Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Either a teeny console or a GIANT lighter!
    A lovely shade of white too, rather than the typical urine yellow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,223 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I see yours came with the Bic lighter expansion. :pac:

Yeah they're unbelievably small. If you ever have to live in a tiny shoebox, you at least know you'll always have space for a PCE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I must get one, to replace my pug ugly TG-16.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unfortunately you kind of need both or a converter. Tg 16 and pc engine cards have the pins moved around for region locking :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Either a teeny console or a GIANT lighter!
    A lovely shade of white too, rather than the typical urine yellow

Lighter for scale :D I knew they were small, I just hadn't realised they were that small :eek: Yeah I wanted one that wasn't yellowed (this one does need a decent wash, but there's little or no yellowing which I'm happy about!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Unfortunately you kind of need both or a converter. Tg 16 and pc engine cards have the pins moved around for region locking :(

Honestly, it's not a console I'm going to really collect for. I might get ten or so of the top recommended (affordable) hu-cards, & just Everdrive it from there :) I assume with an Everdrive, region locking isn't a concern??

Next thing I buy for it will be an RGB kit though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh man. I've been resisting the urge to get a PC Engine back for years , but now I can feel my resolve getting weaker.
    any tips ? should I get one from the US or import from japan ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,797 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Japanese core model is just so much sexier. However a lot of the best games are on cd so a core duo might be better but they are disgustingly expensive and fragile. Maybe get a junk one and replace the drive?

I have the Turbo Everdrive, jumped on it on release.
    I even had the developer fix a bug, can't remember what it was now, and it became the new version of it's firmware, I was so proud of myself... in retrospect it probably wasn't that big a deal, but it's kinda cool to be in contact with these people.

But the most remarkable thing, for me, about the PC Engine is the incredible games that were on such a small console.
    I mean, never mind the evolving expansions of the core system, that core system plays an amazing array of games, from RType and Outrun to BC Kid and Blazing Lazers.

Speaking of Blazing Lazers, must stick my complete copy on ebay...

BGOllie wrote: »
    any tips ? should I get one from the US or import from japan ?

I'd import from Japan. The TG16 is typically oversized, whereas the Jap model is so bloody tiny it's hard to comprehend the awesomeness inside! I had a Duo-R model that I sold, simply because I never used the cd element of it & wasn't prepared to pay some of the crazy money for those games. I had more fun with the hu-cards, & for those, all you need is the normal system. I went with the original type, there are variations on it like Retr0 said, the Core Grafx 1 & 2...I actually prefer the standard white one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The pc engine with the cd rom 2 is one my favorite console setups. Comes close to the Mega Drive, Cd 1 and 32x setup :)

47625.jpg

I like my ott console setups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Oayz6Oa.jpg?1

sDGm4BV.jpg?1

Obligatory sports titles.
    kmPgtAs.jpg?1

Playting through these at the moment. They still look great and play fantastic.
    B2dWq8K.jpg?1

Okami is amazing, regardless of the system its on.
    Thinking of picking up a physical copy of the PS3 HD release, and finally finishing it!

Ugh Kingdom Hearts. The PAL releases just like all Squaresoft/Enix games are really awful PAL conversions unfortunately. They play kind of crappy, which exasperates the already crappy gameplay :P (although I liked the first one on release, the sequels really lost the charm and challenge).

Good luck finishing Okami. It's about 80-120 hours to beat. Never made it past the 20 hour mark but it is a fabulous game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I got the toad lamp this week off club nintendo, terrible quality, you wouldn't buy it in a pound shop. Should have got the coin!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Okami really does wear out is welcome. I played it at release, and remember there being at least two moments where it seems the game is going to end - only to be followed by another chunk of the game as large as the one that came before it! I certainly don't remember it being 80-120 hours - maybe around 40 - but for all its beautiful art, fascinating exploration of Japanese mythology, compelling gameplay and imaginative mechanics... I think all that would have made more of an impact with a significantly more focused experience.

I heard there were quite a few false endings. 45 hours seems like the norm to beat it according to how long to beat.

My Destiny love in didn't last long.
    Just finished the regular story in it, a breeze really, must have been further through it than I had thought.
    Now, do I buy the physical release with all the dlc from an online vendor for €48, or do I forgetaboutit and play something else instead?
    Is it worth it?

Just wait for the Bloodborne DlC next month

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

My Destiny love in didn't last long.
    Just finished the regular story in it, a breeze really, must have been further through it than I had thought.
    Now, do I buy the physical release with all the dlc from an online vendor for €48, or do I forgetaboutit and play something else instead?
    Is it worth it?

Vanilla Destiny's appeal isn't really the story - there isn't much of one as you've already gathered. It's about the core gameplay, the lure of better gear and the community - if you enjoy those then the DLC is defintely worth it. The Dark Below was a bit meh, House of Wolves much better and then The Taken King is excellent - it has some decent story to it (Nathan Fillion as Cayde-6 is very good) and much much better gear. You'll also get an item with TTK that will boost a character to level 25 instantly and let you get stuck into the it's story missions if you wish.

And sure if you don't like it you can always trade it in. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Got my stepdown for the dreamcast in the post today, I'm just waiting on a yank figure 8 plug now !

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Vanilla Destiny's appeal isn't really the story - there isn't much of one as you've already gathered. It's about the core gameplay, the lure of better gear and the community - if you enjoy those then the DLC is defintely worth it. The Dark Below was a bit meh, House of Wolves much better and then The Taken King is excellent - it has some decent story to it (Nathan Fillion as Cayde-6 is very good) and much much better gear. You'll also get an item with TTK that will boost a character to level 25 instantly and let you get stuck into the it's story missions if you wish.

And sure if you don't like it you can always trade it in. :P

P'ah!
    As if! ;)

Are you asking us if you should buy the game for the third time?? :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Myrddin wrote: »
    Are you asking us if you should buy the game for the third time?? :eek::D

He's really cementing the reputation with this one. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The pc engine with the cd rom 2 is one my favorite console setups. Comes close to the Mega Drive, Cd 1 and 32x setup :)

47625.jpg

I like my ott console setups

One of those for sale here

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?76593-NEC-PC-Engine-CD-amp-Super-System-Card-3-0

Thats tempting but have to save my money for the moment. Something on the way to me next week

Hmmm, perhaps I could offset the badness of current gen purchases with an equally good retro buy....

Golden Axe 3?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Golden Axe 3?

I'd quit modding this forum and move to the Xbox forum if that was an obligation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

And the controller madness continues.. Got a Resident Evil Playstation controller today.. It's pretty much a regular digital pad with a funky button layout. No analogue fancy stuff like the Jogcon or Negcon ones.

HResiControl.jpg

• Advertisement

That might be the ugliest controller I've ever seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement