and not learning from punishments

I agree but it won't be a blanket ban imo.

It's no longer a case of Suarez the bad boy lets ban him - they guy needs professional help.
    There is a case here that he must seek professional help, and it's compulsory in any sanctions dished out.

I can see that being imposed on LFC alright and I would like to think we are a club that wouldn't turn our back on a person that needs some serious help with an ongoing mental issue.

There is definitely a case that this should have come sooner, but we are where we are, and this has gone beyond anything anyone has ever had to deal with when it comes to a player with such a talent, but such issues.

This is uncharted waters in so many levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

hopefully at least 15 games banned from all football. There's something mentally wrong with him, from agitating through racial abuse to biting players on at least 3 occassions.
    I don't blame liverpool for standing by him, a lengthy ban will put off madrid and barcelona, he's clearly hugely important to liverpool and they had no issue to support him during or after the racism hearing/verdict.

Agueroooo wrote: »

It's no longer a case of Suarez the bad boy lets ban him - they guy needs professional help.
    There is a case here that he must seek professional help, and it's compulsory in any sanctions dished out.

I can see that being imposed on LFC alright and I would like to think we are a club that wouldn't turn our back on a person that needs some serious help with an ongoing mental issue.

There is definitely a case that this should have come sooner, but we are where we are, and this has gone beyond anything anyone has ever had to deal with when it comes to a player with such a talent, but such issues.

playing the victim card :D

Leftist wrote: »

What you on about?

• Advertisement

Yeah, the poor guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did he just mean to headbutt and got whalloped in teeth.

You cannot be ****ing serious?

Yeah, the poor guy.

Nope and your vitriol is shining through.

Ban him and ban him good I say.

But it must be backed up with professional help which would be a basic responsibility of all parties involved.

You playing the looking to get a rise card? Seriously, it's the third time he has done it so it's pretty blindingly obvious he has problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What do you mean by that? Smiley face or no smiley face, that sort of bile has no place in reasonable discussion sir.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? Smiley face or no smiley face, that sort of bile has no place in reasonable discussion sir.

Leave it man and use it as a filter...sure look who thanks it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not sure he is playing the victim, but the Uruguayan (spelling?) media certainly are on his behalf, they think he is the victim of a British media plot. I particularly like the dig about the goal in the 66 final!

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/uruguayan-media-says-allegations-luis-suarez-bit-giorgio-chiellini-is-plot-by-english-press-similar-to-world-cup-1966/story-fni0cx12-1226966563975?nk=138eecd204fd84f09820b9de4fb8e383

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

But it must be backed up with professional help which would be a basic responsibility of all parties involved.

Suarez is a multimilionaire. If he wants professional help, he can hire a team of psychiatrists to be with him 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

this point is spot on.. ban the muck out of him but its obvious he needs help. in saying that mental health is so important he needs counselling imo.

not the first time I've read you trying to tell people to ignore a poster when you read something you don't like. Extremely childish.

this poster ^ is playing the victim card by suggesting that suarez doesn't know better and needs help. And through insidious means, is suggesting the remark has further, unrelated connotations thus invoking outrage.

Very dignified behaviour. Fitting of lfc?

• Advertisement

I would assuem that Suarez was indeed having sessions with that sports psychiatrist who was also working with Ronnie O'Sullivan, for most of last season.

Also, yes, Suarez and his cohorts ARE claiming he is the victim of a British plot, it's all very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Bq8qMSCIAAAfnhf.jpg

Caesar Milans new project in rehabilitation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I think some people are missing the point here. How long is it before he does something even more violent/physically destructive?

Taking yesterday's incident in isolation - yes, it was totally digusting and quite honestly, it isn't the behaviour you expect of a professional in any sport.

If yesterday was an isolated incident I would still condone him and would probably hope to see a three match ban, which I think would be fair.

However, looking back over his history and his general behaviour, it's obvious he has no respect for -

1) His teammates
    2) His national team (or in fact club)
    3) His opponents
    4) The rules imposed on the game
    5) Himself

This is now another reprehensible act in a long line - from his bite in Holland (which was pretty horrific), the handball against Ghana in the last World Cup and his subsequent behaviour after they missed the penalty, the racism row with Patrice Evra, the second bite against Branislav Ivanovic and now of course, against the bite against Georgio Chellini.

It's obvious he has a terrible anger problem, usually when things are not going his way. How long before he is jostling with a player in a sprint and he throws an elbow into his face? Or how about to a kick to a players head whilst he is on the ground? Or spitting in someone's face? Or a leg breaking tackle?

You might say "Well he has no history of that level of violence" (i.e. a career ending injury) but his past behaviour and plain refusal to learn from his bans and world wide criticisms means he is highly likely to do something again, potentially worse.

He needs a long ban and potentially help.

Liverpool do hold all the cards when he returns from international duty, but the media witch hunt he will suffer and his potential to once again cause disharmony with a proposed transfer from the club or more misbehaviour if he stays, means in my opinion they should cash in. They have Champions League football now - he will be hard to replace but my goodness, the clubs image would receive an immediate boost and the worries of him having himself sent off in a crucial Champions League tie lessened, just because the red mist came down.

What a disgrace of a human, whatever his abilities as a footballer, which is what makes the situation all the more tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Not a Pool fan. Suarez has to get a lengthy international ban. Not sure his club should suffer for something he did on international duty. The hyperbole from other clubs supporters is just a hope that a 2 yr ban from all football arises.

Suarez has serious issues, maybe even mental health issues. He needs help as well as the ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

having looked at his behaviour patterns all i can say is i honestly believe the guy has serious mental health issues. to bite someone is blatantly vile how he doesnt know the world has all eyes on him i dont know or maybe his behaviour is a huge cry for help.

while he had a fantastic season last year i still think lfc would be better off rid if only from a pr side of things as suarez has become a hate figure with his cheating and behaviour.

its sad really as he really is world class but completely volatile

Maybe the poster needs help just like Suarez.

So ignoring him isn't the answer the way ignoring Suarez mental health issues isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

The FA cant punish him if FIFA punish him and also the FA have no power over International football games.I would say a year ban from Uruguay and that actually helps Liverpool.I am a Liverpool fan and I could not give a dam who he eats as he puts BITE into our attack and never puts in a TOOTHLESS performance.YNWA

ALSO I WANT ONE OF THESE BOTTLE OPENERS
    article-2668058-1F17BE1000000578-931_634x857.jpg

Maybe the poster needs help just like Suarez.

So ignoring him isn't the answer the way ignoring Suarez mental health issues isn't the answer.

ignoring is just admitting you can't handle the questions. Cowardly.

alongside running around telling people not to play with this poster, or that poster...

doesn't paint a very masculine picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

The FA cant punish him if FIFA punish him

There is precedence though. Players have been banned from all football before. And it's not down to the FA....it's down to UEFA as they govern football in Europe. If they request a blanket ban from FIFA, it could be granted.

• Advertisement

This is isn't under UEFA's watch though. It doesn't seem there is any Fifa precedent except in match bribing scandals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement