Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It can be a snobby scene (similar to any other hobby really), but cheaper turntables do result in more wear on your vinyl.

If I were going to pick up a turntable for my hifi system I'd do what I normally do and buy higher end old gear that still works great that nobody seems to want anymore :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    It can be a snobby scene (similar to any other hobby really), but cheaper turntables do result in more wear on your vinyl.

If I were going to pick up a turntable for my hifi system I'd do what I normally do and buy higher end old gear that still works great that nobody seems to want anymore :pac:

Was just about the to say the same.

Avoid those ones with the Generic Red coloured Needle cartridges, lon audio is one example, they'll wear the **** of your records.

Best to have a removable headshell with the 4 wires like dj turntables have.

A direct drive turntable would be better for keeping stable pitch / speed.

Theres some good recommendations here from fact mag on budget turntables:

http://www.factmag.com/2014/03/31/the-eight-best-budget-turntables-that-wont-ruin-your-records/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Some of the GET's from Christmas

These two bring my quest of a complete Zelda cib collection all the more closer...not many left to get now...

And possibly the world coolest bookends! The detail on them is really impressive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Not really retro but a 3ds with majoras mask is bringing me back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah I was looking at those but they seem to be universally despised by the vinyl communities:

http://www.knowzy.com/Computers/Audio/Digitize_Your_LPs/USB_Record_Player_Turntable_Comparison.htm

Then again its a very snobby scene that probably hates anything for less than a grand. There were a few decent Sonys in our family for years that probably cost a fortune when they were bought, asked what happened to them and they'd all been taken to the collection points along with the CRT tvs around the time of the Saorview switch :(

Yeah it is a very snobby scene. I don't find that my one wears the records any more than any other system would.

Of course if you want to get a proper DJ turntable deck with direct drive and a needle that costs an arm and a leg then go for it but to be honest the ones designed for USB ripping are fine for casual listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Christmas gets! Thanks Santa, now I can save all the hot babes in until dawn.

A6F6BA87-AE8C-4965-939E-C80EEDFCA507_zpstxv307sg.jpg

Also thanks to my secret Santa for the retro gamer annual, cool spot & desert strike on the MD and the Sprite!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've finally gotten my games installed on the Xbox One, so that's Halo MCC, Halo 5 and Rare Replay, as well as Elite Dangerous downloaded.
    I also got myself a EA Vault subscription that has so far netted me the underwhelming titles Need for Speed: Some Crappy Edition as well as Plants Vs Zombies.
    Picked up a 2nd controller for the thing today in Smyth's via voucher and a copy of Codename STEAM for a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Need for Speed: Some Crappy Edition

I think it's safe to use that to describe every NFS game this decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

MrVestek wrote: »
    Yeah it is a very snobby scene. I don't find that my one wears the records any more than any other system would.

Of course if you want to get a proper DJ turntable deck with direct drive and a needle that costs an arm and a leg then go for it but to be honest the ones designed for USB ripping are fine for casual listening.

The standard needles used by djs are the Stanton 500 AL II, and cost €24 so not exactly an arm and a leg.

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/stanton-500-al-ii-cartridge/222372-01/

You can pick up direct drive dj turntables for 100 quid second hand, im sure a direct drive non dj turntable can be had cheaper.

I absolutely despise the elitism in the dj vinyl scene too so only trying to offer honest advice.

My current setup is looked down onand mocked by most djs, an iPad with a dj controller! ;)

DDJ-WEGO2-K-with-iPad_300dpi-5in.jpg

Apparently you're not a "real dj" unless you use vinyl!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Vinyl is so passé,

Edison cylinders is where it's at!
    Then you're really scratching wax!
    1035953_1_l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Got a few of the data discs records myself. They really are top notch

12362389_893616210754237_1210716708_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Japanese Super Shinobi II boxart is one of my favourites, it's absolutely gorgeous. Would quite like to pick up that vinyl and have it framed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Mostly modern stuff for me this Xmas. But i did get a nice minty Speccy+ from my bro :) The colour logo thing still has its plastic wrap on, which I like to see in a minty machine for the collection.
    In its original box and styrofoam as well(they were a little worse for the wear).

KZj4SRD.jpg

cPhuKvy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice looking speccy :)
    Mostly new stuff for me, PS4 and a bunch of games - gods knows the damage done to my broadband allowance with all the poxy updates !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

Nice looking speccy :)
    Mostly new stuff for me, PS4 and a bunch of games - gods knows the damage done to my broadband allowance with all the poxy updates !!

Was just thinking that myself. Haven't had a chance to play it since last month and turned it on today to find a nice bunch of updates. Just realised when I was in the downloads menu that the Witcher 3 updates now total to just over 17gb...

The Japanese Super Shinobi II boxart is one of my favourites, it's absolutely gorgeous. Would quite like to pick up that vinyl and have it framed.

The full Japanese boxart is in the vinyl aswell, really is a stunning print. Next vinyl is Streets of Rage 2 I think. I'll probably start just picking up the limited edition for each release now. I get access to the online store a few hours earlier aswell so its handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The full Japanese boxart is in the vinyl aswell, really is a stunning print. Next vinyl is Streets of Rage 2 I think. I'll probably start just picking up the limited edition for each release now. I get access to the online store a few hours earlier aswell so its handy
    How? :P

Pity the Shinobi one is out of print (for now anyway) as I'd quite like to pick that up myself too.

Looks like the artwork will also fit in a standard Vinyl frame too... thinking of framing the prints I got with my records when I get a chance.

Christmas has me smashed!

Was just thinking that myself. Haven't had a chance to play it since last month and turned it on today to find a nice bunch of updates. Just realised when I was in the downloads menu that the Witcher 3 updates now total to just over 17gb...

I was trying the backwards compatibility feature on the XB1 only to discover that, rather than play the games from the discs it, instead, downloads the whole thing from MS' servers and uses the game disc as a key, the upswing of which is that the 500Gb hdd is going to get very full very quick.
    Seems the WiiU stopgap of buying a external hdd is the recommended solution here as well, I'll probably get a 1Tb USB 3.0 harddrive, though with these install sizes even that's not going to be enough once one develops a reasonable library of titles.

I was trying the backwards compatibility feature on the XB1 only to discover that, rather than play the games from the discs it, instead, downloads the whole thing from MS' servers and uses the game disc as a key, the upswing of which is that the 500Gb hdd is going to get very full very quick.
    Seems the WiiU stopgap of buying a external hdd is the recommended solution here as well, I'll probably get a 1Tb USB 3.0 harddrive, though with these install sizes even that's not going to be enough once one develops a reasonable library of titles.

It would be ideal if discs could be played directly on the 360 emulator, and perhaps in time they can be. It's still a way, way better approach than Sony's "Yay, you get to pay for all your two generation old games again folks coz' we've added trophies to them!" I got a 3TB external there for €99 in Argos before Christmas...should be good for a while

• Advertisement

MrVestek wrote: »
    How? :P

Pity the Shinobi one is out of print (for now anyway) as I'd quite like to pick that up myself too.

Looks like the artwork will also fit in a standard Vinyl frame too... thinking of framing the prints I got with my records when I get a chance.

Christmas has me smashed!

I dunno, think I signed up to the mailing list very early or something. That super hang on is great as well, even if the soundtrack isn't that long.

Only saw the post about the turntables now. I play all my vinyls on a Phillips CD/bluetooth/radio/vinyl player. I never got into the whole audiophile thing with them.

I might invest in a proper turntable setup when I get my garcade fully setup. Have to buy some concrete and rebar first though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

That's good to know. I got an Xbox One for Christmas, though I'll more than likely still play the 360 games on the 360. It's a shame you can't do the same with the PS4. I didn't bother with the Hard Drive swap when I bought it, and I can't be bothered doing it now!

Just splurged on Xenoblade Chronicles X, back in stock in Smyth's in Swords, for €59.99
    Might be a while before I get to play it though!

Also, just indulged in the 15 odd gigs of data to improve loading times, might as well give that external hdd a work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I just need a power supply for the sufami now.

UalKTZA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

airmax87 wrote: »
    Mate sold me his SNES, now to wait for my nintendo screwdriver thingie and rgb scart cables.
    Dunno what to do with the PAL mobo after I chuck the famicom one in.
    What's a fair price for these games btw ?

fkG5nC1.jpg

Let me know what you're doing with the PAL mobo. My brothers fiancee's just died there at Xmas, so I might be interested in yours if you're not using it! Might have to replace the mobo from the sounds of it.

That brother in question got me gamebits for my birthday a few months before. :L Handy eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Linoud wrote: »
    Let me know what you're doing with the PAL mobo. My brothers fiancee's just died there at Xmas, so I might be interested in yours if you're not using it! Might have to replace the mobo from the sounds of it.

That brother in question got me gamebits for my birthday a few months before. :L Handy eh?

I'll message you once I get my hands on a super famicom psu, I thought the PAL one worked as it was external but I thought wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Never thought I'd get this. Ordered it off eBay back at the end of September. Never arrived and messaged the seller who said it was returned to him due to a customs issue and to wait a little longer. Did that and a few weeks later still no sign. The time had gone past to file a claim so I cut my losses as it was only a tenner and left negative feedback. Low and behold it arrived this morning!

BCD4AF9E-A0C9-4D22-A5AD-5EA3417FF1BA_zpsrzypvtnp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Only get of a type in an age :) a new desk!
    373159.jpg

The lovely people in IKEA are to blame, it be called a 'Fredde Workstation'.

• Advertisement

"Is that a fancy PC enclosure?"
    "No, it's a bad ass amp!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement