Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to ditch Windows XP?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

My sister has a netbook (Samsung NC10) running XP and is worried about the dropping of support for it. I was going to install Lubuntu instead but she really wants iTunes, and wouldn't be tech-minded at all so an iTunes alternative would probably not work well for her. What are my options? She only really uses it for transferring music to iPod and browsing the web. Is she safe if I install anti-virus and she makes sure to never install anything?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 craigfoster

If she only uses it for itunes and searching the web i would recommend picking up a mac even a second hand one would do the job. Mad by apple so itunes will work fine on it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,316 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I still use XP on my desktop and I will be for the foreseeable future.

I use a free version of Avast as my anti-virus and have never had a virus on the machine...ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Buy windows 7 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I am still using XP on my multimedia PC, with the following:

1) I use a limited user account rather than an administrator one
    2) Keep antivirus up to date and install and run Malwarebytes every so often
    3) Do not use Internet Explorer. Go into Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components and uninstall it (and Outlook Express)
    4) Install a third party firewall (I use Comodo).

If you do the above, you should be relatively secure. I still wouldnt be doing internet banking on it, but for general browsing and iTunes, it should be fine for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If she is using it on the web then I certainly wouldn't recommend keeping XP. Upgrading to 7 or 8.1 is the only solution in this case. Many will say XP is ok, but for a non savvy user advising to keep XP for internet browsing is fairly dangerous advice. Anti virus programmes provide little to no protection against zero day attacks.. It's also quite possible that Apple will stop updating iTunes for XP soon, which could cause problems.
    Mod note: Suggesting to get a Mac is not a solution in this instance. Please review the forum charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

It's really a personal preference I think.

What yoyo said!

Here's a good resource of articles/more info (reddit).

yoyo wrote: »
    If she is using it on the web then I certainly wouldn't recommend keeping XP. Upgrading to 7 or 8.1 is the only solution in this case. Many will say XP is ok, but for a non savvy user advising to keep XP for internet browsing is fairly dangerous advice. Anti virus programmes provide little to no protection against zero day attacks.. It's also quite possible that Apple will stop updating iTunes for XP soon, which could cause problems.
    Mod note: Suggesting to get a Mac is not a solution in this instance. Please review the forum charter.

The OP did say that the person in question wanted something for iTunes so surely a Mac would be good advice? Agreed that XP for a non tech-savvy user would not be the best of ideas. Sorry if my post came across in that way, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Thanks for the input folks. I should have stated at the outset that buying a new machine is not an option. She wants to keep this, bar xp it's perfect for her needs. She does do internet banking. If I upgrade it to Windows 7 or 8, would the machine struggle to handle either?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,045 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tony EH wrote: »
    I still use XP on my desktop and I will be for the foreseeable future.

I use a free version of Avast as my anti-virus and have never had a virus on the machine...ever.
    It's not really about virus's it's security vulnerability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

robocode wrote: »
    Thanks for the input folks. I should have stated at the outset that buying a new machine is not an option. She wants to keep this, bar xp it's perfect for her needs. She does do internet banking. If I upgrade it to Windows 7 or 8, would the machine struggle to handle either?

Microsoft offer a Windows upgrade checker.

Click here for Windows 7.

And here for the Windows 8 upgrade assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The OP did say that the person in question wanted something for iTunes so surely a Mac would be good advice? Agreed that XP for a non tech-savvy user would not be the best of ideas. Sorry if my post came across in that way, OP.

A Mac would work but it is not the cheapest solution by a long shot. iTunes works on Windows so upgrading the current laptop is an option. It would be like suggesting to a Mac user to buy a PC to run Windows software, where Macs can run Windows via bootcamp in parallel for e.g :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

robocode wrote: »

It would run W7 starter edition easily enough.

As someone said above, run the Windows Upgrade Assistant. It'll tell you quickly enough.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

Advertisement