Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Yeah, it's great. It's a rom hack/translation patch that updates all the sprites, the map and pretty much everything else to give it more of an Earthbound feel. It still stays extremely true to the gameplay and experience, just updated.

Lovely gets! That controller looks great, I have been looking for something like that to work with the Retron for a while now.

I absolutely did not just immediately run to ebay and order one of them along with a copy of Mother. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Parawind wrote: »
    Lovely gets! That controller looks great, I have been looking for something like that to work with the Retron for a while now.

I absolutely did not just immediately run to ebay and order one of them along with a copy of Mother. ;)

Haha, just keep in mind you need to update the firmware for the controller before it works with the Retron 5. Pretty easy process, hook it up to a PC and run an .exe file.

Retron 5 has been amazing for translation patches and rom hacks. Being able to buy Japanese versions of games is great, so much cheaper. Plus you have access to games that never made it west, like Mother and Portopia in my last picture (Hideo Kojima's favourite game).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find my modded SNES with an everdrive does that. Still there's a lot of fan translations that crash or just don't work on original hardware. It works the other way around as well, the crappy emulation of anything but BSNES means translations for original hardware like the Megaten games are extremely buggy.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find my modded SNES with an everdrive does that. Still there's a lot of fan translations that crash or just don't work on original hardware. It works the other way around as well, the crappy emulation of anything but BSNES means translations for original hardware like the Megaten games are extremely buggy.

I considered Everdrives in the past, but there's something about playing off the original cart that is a sort of motivation for me to finish a game, even if the Retron 5 is just dumping the ROM.

I'm looking at picking up a SFC Mini in the next while, so maybe I'll reconsider an Everdrive then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm looking at picking up a SFC Mini in the next while, so maybe I'll reconsider an Everdrive then.

Composite out only :( You could mod it for RGB, but why not just pick up the glorious & perfect normal SFC?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Myrddin wrote: »
    Composite out only :( You could mod it for RGB, but why not just pick up the glorious & perfect normal SFC?

Ahem,
    Buy the Super NES from the states, no dremeling required!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ahem,
    Buy the Super NES from the states, no dremeling required!

Ah but it's looks are an issue of contention round here :D The PAL/SFC tops the aesthetics table :) The US Snes, while not to everyones liking, certainly looks better than a dremmeled out PAL/SFC model imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I considered Everdrives in the past, but there's something about playing off the original cart that is a sort of motivation for me to finish a game, even if the Retron 5 is just dumping the ROM.

I only use the everdrive for fan subs, I still much prefer playing on original hardware. There's just something off about emulation. The retron 5 emulation seems particularly off to me. But sure on the other hand the everdrive is a very expensive investment as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Think im the only person around here who likes the look of the us snes.

Carts at least are way nicer, lovely and symmetrical with top labels!

Think im the only person around here who likes the look of the us snes.

Carts at least are way nicer, lovely and symmetrical with top labels!

Nope I'd be a fan too, there is something nice about the US model. I imported one a while back, & am delighted to have it (I detest dremel'd cart slots), as I am happy to collect US carts for the reasons you state above + the price difference makes collecting ntsc WAY more appealing (this is curtailed a bit though with the weak euro). But in all that, even I can admit the PAL.SFC is a way better looking Snes. I picked up a non yellowed PAL model there recently, & have a fairly yellowed SFC that will be getting the retrobrite treatment very soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I love the US SNES aesthetic too. I think it's the purple switches. Mmmmmm purple.

Keno wrote: »
    I love the US SNES aesthetic too. I think it's the purple switches. Mmmmmm purple.

Prince-Purple-Rain-finger.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,223 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have such a love/hate relationship with PAL snes carts. Absolutely love their aesthetic and wouldn't collect anything else, but my christ are they a pain to store and flick through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

o1s1n wrote: »
    I have such a love/hate relationship with PAL snes carts. Absolutely love their aesthetic and wouldn't collect anything else, but my christ are they a pain to store and flick through.

Agreed on both counts there. Love collecting them but the unwavering ability they have to hide themselves in the middle of the pack while flicking through them would drive you bonkers :P

I hate collecting them and find one with a half arsed 50 Hz conversion. ****ing Super Aleste running at 50 Hz but the soundtrack has been sped up. It's totally bloody useless to me as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,223 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What I generally do myself to get around that is collect PAL carts that can be played correctly at 60hz, anything else I tend to pick up the Japanese version as they follow the same design.

Anything to avoid those NTSC US carts, they remind me of a stack of briquettes :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anything to avoid those NTSC US carts, they remind me of a stack of briquettes :pac:

It's all about the end-labels man :D

Not quite mine but thanks to Jack Burton !!!
    tom.jpg

Theater of magic in the house!
    Love having a fresh pin in the line up.
    Have fun with whitewater!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Will do. Put a few nice scores up on it last night so hopefully it will have a new grand champion soon :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Picked this up yesterday on the basis that it was cheap and may contain crap voice acting.

2F0ABA31-A94A-4CA8-AF3C-45BF52C1CA59_zpsknvifzu4.jpg

Dafuq is that?

My Halloween game arrived:

X5fgBX8.jpg

Completely forgot about this, even though it's not *exactly* retro:

uKfGaS1.jpg

Officially my rarest Vita game, until next week ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow, didn't know that got a physical release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

XsTAKbW.jpg

Some CIB **** material from Steve Bailey:

0TJJjNJl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I have a package from him held in customs at the moment, the dreaded letter was waiting for me when I got in today. I had a feeling it was coming too. Bokan Desuyo is insane like the first one, a great bundle of games you picked up from him.

Yeah my other package from him got snared in customs as well today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

This 21 euro customs limit is a joke in Europe, in the U.S. you aren't taxed on items upto a value of $200!

Imagine all the games and consoles you'd be ordering from Japan if you lived over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

The last three out of four packages have been opened for examination, resealed with the customs tape and delivered. I was starting to think it was the blendy coffee he includes with the games showing up on x-ray machines. On a more positive note I had the good fortune to receive a fee copy of Ganbare Goemon 2. I placed a bid on ebay, only to be outbid, I thought that was the end of it until it arrived in the post last week.

I got the rest of these from Steve, I highly recommend Side by Side Special. I only discovered it a few months ago myself, it was around fifteen euro delivered.

P1070008_zpstfkajisy.jpg

P1070013_zpsxbnl1opb.jpg

P1070012_zpsko3lmgvu.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement