Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was Quinnsworth, I was a trainee nurse in Sligo when they hit and Quinnsworth had a promotion with the devices
    I think I was too busy with my Gameboy, other people probably though these machines offered a similar experience, I guess they found out when they got them home!
    Obsolete tech, reminds me of the minitel consoles, remember them? It think it was a French thing, companies had numbers specific to them too, for a little while, until the web took over, and personal computer ownership became ubiquitous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It was Quinnsworth, I was a trainee nurse in Sligo when they hit and Quinnsworth had a promotion with the devices
    I think I was too busy with my Gameboy, other people probably though these machines offered a similar experience, I guess they found out when they got them home!
    Obsolete tech, reminds me of the minitel consoles, remember them? It think it was a French thing, companies had numbers specific to them too, for a little while, until the web took over, and personal computer ownership became ubiquitous.

Minitel was still going up to a few years ago i think in parts of France.

Maybe Ollie had some dealings with the system/network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

they were all over France alright. Sort of like the internet before the internet. Even back then though everyone agreed it was ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kerbdog used to surf the net with an Amiga, and remember these Bush TV Box,
    Absolutely awful, just before everyone had a PC they sold these to get people online.
    http://www.retrocomputers.eu/2010/07/22/risc-os-on-the-bush-ibx200-internet-tv-box/
    4816799672_296f1b6ea3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Kerbdog used to surf the net with an Amiga, and remember these Bush TV Box,
    Absolutely awful, just before everyone had a PC they sold these to get people online.
    http://www.retrocomputers.eu/2010/07/22/risc-os-on-the-bush-ibx200-internet-tv-box/
    4816799672_296f1b6ea3.jpg

internet-serious-business.jpg

• Advertisement

I remember living in an apartment in Rathgar in 1999 (I think). My main means of computing and getting online was with my trusty Psion series 5(hooked up via a mess of cables/adapters to a slow dial up modem). I still have it boxed away somewhere.

Good times, but slow times :)

psion_s5c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Minitel was still going up to a few years ago i think in parts of France.

Maybe Ollie had some dealings with the system/network?

Ah, I have one of those terminals - nice and neat unit with a flip up keyboard and CRT in one

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Ah, I have one of those terminals - nice and neat unit with a flip up keyboard and CRT in one

Any potential for a nice retro game conversion??

Remember unison ?
    I never had one but I'd bet it was dog ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I remember living in an apartment in Rathgar in 1999 (I think). My main means of computing and getting online was with my trusty Psion series 5(hooked up via a mess of cables/adapters to a slow dial up modem). I still have it boxed away somewhere.

Good times, but slow times :)

psion_s5c.jpg

Ive got a psion netbook, still works, not the pic attached.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ive got a psion netbook, still works, not the pic attached.

Cool, i like me some psion hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Cool, i like me some psion hardware.

Well they merged with Teklogix after that, who eventually were bought by Motorola and then Zebra. Just some of the equipment i configure on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Remember unison ?

Had one, total muck alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Remember unison ?
    haha remember them! MY mate won one with the Sunday World or something like that, useless piece of ****, could barely even load pages, I don't think I ever seen anybody successfully do anything with it lol.
    Thankfully I'd a nice IBM 386 25mhz since the early ninties and was online shortly after that arrived:cool: but I think I was on a half decent pentium by the time they arrived

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

I'd join and invite people of you link?
    We could try put it on Arcade and Retro's Facebook maybe

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NintendoIreland/

If it's alright to link it, there it is! If not, could a mod just remove the link? If so, PM me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I managed to somehow save a High Definition Graphics Megadrive from the skip, courtesy of the aul mods forum! Boxed with a few games & all. However, I'm only getting a blank screen on power up...so it's a sickly Megadrive. I'm thinking cap kit as a starting point? Anyone know where to get kits for a PAL Megadrive (VA4)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    I managed to somehow save a High Definition Graphics Megadrive from the skip, courtesy of the aul mods forum! Boxed with a few games & all. However, I'm only getting a blank screen on power up...so it's a sickly Megadrive. I'm thinking cap kit as a starting point? Anyone know where to get kits for a PAL Megadrive (VA4)?

Did you give it a deep clean first of all? Could just be a dirty cartridge slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Did you give it a deep clean first of all? Could just be a dirty cartridge slot

I tried the credit card method with a micro fibre cloth...made no odds :(

I now also own a Raspberry PI Zero, courtesy of Kerbdog, came with the adapter kit and I picked up a powered USB hub for it too.
    Now to figure what to do with it!

I now also own a Raspberry PI Zero, courtesy of Kerbdog, came with the adapter kit and I picked up a powered USB hub for it too.
    Now to figure what to do with it!

