Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I don't think I've bought a single game on release in the last 5 years.
    The quality of games just hasn't been there for me that I can't wait a few months for the game, and then pay €30 instead of €50+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It's be nice if he went around and tidied the place up while I sleep!

Why are new games so damn expensive?! Was going to go pick up the new need for speed this week but it's €60+ everywhere. €75 in hmv/GameStop. €70 in Smyths and €63 in Argos. I don't mind €50 or so for a new game but over €60 I feel is taking the pistachio a bit. The crap sterling exchange rate rules out Amazon and the like. I guess I'll just hold out and hope for some Black Friday deals at the end of the month.

Its 47 Euro on Amazon

I don't think I've bought a single game on release in the last 5 years.
    The quality of games just hasn't been there for me that I can't wait a few months for the game, and then pay €30 instead of €50+.

My fallout 4 just got delivered today.
    Will be picking up a bottle of gin and some munchies on the way home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

It seems like several millennia passed I have posted a get here.

I saw this canvas printing service on AliExpress which does prints from $6 delivered so I decided to take a punt on it with my favourite 8-bit scene from a game.

This is how it tuned out:

3LuzP5m.jpg

YvBz9n2.jpg

I think I like the first one more.

The colours are brighter and more vibrant in reality, the canvas is a cheap shiny type.

One thing I regret big time is resizing the images myself in Paint because it made them blurry.

I only researched today that you need to use the "Nearest Neighbour" setting in Photoshop for enlarging pixel art to keep it sharp.

I'm tempted to do that now and order another one! lol

Here's the 2nd one next to my commodore:

zl5qrv7.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Games aren't really any more expensive than they were in the past, though - taking into account inflation and the massively increased budget of games (offset somewhat by the increased playerbase, admittedly) they're actually probably cheaper to buy new in shops than they were a few generations ago. That weird period a few years ago when new games selling for 40-50 euro was noteworthy, but fair to say unrealistic (and probably helped drive HMV out of business :pac:). Only in the PC 'grey market' are new games substantially cheaper than ever before, but obviously there's dubious if not outright suspect reasons behind that in many cases.

The rise of digital marketplaces has, though, meant that heavy discounts start earlier, so if you don't want to pay full price you rarely have to wait very long to get a big chunk knocked off the price. Digital has also meant the rise of alternative pricing models - it's never been easier or more acceptable to sell smaller or independent games at a decent price (regrettably in some cases - the race to the bottom means too many gamers think 20 quid is an outrageous price for a polished, substantial indie game :(). The only real issue I have with the price of games these days is that there isn't a more significant difference between retail and digital prices for new releases, when by all accounts the latter should at the very least be a few euro cheaper. Other than that, though, I reckon we've never had it so good TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The high prices at the moment are due to the low install base on the new consoles. Once it picks up (this Christmas is going to be massive for them) you'll see the prices drop as retailers compete with each other. It happens every generation, I remember PS3 and 360 games at launch being 70-80 euro at launch for the first 2 years ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The only real issue I have with the price of games these days is that there isn't a more significant difference between retail and digital prices for new releases, when by all accounts the latter should at the very least be a few euro cheaper

Agreed, there really should be some disparity there I feel. Or at least something added to digital purchases like a built in season pass, free dlc or something along those lines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,796 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That's to do with bricks and mortar retailers. They still have a lot of pulling power and if digital stores undercut them then they would threaten to deny the publisher shelf space.

On the other hand a closed off digital store owned by a first party is an even bigger disadvantage to the consumer since the platform holder has a monopoly and doesn't have any competition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I recall spending £60 on a copy of Virtua Racing for the MD, on release!
    And I can also remember the delight when Sony introduced their Platinum range, you could pick up a non-crap game on the PS for only £19.99, it really was a big deal at the time, I was working my days off in Gamesworld at the time.
    Also, I can recall people throwing money at N64 releases, particularly the likes of Zelda OoT, man that was a massive release, as was Goldeneye, just insane. The year that OoT came out, unless you had it bought by the end of November Santy was just not going to be bringing it down your little Billy Jo Bob's chimney for his stocking, he'd have to make do with Bubsy 3D or something instead :(

As for big releases now, I'm in zero rush, aside from WiiU stuff, and even then it's not as broad as it once was in appeal. So I have yet to buy Pikmin 3 or Wonderful 101, though I will, some day.
    I have bought, at release, Super Mario 3D World, Yoshi Woolly World and Treasure Tracker, as well as Bayonetta 1/2, and I've finished none of them :(
    So, I know, paying a premium for a big release on any format will inevitably mean that it is going to rest on a shelf for 4 months or longer before I get to it, so why not just wait until I am ready to play and the game is cheaper too?
    So, I'm heading into CEX to trade in a bunch of crap and getting Batman Arkham Knight, finally, for the PS4, and Halo MCC for the Xbox One, stashing the latter away for myself for Chrimbo.
    I just won't ever play Project Zero, that special edition is still in Balbriggan GS btw, for 69.99, and Fallout 4 can wait.

I was saving myself for Starwars Battleground, but they've no single player campaign so, despite how great looking it is, there is no draw for a lonely single player like me :(

I think the only new release I bought and played the frak out of was Bloodborne, as a matter of fact, and if I had any discipline at all I'd avoid buying anything else until I had Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 finished!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doge wrote: »
    It seems like several millennia passed I have posted a get here.

I saw this canvas printing service on AliExpress which does prints from $6 delivered so I decided to take a punt on it with my favourite 8-bit scene from a game.

This is how it tuned out:

3LuzP5m.jpg

YvBz9n2.jpg

I think I like the first one more.

The colours are brighter and more vibrant in reality, the canvas is a cheap shiny type.

One thing I regret big time is resizing the images myself in Paint because it made them blurry.

I only researched today that you need to use the "Nearest Neighbour" setting in Photoshop for enlarging pixel art to keep it sharp.

I'm tempted to do that now and order another one! lol

Here's the 2nd one next to my commodore:

zl5qrv7.jpg

With that graphic style you might have been better off getting a much higher resolution screenshot from an emulator.

• Advertisement

Steve X2 wrote: »
    With that graphic style you might have been better off getting a much higher resolution screenshot from an emulator.

Winvice only seems to take screenshots at the c64's native resolution.

Unlees you mean hitting Prt Scrn and cropping?

I'm after doing the proper resize jobby in Photoshop now anyway and ordering from another seller that uses normal cotton canvas instead of the glossy cotton and polyester canvas the last seller used, for a few dollars more.

Steve when I was resizing the image this time I set the Document Size to the same size as the canvas it's printing on. i.e. in inches and maintaining the correct aspect ratio.

Is it okay to match the size of the document with the size of the print material, or should you go higher?

Cheers

More Steve Bailey goodies. I need to stay away from his sales the next two months, he has me broke but he keeps putting up such good stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thanks to Mitch.

Stuck in the hall for now as it cant fit through any doors. Have to take the back sliding door off :s

Its a slippery slope this arcade machine habit.
    Nice get mate was tempted by this but with a Blast City and AWSD i thought better of it :-) might not be able to turn down the next one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thanks to Mitch.

Stuck in the hall for now as it cant fit through any doors. Have to take the back sliding door off :s

Its a slippery slope this arcade machine habit.

Nice one edd. Thought it was going to be a woody when you said fixer upper on another thread!

Spot any mortal kombat cabs on your visit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Quote: FixitFelix
    Nice get mate was tempted by this but with a Blast City and AWSD i thought better of it :-) might not be able to turn down the next one

Yeah it was too good to turn down and the New Astro City didnt need much work. I enjoy doing a few bits at least.
    Anyone taken one of these fully apart before?

Quote: TechnoFreek
    Nice one edd. Thought it was going to be a woody when you said fixer upper on another thread!

Spot any mortal kombat cabs on your visit?

Well as i said, more of a fixer upper than the newer astro city. And defo not as much work as the Silverline, which is nearly there, (attached) only took a year but a fun learning experience.

I think i might have seen a mortal kombat one, so much goodies in Mitch's place. Plenty more to come for the marketplace hopefully :)

bsz73dJl.jpg

AI cho aniki, raystorm, Ray crisis and Pepsiman. The price I got Pepsiman for could be considered criminal in some cultures.

Winvice only seems to take screenshots at the c64's native resolution.

Unlees you mean hitting Prt Scrn and cropping?

I'm after doing the proper resize jobby in Photoshop now anyway and ordering from another seller that uses normal cotton canvas instead of the glossy cotton and polyester canvas the last seller used, for a few dollars more.

Steve when I was resizing the image this time I set the Document Size to the same size as the canvas it's printing on. i.e. in inches and maintaining the correct aspect ratio.

Is it okay to match the size of the document with the size of the print material, or should you go higher?

Cheers

I see what you mean on the vice emu. Anyway I was able to capture at full 1080p res pic after a bit of messing, and do a quick and nasty vector from that.
    I've attached a zipped .ai file and small png preview of the result.

If you can send me a snapshot(as in a save snapshot so i can load up the game at the point you want snapped and printed) I can capture and send on to you so you can have a play around and see if its a better option for you to send off to be printed up.

I see what you mean on the vice emu. Anyway I was able to capture at full 1080p res pic after a bit of messing, and do a quick and nasty vector from that.
    I've attached a zipped .ai file and small png preview of the result.

If you can send me a snapshot(as in a save snapshot so i can load up the game at the point you want snapped and printed) I can capture and send on to you so you can have a play around and see if its a better option for you to send off to be printed up.

Thanks a lot for the offer but its a bit tricky!

You're actually seeing 2 frames merged, I wanted to get the bird in the shot while you're kneeling before the buddha. :o

And I'm also using the CCS colour palette instead of the default one.

I've attached the resized image I sent them.

Let me know what you think, to me it looks fine but maybe you're expert eye can spot something wrong!

The Resolution was set to 72 dpi when I enlarged it but I'm guessing for a low res image englarged it won't make a differene since the pixels will be big?

Thanks again for your help dude, you're a rare gem!

Thanks a lot for the offer but its a bit tricky!

You're actually seeing 2 frames merged, I wanted to get the bird in the shot while you're kneeling before the buddha. :o

And I'm also using the CCS colour palette instead of the default one.

I've attached the resized image I sent them.

Let me know what you think, to me it looks fine but maybe you're expert eye can spot something wrong!

The Resolution was set to 72 dpi when I enlarged it but I'm guessing for a low res image englarged it won't make a differene since the pixels will be big?

Thanks again for your help dude, you're a rare gem!

To be honest that's still way to low resolution to be sending off to be professionally printed and expect good quality(plus the colours look wrong to me, washed out etc).

Have a look at the attached file as i quickly fixed up the colours and resized it a bit(without loss of detail or edges without resorting to vectorising thanks to the source image only having hard edges).

To be honest that's still way to low resolution to be sending off to be professionally printed and expect good quality(plus the colours look wrong to me, washed out etc).

Have a look at the attached file as i quickly fixed up the colours and resized it a bit(without loss of detail or edges without resorting to vectorising thanks to the source image only having hard edges).

Thanks a million Steve, you're a magician! :D

I owe you so many pints at this stage you'd end up with alcohol poisoning! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked up the 'X' series of space sims on GOG for peanuts, I may never leave the house again...

Thanks a million Steve, you're a magician! :D

I owe you so many pints at this stage you'd end up with alcohol poisoning! :)

no probs dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

open the screencap up in photshop (if its gif or png) then upscale using nearest neighbor, anything else would make it blurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pepsiman's been on my 'to get' list for the longest time. It looks like a hyper-capitalistic fever-dream on rails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

First gets for a while. I was almost having withdrawal symptoms, ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Never heard of Vampire Night, what's it like? (you mightn't know yourself but someone else might)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Never heard of Vampire Night, what's it like? (you mightn't know yourself but someone else might)

A Namco light gun game from recollection.
    Average enough

I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but from what I've seen of it, it seems quite similar to House of the Dead (cheesy voice acting and all) with vampires instead of zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I wish they didn't make tourist trophy so easy to get any bike you wanted, otherwise it would've been a much better game.
    I lost my copy moving a few years ago :(

• Advertisement

airmax87 wrote: »
    I wish they didn't make tourist trophy so easy to get any bike you wanted, otherwise it would've been a much better game.
    I lost my copy moving a few years ago :(

It's another one that I haven't seen much of tbh. It looks a lot like the PSP version of Gran Turismo. Should be fun enough though :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement