Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to the US for a few days. FX Question

Options
  • 24-06-2014 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22

I'm travelling to Atlanta this weekend for work. It's been a long time since I've been to the states so I'm wondering what the best way to manage my money is.

Should I just do visa debit POS? Should I convert a couple of hundred before going? I really don't want to get nailed to the wall with FX and commission fees so I'm hoping that some seasoned traveller can give me good advice on how to minimise this (without going hungry obviously :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

for such a short visit, I would bring some cash (Post Office offer commission free rates) and use your Visa Debit for other incidentals - check with your bank as to what their foreign fees transactions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I would go with credit card, cash and visa debit in reserve.

The credit card is needed for car/hotel deposits. Cash, you can use to get ANYTHING in the US (And you'll need it for getting gas, as non US credit/debit cards don't work at gas pumps). The visa debit is handy enough - the only time I used it when traveling to the US for work was when I was with work people and they pulled out their cards to split the bills in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Cash, you can use to get ANYTHING in the US (And you'll need it for getting gas, as non US credit/debit cards don't work at gas pumps).

:eek: I never knew this. I never even thought of it. That's good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

lil_lisa wrote: »
    :eek: I never knew this. I never even thought of it. That's good to know.

yep, my parents tried to put in my zip code with their card...didn't work - you can obviously pay for the fuel with your card in the shop, but you need to pay up front so it's just as easy to plonk down the cash

Advertisement