Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Cycle question

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

As there is a large group here who have completed/competed in 1 or multiple ironman races I would like your opinion on optimal cadence for the little cycle section, I am hoping to be on the start line for my 1st attempt at the distance in 8.5 weeks:eek:, I have a number of friends who are A1/A2 level cyclists and they tell me I should always keep my cadence at 95+ which up until now I have, but none of these lads have done a triathlon never mind an ironman, my question is: should I stick with the 95+ or start working on lower cadence? what do you think is the best cadence to help the long waddle after the bike?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Pmaldini wrote: »
    As there is a large group here who have completed/competed in 1 or multiple ironman races I would like your opinion on optimal cadence for the little cycle section, I am hoping to be on the start line for my 1st attempt at the distance in 8.5 weeks:eek:, I have a number of friends who are A1/A2 level cyclists and they tell me I should always keep my cadence at 95+ which up until now I have, but none of these lads have done a triathlon never mind an ironman, my question is: should I stick with the 95+ or start working on lower cadence? what do you think is the best cadence to help the long waddle after the bike?

Everyone has a cadence they are comfortable with. I have read and hear suggestion that a higher cadence can tend to leave the legs fresher for the IM marathon. If your cadence is 90/95 on long spins currently then i would not be looking to change that.
    For me i am a high 70s/low 80s kind of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

at this stage you are just going to spin at whatever you can.

If you asked this question this time last year would have a very different answer. (and also disagree entirely with Frodo)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

tunney wrote: »
    at this stage you are just going to spin at whatever you can.

If you asked this question this time last year would have a very different answer. (and also disagree entirely with Frodo)

typical, ive been thinking about this for a long time and listened to the cyclists instead of asking your good self, so 8ish weeks isn't enough to change what I'm doing? I have a lot of long bikes left before the big day, in your opinion what cadence should be used for the bike?

typical, ive been thinking about this for a long time and listened to the cyclists instead of asking your good self, so 8ish weeks isn't enough to change what I'm doing?
    No.
    I have a lot of long bikes left before the big day, in your opinion what cadence should be used for the bike?

Depends on the training. Optimal IM power generation is a lower cadence, but you need to have trained at that.

I'd not contemplate anything other than what you have been doing for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    (and also disagree entirely with Frodo)

I did not say it was my view!!

• Advertisement

I did not say it was my view!!

The world looks different at that height

Advertisement