Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Frankfurt 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Oryx wrote: »
    Finally! Good performance from jb! Yaaaaay!

He left nothing out there. Can't ask for anything more.
    30c right now too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tango did a fine 11:06

Looks like it was fricken hot out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Tunney's times on the run look like he is suffering. Fingers crossed he is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Abhainn wrote: »
    30c right now too.

Looking at Tango's run time I thought it might be hot out there but 30c, that's unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Some swim issues again, a sufferfest all day. Thought I could try push a 3:20 marathon which i was on pace for to half way. Walk/waddle finish, blew up with some puking along the way.
    It got done, heat was unreal on the run.

Dave is a stubborn ****er, he will finish!

• Advertisement

Tunney over the line now aswell. Well done guys!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tunney over the line now aswell. Well done guys!

His splits are gone. How did he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

His splits are gone. How did he do?

Just under 14hrs I think.

Around 1.20/5.50/6.15 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Good work guys, heard it was extremely warm out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

First ironman. Did it in 10:57 (that includes my 6mins in the penalty box, fair cop though). It was an unreal feeling with all the crowds and the atmosphere. The heat was very tough. Feeling a little rough after the recuperation last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Rawhead wrote: »
    First ironman. Did it in 10:57 (that includes my 6mins in the penalty box, fair cop though). It was an unreal feeling with all the crowds and the atmosphere. The heat was very tough. Feeling a little rough after the recuperation last night.

Fair play man. Great result. And your the first person on boards who has admitted to drafting . 5 mins ouch !

Fair play man. Great result. And your the first person on boards who has admitted to drafting . 5 mins ouch !

A guy came past me and I stayed on his wheel for a few hundred meters, got carded. I done the crime so I did the time. I suppose what annoys me slightly is that groups of 5/6 clearly working together flew past all day, my mistake was being alone. Safety in numbers if your messing about I suppose. It nearly cost me a sub 11hr though, I cursed myself the last few kms of the run as I looked at the watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Anybody caught drafting in Germany is a cheater full stop. That's all I have to say.

Anybody caught drafting in Germany is a cheater full stop. That's all I have to say.

This is going to be fun. I'll be a target now for every whining, high horse riding clown on this forum cause I committed the horrendous, unforgivable crime of ADMITTING drafting. The thoughts that some fool on an Internet forum is unhappy with me will forever tarnish my achievement and the shame will whispered about in the family for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

This is going to be fun. I'll be a target now for every whining, high horse riding clown on this forum cause I committed the horrendous, unforgivable crime of ADMITTING drafting. The thoughts that some fool on an Internet forum is unhappy with me will forever tarnish my achievement and the shame will whispered about in the family for generations.

Lol nice comeback. Have done Frankfurt twice. Both times there were packs blowing by me on the bike A lot of these guys normally overcook the bike and blow on run. However there was an irish guy in one of these packs a couple of years back and he had a 25 min lead on me starting the marathon. I could not catch him even though i brought it back. Pelotons are a bigger problem than drafting imo. Have had enough of the whole drafting/peloton conversations this year. Will leave it till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Exclusive footage emerging of JB and Tunney headed to the swim start in Frankfurt at the weekend. The connecting cord may explain the relatively close swim times.

:eek::D:pac:

lA6smWI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Regardless of the gimp suit I may or may not have worn one thing was reinforced.

IM Dublin will not happen. The level of volunteers required, the level of co-operation from the city and surrounds will not be given.

We cannot get a few concerts in a stadium. Aspects of the city will not shut down for 3 or so days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Finally! Good performance from jb! Yaaaaay!

An hour slower than my pb is not a good performance but i know what you mean:)
    Whats happening to jb's run?

Hot and blew up
    Abhainn wrote: »
    30c right now too.
    Tank was fairly empty, normally when you get to 35k you know you will make it, i was not sure up until 40/41k of the run. Avg temps on bike was 29 and run was 33 with it topping out at 38.
    Fair play for admitting to drafting, everyone appeared to be at it. I was constantly having to back off as large groups passed or surge past slower ones. The road was very crowded around most of it.
    Bit harsh, see point made above. The penalty tents seemed pretty full, i dont think a 6min penalty will deter people. They had plenty of marshalls out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

tunney wrote: »
    IM Dublin will not happen. The level of volunteers required, the level of co-operation from the city and surrounds will not be given.

Bit harsh in that no, Dublin won't reach the level Frankfurt or other established races are at. No race could in its first outing. I too have my doubts (esp around bike logistics) but really hope to be proved wrong.
    We cannot get a few concerts in a stadium.
    Don't get me started on that one :-) The real greed culprits who s**t all over the residents regularly aren't even being mentioned in that debacle. The custodians of Croke Park who surely gave the go-ahead without consulting anyone and who really, truly should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

speedyj wrote: »
    Bit harsh in that no, Dublin won't reach the level Frankfurt or other established races are at. No race could in its first outing. I too have my doubts (esp around bike logistics) but really hope to be proved wrong.

Its first outing will be its best. If it happens.

• Advertisement

Its first outing will be its bestthe only one. If it happens.

FYP

Unless its GAA* people in this country dont care and certainly don't want it interferring with their daily lives. Closing the N11 or the rock road in Dublin for a day? Might get away with it once. Won't happen a second time. Yummy mummy with her stupid double barrelled name and pointlessly big car needs to get her nails done.

*- and this shower have recently shown how much regard they have for the local community, money hungry cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

BTH wrote: »
    FYP

Unless its GAA* people in this country dont care and certainly don't want it interferring with their daily lives. Closing the N11 or the rock road in Dublin for a day? Might get away with it once. Won't happen a second time. Yummy mummy with her stupid double barrelled name and pointlessly big car needs to get her nails done.

*- and this shower have recently shown how much regard they have for the local community, money hungry cnuts.

I don't get this. Moaning about imagined stereotypes who might be put out ahead of any route.

The Dublin marathon happens every year with zero complaints. The city centre is regularly closed for all manner of events.

The roads were closed for the Giro with zero complaints. Roads were closed for the mini marathon with zero complaints.

Give some people credit. Vast majority of people are happy to support events.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    The Dublin marathon happens every year with zero complaints. The city centre is regularly closed for all manner of events.

The roads were closed for the Giro with zero complaints. Roads were closed for the mini marathon with zero complaints.

Volunteer a couple of times. You'll hear plenty of complaints.

I don't get this. Moaning about imagined stereotypes who might be put out ahead of any route.

Nope. People will still complain. Ever been nearly mowed down by a car in a race in Ireland because they didn't want to wait for a break in runners? Has happened to me numerous times and have had arguments with motorists on bike sections of triathlons I've been marshalling. Irish people cannot get out and support things like this.

Volunteer a couple of times. You'll hear plenty of complaints.

Point taken.

I was talking about serious complaints ahead of an event rather than some muppet moaning about not getting through on the day, which is unavoidable.

Nope. People will still complain. Ever been nearly mowed down by a car in a race in Ireland because they didn't want to wait for a break in runners? Has happened to me numerous times and have had arguments with motorists on bike sections of triathlons I've been marshalling. Irish people cannot get out and support things like this.

Some Irish people. But point taken.

I was talking of complaints ahead of events which are likely to get the event cancelled rather than dickheads. That sort of stuff does seem to be unavoidable.

Zero Complaints? Thats a good one

Ever been supporting on the route for the Dublin Marathon? Seen the abuse marshals get from irate motorists? Weekend roads quieter in October and roads re-open much earlier than they will for an IM.

Giro, rolling road closures for the most part. And no doubt selected the Clontarf coast road to minimise crossing traffic. Only the last couple of KM would have been closed for any length of time.

Both require much less road closures and for much less time than an IM does. With an August race date, prime tourism traffic, its not going to go down well. There are a very limited number of bike route options and all are going to cause massive inconvenience.

And to be honest, I just wanted to have a dig at the GAA.

Bring back our Country Music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I suggest we bring in more Germans into Ireland and replace them Irish nay sayers ;-)

but i guess what people fail to realize it happens in Germany just as much that people complain.... berlin 70.3 anyone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How the hell does an IM Frankfurt thread get dragged off topic into a Garth Brooks related thingy? Call in the mods!

Advertisement