Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which city/town is nearest to Kilkenny city?

Options
  • 24-06-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will be working in Kilkenny city from next month, i have been looking for apartments in the Kilkenny city but couldnt get any good one with reasonable price. So i am wondering is there any town/village nearest to Kilkenny city?
    Any comments/suggestions is highly welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Paulstown and Knocktopher are 5 mins away via the motorway. Bennetsbridge, Thomastown, Freshford, Castlecomer, Callan and Ballyraggett would be around 10-15 mins by car. The nearest big towns would be Waterford 40 mins and Carlow 35 mins by car.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, do you want/need any specific facilities in the town/village your thinking about living in?
    Supermarkets, schools, pubs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Paulstown and Knocktopher are 5 mins away via the motorway. Bennetsbridge, Thomastown, Freshford, Castlecomer, Callan and Ballyraggett would be around 10-15 mins by car. The nearest big towns would be Waterford 40 mins and Carlow 35 mins by car.

I can do this in 20-25 mins :D:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

road_high wrote: »
    I can do this in 20-25 mins :D:o

It can actually via the motorway....at legal speeds ;)
    Happened to time it yesterday from Carlow IT to the Ringroad and it was 26min

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Cabaal wrote: »

Muine Beag / Bagenalstown is even closer, just a few minutes from Paulstown.

• Advertisement

The slowest part is getting to/from the junctions either end. Once on the M9 it's literally no distance.

Hi,

I will be working in Kilkenny city from next month, i have been looking for apartments in the Kilkenny city but couldnt get any good one with reasonable price. So i am wondering is there any town/village nearest to Kilkenny city?
    Any comments/suggestions is highly welcome.
    Thanks

Not surprised. KK is a disaster at the mo in terms of price, availability and choice. If you're prepared to live in some of the less desirable towns/villages then you can get some value. Bear in mind the extra costs in terms of fuel for commuting/taxi's on a night-out etc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭masterboy123

We are living in Waterford City at the moment.

I will be working in St Luke Hospital. So something not very far away from the hospital would suit me. I do have car to commute but my wife need to find a job plus she doesn't have a car of her own. Would it be possible to get her some job outside of Kilkenny? She has experience of working in hotels/cafés.

Thanks everyone. You guys are very helpful.
    OP, do you want/need any specific facilities in the town/village your thinking about living in?
    Supermarkets, schools, pubs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Knocktopher is 15 minutes. Definitely not 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

oak5548 wrote: »
    Knocktopher is 15 minutes. Definitely not 5.

I'd also say comer was a good 20 odd minutes to the hospital.

• Advertisement

Well, daft .ie is not showing much property for Kilkenny county, with 500 euros range. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

if the missus does not have a car and is going to be working in a bar/restaurant then you should be looking to live in side the ring road or just outside it.
    Freshford is nearest the hospital as far as I am aware.
    Paulstown is a nice spin and hospital is the other side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Of course most of those times only hold true if driving a rocket.

Here are a few places reasonably priced and well located.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/ardilea-lovers-lane-castlecomer-road-kilkenny-kilkenny/1459191/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/freshford-road-kilkenny-kilkenny/1458667/

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/7-ashurst-ashurst-house-college-road-kilkenny-kilkenny/1450894/

thanks adrian,
    i just saw the same apartments now. The one at Freshford is reasonably priced, i am going to contact the advertiser tomorrow.

How is the public transport within Kilkenny city? Is there any local bus service available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

thanks adrian,
    i just saw the same apartments now. The one at Freshford is reasonably priced, i am going to contact the advertiser tomorrow.

How is the public transport within Kilkenny city? Is there any local bus service available?

There is none only a little bus that goes by the hospital I don't even know where it goes beyond that. KK is small so you could walk everywhere so I guess the need for a bus service doesn't seem a priority for Bus Eireann or any others.

obezyana wrote: »
    There is none only a little bus that goes by the hospital I don't even know where it goes beyond that. KK is small so you could walk everywhere so I guess the need for a bus service doesn't seem a priority for Bus Eireann or any others.

KK has no big working class or student population. Everyone either drives or cycles, no market for much of a bus service. All Bus Eireann services are either loss making or heavily subsided by the state.

road_high wrote: »
    KK has no big working class or student population. Everyone either drives or cycles, no market for much of a bus service. All Bus Eireann services are either loss making or heavily subsided by the state.

I know I live here :p

Hows the job market at the moment in Kilkenny? for like working in hotel or cafe? are there many hotels and cafes in the city? I will visit myself tomorrow.
    Any recommendation for attractions in Kilkenny? beside the Kilkenny castle?
    Thanks everyone for endless helpful information :)
    Cheers

Hows the job market at the moment in Kilkenny? for like working in hotel or cafe? are there many hotels and cafes in the city? I will visit myself tomorrow.
    Any recommendation for attractions in Kilkenny? beside the Kilkenny castle?
    Thanks everyone for endless helpful information :)
    Cheers

Check out kilkenny jobs.ie

As for things to do there is a list at the top of the KK forum (I think it's still there)

If you like forest walks then there is a nice few places in KK. I will say there isn't as much to do as there is in WF but It is a lovely place to live I'm here a few years I came up from WF and i don't think I'd move back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Don't be silly with that on the Freshford Rd. Been there, done that. The place is awful cold during the winter, not much better during the summer. I was extremely happy to get out of there. Didn't get on well with the owner either despite trying my best.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comment on Freshford road apartment. I won't take this place then.

Visited your beautiful city today but it started raining so couldn't see much except the hospital and work place, which are quite good :)
    padyjoe wrote: »
    Don't be silly with that on the Freshford Rd. Been there, done that. The place is awful cold during the winter, not much better during the summer. I was extremely happy to get out of there. Didn't get on well with the owner either despite trying my best.

Is it this apartment you're talking about?

http://www.daft.ie/21458667

How much were the bills like?

Can't get any apartment for 500 euros in Kilkenny :(
    padyjoe wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Yes, it's the one. We're all different, if you want to have a look, it's up to you, no one stops you. As of electrity: everything runs off it, from a to z, can't remember the numbers, you can do your math and it's the only energy source.

How is Ashrust house on College street? Is city center at walking distance from it?

Yeah it's a 5 min walk from the centre of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

If you get a place in Thomastown you have the option of getting the train in, also has most ameneties in walking distance (library, station, shops etc) while still being able to have a house in the countryside.

It's getting really hard to find a reasonable priced property in Kilkenny city :(

Is Michael Street, Kilkenny safe area to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

It's getting really hard to find a reasonable priced property in Kilkenny city :(

Is Michael Street, Kilkenny safe area to live in?

nice area to live in. Lots of older people living on that road. Very quiet too i would imagine although not so sure about that when they start build the new bridge.

this apartment is gone now too :eek::(
    basically no property available to rent from this week
    Bowlardo wrote: »
    nice area to live in. Lots of older people living on that road. Very quiet too i would imagine although not so sure about that when they start build the new bridge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement