Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery water damage

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. So I recently noticed that the wooden floor in my kitchen is starting to warp a bit. I also noticed some damp stains on the timber around the edges near the dishwasher. This turned into an ominous squelching floorboard syndrome over the weekend.

So I pulled out the dishwasher and there was some moisture under it. I ran it full whack but there was absolutely no sign of any leakage. I then checked the sink which was fine and the washing machine which was also fine.

I am extremely puzzled. There is water coming form somewhere but I can't see where. We are in a top floor apartment with concrete floors. There is no chance of the water coming from above and all the inside piping which I can see looks good. There just seems to be this mystery water patch localised around the non leaking dishwasher. Has anyone experience of this type of thing before? Myself and the landlord are at a complete loss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Did you run the dishwasher & washing machine through a full cycle including pumping the waste water out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Yup, both on the most intense cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I still suspect the dishwasher as the most likely candidate if it's directly above the water patch. It could be that when you moved it, you dislodged something that was causing the blockage in the waste pipe. Is the floor still wet or is it showing signs of drying out at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Its starting to dry out, gonna get a dehumidifier tomorrow. There is not much water there and as the floor is wooden there's nothing for the moisture to soak into really. I really hope its sorted. I may use the dishwasher sparingly to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

If there's a slight fall on the floor the water could be rolling in under the floorboards from somewhere else.

Get the LL to call a plumber to find the source. Alternatively, don't use the dishwasher or washing machine (at all) until it dries out.Then start using one again for a week. If it gets wet, you know the culprit. If it doesn't dry out your problem is elsewhere. Which a plumber can tell you all about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement