Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Folders Generated on External Hard Drive

Options
  • 24-06-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi there-

Would anybody be able to explain why/how random folders have appeared on my NTFS formatted external hard drive. It's not the biggest problem in the world but I'd like to get rid of them as it would make auto-mated back up a lot easier using apps like Karen's Replicator etc... Only problem is it tells me it needs administrator permission to delete them....which I have on the computer...but it still wont let me delete these folders on the hard drive.

I've googled but all I've got is impenetrable windows waffle.

Best Regards,
    Oldbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭oldbie

P.s the folders have mad names like "bt3243rh8uarrbret304hthterw0erhrt" etc....

Ok I managed to strike google oil.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/sudden-appearance-of-long-numeric-folder-names-on/130a9f62-5e3b-42b4-b9b9-9582847c2f9f

Sudden appearance of long alphanumeric folder names on external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Yeah as that link says, they're just temporary installation folders for applications.

If you're trying to work out what was created by what just look at the Date Modified / Date Created part on the drive. Then go into Programs And Features in Control Panel and sort by Installed On. Sure enough one of the applications Installed Date will match a folders Date Modified / Date Created Date.

If it doesn't then it could have been created by an application updating itself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Microsoft Security Essentials does this if you use it. I was wondering where they came from and pin pointed it to definition updates. Nothing to be alarmed about :)

Nick

Hmmm...this is probably a stupid question but is secure boot the same as safe mode? I'm using windows enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

oldbie wrote: »
    Hmmm...this is probably a stupid question but is secure boot the same as safe mode? I'm using windows enterprise.

Nope, secure boot is a security option designed to make the system more secure, not allowing unsigned drivers and operating systems to boot from the bios I think is the gist of it. Probably more applicable to the enterprise market, I have it disabled in my bios as it can have implications using open source operating systems etc.
    Safe mode is used if you are having a problem with your OS, it loads the minimum required drivers and settings to help diagnose the OS

Nick

Advertisement