Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Frankfurt 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

AKW wrote: »
    How the hell does an IM Frankfurt thread get dragged off topic into a Garth Brooks related thingy?

Because its a bleedn' travesty Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

How the hell does an IM Frankfurt thread get dragged off topic into a Garth Brooks related thingy? Call in the mods!

The Garth Brooks thing has made Ireland the laughing stock of the rest of the world. With all this publicity they now know that 400,000 sister marrying sheep shagging stetson wearing Irish gombeens bought tickets to see this sh1te. Oh the shame this has brought onto our nation.

Speaking of closed roads for triathlon, anyone remember Eireman 2009 when a big chunk of the N11 was closed for a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

griffin100 wrote: »
    The Garth Brooks thing has made Ireland the laughing stock of the rest of the world. With all this publicity they now know that 400,000 sister marrying sheep shagging stetson wearing Irish gombeens bought tickets to see this sh1te. Oh the shame this has brought onto our nation.

Speaking of closed roads for triathlon, anyone remember Eireman 2009 when a big chunk of the N11 was closed for a day?

Yes, near Wexford though. And huge promises of money being spent in the area were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭delboyfagan

Nope. People will still complain. Ever been nearly mowed down by a car in a race in Ireland because they didn't want to wait for a break in runners? Has happened to me numerous times and have had arguments with motorists on bike sections of triathlons I've been marshalling. Irish people cannot get out and support things like this.

Racoon u are right, people can get annoyed but a lot of the time marshals are misinformed of what rights they have and what they are allowed do when marshaling bike races on non closed roads.

I saw this first hand when our cycling club has basically had to cancel its league races for the last two years as a result of a dispute between a marshal and a motorist which escalated to ridiculous.

We even had a get together with the local gardai which was very informative and the end result of this is that marshals are not allowed to stop traffic on races with no closed roads. They cannot stand out with a flag stopping cars just because they are wearing a yellow jersey.

Nevertheless I agree with your point - people are just always in a hurry and can be quite rude. Surely stopping for a few minutes won't hurt them. But people eeh....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Where's the O/T thread gone to?
    ray o wrote: »
    Because its a bleedn' travesty Joe!

• Advertisement

Where's the O/T thread gone to?

You mean for things like tweeting about garth brooks and having links to orca tri suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    You mean for things like tweeting about garth brooks and having links to orca tri suits?

Exactly :D

Sure you have to #newshack every now and then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Racoon u are right, people can get annoyed but a lot of the time marshals are misinformed of what rights they have and what they are allowed do when marshaling bike races on non closed roads.

I saw this first hand when our cycling club has basically had to cancel its league races for the last two years as a result of a dispute between a marshal and a motorist which escalated to ridiculous.

We even had a get together with the local gardai which was very informative and the end result of this is that marshals are not allowed to stop traffic on races with no closed roads. They cannot stand out with a flag stopping cars just because they are wearing a yellow jersey.

Nevertheless I agree with your point - people are just always in a hurry and can be quite rude. Surely stopping for a few minutes won't hurt them. But people eeh....

In both cases where I was marshalling we had guards right beside us and both roads were fully closed.

But yeah, I get your point but Terenure 5 mile recently a car decided to pull out metres in front of me at a point where a guard was because he didn't want to wait. Irish people don't care...it could very well be the same everywhere but all my experience is with Irish people so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Rawhead wrote: »
    This is going to be fun. I'll be a target now for every whining, high horse riding clown on this forum cause I committed the horrendous, unforgivable crime of ADMITTING drafting. The thoughts that some fool on an Internet forum is unhappy with me will forever tarnish my achievement and the shame will whispered about in the family for generations.

Back from Frankfurt myself. As a decent swimmer and out in the first wave I seen lots of drafting. I was out in 55 mins so was being extra careful not to draft - although most I couldn't have stuck with even if I wanted to.

In relation to the two posts above - I would say that drafting used to really annoy me - more in Ireland when I was at the top end of the field and 10 people go by and then you drop from top 20 to top 30.

In the IM I am firmly in the middle of the crowd. The guys cheating make no difference to me at all as I am not going for Podiums or Kona. if I was I would be p1ssed.

Basically - no one cares what time you (or me) do in IM - most are just impressed you did one (if they even care at all). I just don't see the point in spending all the money and training and then just deciding to cheat through it. But each to their own - why bother entering a competition if you are just going to decide the rules don't apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Basically - no one cares what time you (or me) do in IM - most are just impressed you did one (if they even care at all).
    I did my first IM this month and was delighted with my time. Kinda got the feeling tho half the people who asked "How long did it take you" would have been more impressed if I'd said 16 hours than 11 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Hey All, sorry to drag up an old post but hoping to do IM Frankfurt next year.

Has anyone any good hotels, travel tips etc, appreciate it

jester1980 wrote: »

Fairly simple. Lots of hotels. (Financial district so loads and not used at weekends). Fly to frankfurt.

I'd fly lufthansa. Huge bike allowance, no hold luggage fees and same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

thanks for that Tunney,,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Looks like it's going to be a hot one for Frankfurt again this year! 33 over there at the mo.

edit: Non-wetsuit swim!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Ibis is a good location. Right on river and run course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

edit: Non-wetsuit swim!

Best of luck to them, what great fortune!

I've been watching water temps in Europe for the past few weeks- lake Geneva is currently 24˚, as is Zurich. Forecast is for an extended heatwave.

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Currently 37 Celsius in Frankfurt.

Going to be a long hard day for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

A friend of mine was withing TOP 10 after 14 km run but then couldn't continue, tried with water at the station and said he drank more than enough but still it seemed he pushed to hard and outside at the time was 41ish degrees... Seems like a crazy race, European Kona :P

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Course_records_fall_in_Frankfurt_5182.html

Two course records.....

Less of the excuses please :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Watched most of the bike and run yesterday. epic racing. frodeno must be favourite for Kona now.

the Ryf/rinny battle might just be the highlight of the race (kona).

assuming of course they all get there fit.

How many of those bikes will Canyon sell now? Not a good advertisement for the hydration pack though

and the IM website commentators. surprised at some of the comments

Michelle Vesterby was putting on her calf guards before she "went out on a fashion show" (the run)
    the female pro's who had kids had an advantage as they were able to did a little deeper after childbirth

even if he was right, they were prety cringeworthy comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    A friend of mine was withing TOP 10 after 14 km run but then couldn't continue, tried with water at the station and said he drank more than enough but still it seemed he pushed to hard and outside at the time was 41ish degrees... Seems like a crazy race, European Kona :P

tell him to do galway he wont have that problem ;-0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

jester1980 wrote: »

The Ibis near the central train station is ideal. You can get the train from the airport and walk to the hotel. It's right around the corner from the Intercontinental which is the official partner hotel so all the buses pick up and drop off there.
    It was my first (and probably only) ironman and it was really stress free traveling. However, having talked to other competitors after the race, Austria gets a better report for atmosphere. I was buzzing after the race and was chomping to head out for a few pints thinking there would be a huge atmosphere around, it was ****e though. A few Polish lads and myself ended up having a few pints in a pub near the old square and it was like nothing had happened. They said Klagenfurt was a brilliant after party.
    It's only a small thing and you have to weigh up the added effort in getting to Austria. Best of luck and enjoy yourself, I still get tingles thinking about crossing the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Course_records_fall_in_Frankfurt_5182.html

Two course records.....

Less of the excuses please :)

Is it a full 3.8k swim? Mind boggling if it is, sub 73s/100m pace without a wetsuit. And to follow that up with a 4:08 bike... to say nothing of a 2:50 run in that heat...

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Is it a full 3.8k swim? Mind boggling if it is, sub 73s/100m pace without a wetsuit. And to follow that up with a 4:08 bike... to say nothing of a 2:50 run in that heat...

olympic gold in tri. Eventually someone was going to make the switch and succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

apologies for being too lazy to search for the answer........

DO Frankfurt do a second batch of slots in December ? if so... how many and has anyone waited for this and not got in ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

miller82 wrote: »
    apologies for being too lazy to search for the answer........

DO Frankfurt do a second batch of slots in December ? if so... how many and has anyone waited for this and not got in ???

I don't believe any of the IM events re-opened for the 2015 races. Once they sold out that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

olympic gold in tri. Eventually someone was going to make the switch and succeed.

He's a class act. Great to watch too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

pgibbo wrote: »
    I don't believe any of the IM events re-opened for the 2015 races. Once they sold out that was it.

booooo..... but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Very sad and very worrying. Drank loads and loads of water but didn't watch his salt intake via his drinks....not being smart but I doubt he was the only one. The other article posted as a comment from the 29-time IM athlete was equally worrying, from the other perspective - drinking too much.

Advertisement