Well, not for everyone. But I'm using a water sealed Pi zero, led light, battery and camera to record underwater video and images. Have 2 setup just a little offshore at shankill beach.
    The Pi zero uses so little power I'm getting about 70-80 hours run time from the battery. If it wasn't for the camera I guess it would run days longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Any potential for a nice retro game conversion??

Possible - http://www.cfp-radio.com/realisations/rea48/minitel-01.html
    Not the same model thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Picked this up today,condition is excellent, havent had a chance to try it out yet.Is there any mods worth doing to this or am i better off leaving as is.Also didnt come with a controller which i thought it did so if any one has a spare one id gladly buy it
    Mj17BfR.jpg
    Cuqq0at.jpg
    1mPEI9f.jpg

Just hope it works :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks tasty :) Just get a modchips for playing CD-R's, the prices of some original Jap discs is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

These are the last few bits I picked up, it's a while since I posted on this thread. A lot of these are from last year and the pce was a present.

Initial D, The Mini Skirt Police and Zombie vs Ambulance, and the two Maximo games.
    IMG_20151125_163715_zpsuapbys5n.jpg
    P1070198_zpsdm2ey1sv.jpg

IMG_20151120_192926_zpsjkbsih5m_edit_1448056564164_zpsnbpv34vv.jpg
    IMG_20151221_171031_zpsrj3achgq.jpg
    IMG_20151120_201238_zpsbxtjfzo9_edit_1448051071121_zpswloolyma.jpg
    IMG_20160106_191853_zpslwo76nxs_edit_1452108217029_zpscd4vuifa.jpg

Violinist of Hameln on the SFC.
    IMG_20160118_181302_zpsu4m5ubnf.jpg

I joined the PC engine club thanks to Steve Bailey, a Christmas present from Mrs Smash. Oisin was good enough to point me to a seller that makes rgb cables, cost more than the console but worth it.

IMG_20151226_202235_zpstuu1yzxo_edit_1451218507178_zpsesh8q98e.jpg

I saved the best till last, I got a jammacon with three adapters from The Last Bandit. It kept me busy over the Christmas. I only tried the Saturn adapter so far, if you have a cab you need one, the build quality is top notch too.

IMG_20151230_122535_zpsh4zcgrz1.jpg
    IMG_20151229_230729_zpsugiebmlo.jpg
    IMG_20160101_204202_zpsmjwr6ek4.jpg

Looks tasty :) Just get a modchips for playing CD-R's, the prices of some original Jap discs is scary.

If you have an action replay cart and Google pseudo Saturn it may help you out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Truly lovely gets there Cosmic. Nice setup too. :cool:

If you don't already have it, I can recommend getting Raiden DX for the PS1 also, amazing port.

Have pondered many times about getting one of those Jammacons, how badly do I want to play Battle Garegga and Image Fight on the cab...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never has a piece of hardware made me rethink my PCB collection as much as that jammacon. There are so many amazing arcade ports on the Saturn it does almost feel like it makes the PCB versions redundant.

Definitely get one :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Truly lovely gets there Cosmic. Nice setup too. :cool:

If you don't already have it, I can recommend getting Raiden DX for the PS1 also, amazing port.

Have pondered many times about getting one of those Jammacons, how badly do I want to play Battle Garegga and Image Fight on the cab...

Thanks, I have extensions for the joypad ordered, I'm going to mount the board in the cab and run the cables through the back to keep things tidy. You're right about DX it's a cracking game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Never has a piece of hardware made me rethink my PCB collection as much as that jammacon. There are so many amazing arcade ports on the Saturn it does almost feel like it makes the PCB versions redundant.

Definitely get one :)

My meagre PCB collection is staying put, there's something nice about having to swap out PCBs every now and then, even if it's not good for the ole back! :pac:

But yeah, I have a few Saturn shmups I'd like to play on the big screen alright. The B&O could become the dedicated display for the PS2 shmups.
    Thanks, I have extensions for the joypad ordered, I'm going to mount the board in the cab and run the cables through the back to keep things tidy. You're right about DX it's a cracking game.

That would be much neater (and safer for the jammacon) for sure.

My cab is downstairs in an alcove beside the fire so not much space either side of it. I must see does the Saturn itself fit inside the cab, I was able to fit an Xbox 360 it in at one stage so that might work. I'd just leave the stepdown outside. Hmmm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Lovely gets Cosmic. Who was the previous owner of the cab do you mind me asking?

Andrew, assuming the shmups you have in mind all had arcade releases, a PC running groovymame can't be beat!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement