Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd hand Xbox 360

Options
  • 24-06-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2nd hand Xbox 360 as a gift for my son. I don't know a huge amount about these consoles but heard that its possible that a particular console could be banned from playing online due to breaking terms and conditions or some such. I'm just wondering if someone can confirm this as true and is there anything else i should watch out for.Also what could I expect to pay for second hand console with reasonable hard drive and perhaps some accessories and games (suitable for 10 yr old). Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I'd say buy it from a 'bricks and mortar' to be sure. Cex or Gamestop would be ok.

Here's a ballpark.

See here for more tips on getting started with a 360.

Always, just to note that it's an extra ~50e to get an Xbox Live Gold subscription (for a year) to play online. But I wouldn't recommend getting that for a 10 year old. Depending on the game! (Minecraft)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

But I wouldn't recommend getting that for a 10 year old.

If Minecraft is in the vocabulary of said ten year old, a Gold sub will be essential

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

you can get a year long gold subscription for €30 or so. Might be an idea as you would get 2 free games a month to download, you could have your son use a different account if you didn't want him playing online and he would still be able to play the games if you download them to the machine through the gold account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Myrddin wrote: »
    If Minecraft is in the vocabulary of said ten year old, a Gold sub will be essential

Ooh yeah, good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Thanks, and ye would be right about minecraft. Could anyone recommend what (if any) accessories would usually be needed other than what comes with the basic console. thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubaicentral

Hi, I am looking to buy a 2nd hand Xbox 360 as a gift for my son. I don't know a huge amount about these consoles but heard that its possible that a particular console could be banned from playing online due to breaking terms and conditions or some such. I'm just wondering if someone can confirm this as true and is there anything else i should watch out for.Also what could I expect to pay for second hand console with reasonable hard drive and perhaps some accessories and games (suitable for 10 yr old). Thanks

Just in relation to the banned consoles. While you would be rather unlucky to end up with a banned console from the second hand market it does happen. Before buying a second hand console ask the seller for the serial number of the console and do a quick search under console check on enforcement.xbox.com and it will tell you if the console is banned or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ned_strange

Thanks for help folks. Got 250G x box with wifi , boxed and in perfect condition for €155, extra wireless controller was another €30. got it from Cex in Galway and they give a years guarantee. Not sure if it was great deal but some comfort with the guarantee and that they have a shop in town. Now just waiting for minecraft to arrive from ebay!

Advertisement