Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy 17 : 00 Uruguay - there can be only one! (RTE2/ITV4)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Leftist wrote: »

this poster ^ is playing the victim card by suggesting that suarez doesn't know better and needs help.

no suggestion about it..the man just cant control himself.

He knew there was 100's of camera there to catch him?
    He knew if he did anything like that again he would be fúcked?

this is his third time.

Its a deeper issue imo than anyone on here can work out, and that's why I think professional help should be a fundamental part of any punishment/rehab.

no poor Suarez from me...same would apply to anyone as far as Im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

From the Guardian:
    Chiellini reacted with fury, pulling down the neck of his shirt to expose what photographs revealed to be a bite mark. The Mexican referee Marco Rodríguez – whose nickname is Dracula – took no action, as he did not have a clear view of the flashpoint, but Fifa has opened an investigation and Suárez, not for the first time, faces a lengthy ban.

FIFA's dark secrets know no bounds.

As for Suarez and possible mental issues: I think it's pretty clear that he does have behavioural problems, but that's not even close to making up for what he did.

I don't believe that you can use that as a way to try and get out of a punishment, unless you are insane in which case you shouldn't play football in the first case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

having looked at his behaviour patterns all i can say is i honestly believe the guy has serious mental health issues. to bite someone is blatantly vile how he doesnt know the world has all eyes on him i dont know or maybe his behaviour is a huge cry for help.

while he had a fantastic season last year i still think lfc would be better off rid if only from a pr side of things as suarez has become a hate figure with his cheating and behaviour.

its sad really as he really is world class but completely volatile

That's fair enough but why do you feel the need to tell us over and over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Agueroooo wrote: »
    no suggestion about it..the man just cant control himself.

He knew there was 100's of camera there to catch him?
    He knew if he did anything like that again he would be fúcked?

this is his third time.

Its a deeper issue imo than anyone on here can work out, and that's why I think professional help should be a fundamental part of any punishment/rehab.

no poor Suarez from me...same would apply to anyone as far as Im concerned.
    i would agree. the only issues i have are uruguay starting the ****e they have re a stitch up of poor luis and there seems to be an attitude from a few not all i know pool fans saying his 30 goals are worth having him at club and see this as positive as wont be able to get his move as he will be banned is terrible. i used to think no player was bigger than the club they played for but fear could be the case with lfc..

would i want him sold if he played for united?? yes without a doubt i would behaviour like that is an embarrassment

niallo27 wrote: »
    That's fair enough but why do you feel the need to tell us over and over again.
    how about contributing here rather than trying to stir the pot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

would i want him sold if he played for united?? yes without a doubt i would behaviour like that is an embarrassment

Fair enough but did you want Cantona sold after the Kung Fu kick?

kfallon wrote: »
    the kung fu kick was a once off and cantona had a wonderful career

so no i didnt want him sold as he wasnt constantly tarnishing clubs name with his behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

apples-and-oranges.jpg

i would agree. the only issues i have are uruguay starting the ****e they have re a stitch up of poor luis and there seems to be an attitude from a few not all i know pool fans saying his 30 goals are worth having him at club and see this as positive as wont be able to get his move as he will be banned is terrible. i used to think no player was bigger than the club they played for but fear could be the case with lfc..

honestly;I couldn't give a flying what the Uruguay manager or FA do, or say.

I am a Liverpool supporter and I am not seeing many back him up to the hilt.Yes (as always) there are a few ostriches with their head in the sand, but I am seeing a lot of supporters dumbfounded and find it utterly bizarre.

I am cool with Suarez staying at Liverpool, and seeing out his contract , but I would expect him to be receiving therapy over the coming months/years.
    Im guessing FIFA will want to see the same at a min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I remember thinking at the time, "fair f*cks to him"
    You could see the absolute hatred in that fans expression, you know for sure that what's coming out of his mouth is vitriolic bile. He should have been able to keep himself in check but he lost it and lashed out. There was a reason in that case.
    Suarez just bit a lad out of frustration... for the third time. There is a difference.

• Advertisement

the kung fu kick was a once off and cantona had a wonderful career

so no i didnt want him sold as he wasnt constantly tarnishing clubs name with his behaviour

What about the Moncur stamp when he was lying on the ground? The stuff over in Galatasaray at the end of the game with Police?

Not sure what the 'wonderful career' bit has to do with it either :confused:

You could see the absolute hatred in that fans expression, you know for sure that what's coming out of his mouth is vitriolic bile. He should have been able to keep himself in check but he lost it and lashed out. There was a reason in that case.
    Suarez just bit a lad out of frustration... for the third time. There is a difference.

Do you know what might have happened between Suarez and Chiellini throughout the game? I don't but for all I know Suarez may have been subjected to 'vitriotic bile' for the Italian. Maybe he wasn't either, I don't know and can't say for certain and neither can you tbh!

There could well have been a reason for Suarez reacting, you haven't a clue if there was, neither do I so don't pretend like you know everything that went on leading up to it.

It'll be a hefty punishment for Suarez anyway and deservedly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

Nothing to see here carry on.

how about contributing here rather than trying to stir the pot?

You are just posting the same thing over and over again. It adds nothing to the discussion.

could adidas have a bit of a say in this?

FIFA love their sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Ravenid wrote: »
    It seems FIFA are asking Suarez and Uruguay to respond to this under Articles 48 and 57 of the Disciplinary Code.

That only gives FIFA a max 2 match ban as punishment under Article 48 and a Warning, Reprimand, Fine or Return of Rewards under Article 57 (Via Article 10: Sanctions)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/worldcup/2014/0625/626326-suarez-and-uruguay-given-deadline-to-respond/

FIFA Disciplinary Code

you misses the "at least" bit :P

What about the Moncur stamp when he was lying on the ground? The stuff over in Galatasaray at the end of the game with Police?

Not sure what the 'wonderful career' bit has to do with it either :confused:
    this discussion isnt about cantonas high and low points.. he was provoked hence him lashing out.... suarez attacked on those occasions for no reason disgusting behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

fair fecks to him? Jaysus. I could understand what he did but hold him up as some type of hero? Between wanting to box a lad for days who'd bit you and the above, I worry about you !!!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    could adidas have a bit of a say in this?

FIFA love their sponsors.

New gumshield designed especially for Luis? Make it from unusual material like the boots he wore when Liverpool beat Utd???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

you misses the "at least" bit :P

Jesus I did and all. :o

Right Specsavers for me after work.

• Advertisement

You are just posting the same thing over and over again. It adds nothing to the discussion.
    i dont care about your opinion so jog on son. have a discussion rather than stir it or pm me if you want but lets keep things on topic for everyones sanity

this discussion isnt about cantonas high and low points.. he was provoked hence him lashing out.... suarez attacked on those occasions for no reason disgusting behaviour

You have no idea what may or may not have been said in all 3 instances with Suarez, there were no mics to pick it up! Nobody has the full facts. He may have been provoked, he may not have been, nobody knows for sure!

He should be able to rise above it.

Btw did Zidane do his headbutt for no reason?

New gumshield designed especially for Luis? Make it from unusual material like the boots he wore when Liverpool beat Utd???

I am expecting him to be kicked out of the World Cup and also the Copa America next summer which Uruguay are defending.

but I am thinking adidas would definitely feel the pinch if it is extended to the Copa America.

K-9 wrote: »
    fair fecks to him? Jaysus. I could understand what he did but hold him up as some type of h?ro! Between wanting to box a lad for days who'd bit you and the above, I worry about you !!!

Come down from your lollipop tree in buttercup land there twinkle-lips.
    He kicked him in the chest once. I didn't say he was a hero for it, footballers aren't machines and they often react when given reason, I can understand how he might have felt.

Unfortunately this thread is not about me and my charachter isn't up for discussion so keep your opinion of it to yourself.
    There's no need to worry about me either.

glued wrote: »
    The guy he kicked is a man of dozens of previous convictions including assaulting someone in front of 20+ children.

Matthew Simmons ran down 11 rows from where he was sitting to confront Cantona after Cantona got sent off to tell him to 'F*ck off back to France' and that he was 'a French Bastard'. This is a guy who is linked strongly to neo-nazis.

Let's stop pretending he kicked Mother Theresa.

Did cantona know this before he kicked him. If people are going to call Suarez a nutter at least recognise cantona was nuts as well. You can't call one a hero and the other a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Unbelievable.

Do you know what might have happened between Suarez and Chiellini throughout the game? I don't but for all I know Suarez may have been subjected to 'vitriotic bile' for the Italian. Maybe he wasn't either, I don't know and can't say for certain and neither can you tbh!

There could well have been a reason for Suarez reacting, you haven't a clue if there was, neither do I so don't pretend like you know everything that went on leading up to it.

It'll be a hefty punishment for Suarez anyway and deservedly so!

I don't know for sure but if it was me I'd have mentioned it in my defence. Do they even have a language in common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

He really is the gift that keeps on giving.

I completely understand some of the fans defending him. It's a case of 'he's a c@nt, but he's our c@nt'. All teams have this, although maybe their behaviour isn't quite on this level of depravity.

The guy obviously needs help, but i'm not sure if he'll receive the help that is in his best interest or that which serves the purposes of those with other agenda's ie his agent, sponsors, club and country.

It's practically Judy Garland symdrome where she was given enough help to keep her working, but not enough to fix her problems. The same applies to Suarez, and he'll be given just enough help so long as he continues to be someones cash cow.

You have no idea what may or may not have been said in all 3 instances with Suarez, there were no mics to pick it up! Nobody has the full facts. He may have been provoked, he may not have been, nobody knows for sure!

He should be able to rise above it.

Btw did Zidane do his headbutt for no reason?
    ok so he was provoked three times to the point of him coming at someone from behind and biting them when they werent looking #cowardly

the racism with evra sure that didnt happen no proof and the general cheating he goes on with. will you take off those rose tinted glasses you sound like they are affecting your views on suarez the saint

• Advertisement

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Unbelievable.

Great input, so insightful.

Did cantona know this before he kicked him. If people are going to call Suarez a nutter at least recognise cantona was nuts as well. You can't call one a hero and the other a scumbag.
    why would you call suarez a scumbag?? no need for that

I don't know for sure but if it was me I'd have mentioned it in my defence. Do they even have a language in common?

No idea, we don't know for sure!
    However I think a lot of people know swear words/insults in different languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Come down from your lollipop tree in buttercup land there twinkle-lips.
    He kicked him in the chest once. I didn't say he was a hero for it, footballers aren't machines and they often react when given reason, I can understand how he might have felt.

Unfortunately this thread is not about me and my charachter isn't up for discussion so keep your opinion of it to yourself.
    There's no need to worry about me either.

I was joking because I donLt believe either of your 2 posts are true at all, the one about the bite especially.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ok so he was provoked three times to the point of him coming at someone from behind and biting them when they werent looking #cowardly

the racism with evra sure that didnt happen no proof and the general cheating he goes on with. will you take off those rose tinted glasses you sound like they are affecting your views on suarez the saint

Sorry, I forgot he's the only player in the history of the world who has dived/simulated!

No idea, we don't know for sure!
    However I think a lot of people know swear words/insults in different languages
    you cant justify him coming from behind slyly trying to bite him not getting the bite he wanted and then chomping a second time to really try to hurt the guy....

#cowardly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Can we rename this the Utd vrs Liverpool thread?

Lol at the regs giving out about the newbies too. I mean what, they're going to drag the forum into petty rivalries?

Sorry, I forgot he's the only player in the history of the world who has dived/simulated!
    jesus you are scraping bottom of barrel now

I was joking because I donLt believe either of your 2 posts are true at all, the one about the bite especially.

I don't really care what you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Great input, so insightful.

Ditto. Wonderful use of sarcasm.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

phdzcy.gif
    Chiellini-bite.jpg
    428508.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I would have expected Cantona to have been sold by Man Utd the second time he Kung-Fu kicked a fan and banned from football altogether if he did it a third time.

By the time you get to a third offence disciplining clearly has no effect and you're dealing with a mental problem.

Suarez shouldn't be allowed on a football pitch again until his mental issues are sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Catanona was just smart enough to use different methods when he snapped. I said it in the Liverpool thread, but the main help they should give Suarez is to teach him to punch, kick or use his elbow the next time he snaps.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Catanona was just smart enough to use different methods when he snapped. I said it in the Liverpool thread, but the main help they should give Suarez is to teach him to punch, kick or use his elbow the next time he snaps.
    Oh don't worry, we already know that Suarez can be racist when he "snaps". Along with some of these beauties:
    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-luis-suarez-timeline-controversies-7321408

or to refrain from using violence???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

cantona did his time. I think biting on three separate occasions is enough to sanction a similar 8 month ban.

Cantona didn't need psychiatric help, neither does suarez. The latter is a cheat and has a temper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Right just given you a heads up, I'm going to start a Luis Suarez thread, relating to this incident and previous incidents so I'll give ye all a few posts to stop talking about it here and watch out for the new thread that I'll setup.

So take all your Suarez chat over their.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Going to change course here and talk about Italy for a second.

Solid setup for the game and never looked like conceding (even when they went down to 10 men) but there's always that chance with a set-piece. Didn't think it was a red card for Marchisio but the replays confirm it. Pirlo had a quiet game but probably wasn't helped by two under performers up top. I haven't seen much of Immobile this season but he obviously looked good for Torino (and scored goals), shame that didn't transfer over to the national team for this WC. Positioning was poor, caught offside way too much (tbf that goes for the entire team) and just looked a yard off the pace. And Balotelli had to be subbed as he was just a liability after 20 mins.

I'm not sure what other way Prandelli should have played that game. 3-5-2 was working perfectly but Balotelli and Immobile weren't. Cassano and the former instead? They didn't look like they were on the same wavelength vs Costa Rica. Any players left out that would have made a difference? Rossi?

Would be sad to see Mancini as the next manager but who else is in the running?

It's a shame to see Pirlo play his last game for Italy but at least Buffon is staying on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I have read through a lot of the thread and there are some things that astonish me being written here. Other things show how it really is.
    La Mer wrote: »
    "These things happen in the box. We were in contact, chest against shoulder, and I got a knock to the eye."
    – Luis Suarez speaking to the Uruguayan media

Some people need to know this.. this is football these things happen!

:D

Suarez comments after the game show how serious his mental issues are. The denial of the incident clearly recorded shows a serious lack of touch with reality, beyond what your normal rich footballer demonstrates.

Yeah, if something isn't working it's best to keep doing it! Yeah, seriously he deserves a ban but it's obvious to me that it's intrinsic in him, another ban wont solve it, help will.

I agree, a ban won't solve it, he needs help. However, he shouldn't be let back on to the football pitch until he has had that help and it is clear that a repeat offence is unlikely. Solution: An indefinite ban until he is medically certified as fit to return.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I don't know what all the craze is about.

It's an off the ball incident. In such situations most players kick or stamp. Others elbow or punch. Others again head-butt. Suarez has a thing about biting. Curious. But so what?

It's nothing special. Its not even worse. Its violent off the ball conduct and should be adequately dealt with. If FIFA have nothing in place he's a very lucky man.
    But overall no reason to go nuts.

However, I'd say his agent had a heart attack watching. :D
    I am pie wrote: »
    Which is worse?

1. A bite
    2. Stamping on someone knee in an attempt to "do" them?

He should receive the standard 3 (max 5, if you want to make an example) game suspension for violent play, red card. It's an incident on par with Zidane's infamous headbutt.

Anything else is just hyperbole or lack objectivity.
    All geniuses have a mad streak.
    No one was injured or hurt. Bigger things to worry about.

These posters completely miss the point and should do some hard thinking. This is not a one-off. This is not something that happens as a result of a bad tackle or being over-committed to the game. Zidane's headbutt for example was uncharacteristic of the man. A stray elbow, a late tackle, these are unpalatable and unacceptable extensions of normal play. In no way can biting be seen as an extension of normal play. The TV coverage from behind shows the clear intention behind the bite. The reaction as if he had been elbowed and the statements after the game show a man who sadly has serious mental issues.

Liverpool are his employers. They have a duty to protect him and to ensure his health and safety and the health and safety of others that work with him. As responsible employers, they cannot let him out on a pitch until they are sure that the biting has been dealt with through counselling or other necessary medical treatment.

Edit: Didn't see GavRedKing's post about the other thread, apologies for posting here.

Godge wrote: »
    Zidane's headbutt for example was uncharacteristic of the man. A stray elbow, a late tackle, these are unpalatable and unacceptable extensions of normal play

Pretty sure Zidane was sent off a couple of times for 'stamp like' offences, once in WC '98 and I think once for Juve in a CL game. The second one was particularly bad!

Anyway off to the other thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

Imagine if someone else was doing this in any other job. "Gary in accountants keeps biting people. Yeah, but he is a really good accountant." :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement