Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I remember those kind of dust covers being pretty common back in the day, but they probably wouldn't have had any UV protection in them at that time!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ah ok now I understand. They look useful.

Steve - is your C64 modded to load games from SD? As much as I love the machine the loading times have always put me off buying one again. I often wonder how I would fare these days with Track & Field compared to my 8 year old self. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I often wonder how I would fare these days with Track & Field compared to my 8 year old self. :pac:

i-really-enjoy-my-joystick_o_200168.gif

Thankfully I was too young to have a haircut like that!

He's also an amateur - for proper fast times in T&F the joystick needed to be on a stable surface and you only moved the stick far enough for the microswitch to register. Zipstick was king. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thankfully I was too young to have a haircut like that!

He's also an amateur - for proper fast times in T&F the joystick needed to be on a stable surface and you only moved the stick far enough for the microswitch to register. Zipstick was king. ;)

I had it on the Spectrum, or at least I had Daley Thompson's Decathlon, which was a clone of sorts.
    Many Quickshot 2 sticks died to bring us entertainment....
    Or least other peoples did, and I fixed them!
    My personal stick was a Competition Pro,
    IMG_4646.jpg
    similar design to the Zipstick
    4b5673e6f427e4fa7425254503f93ad7.jpg

But this is the Hypersports/Track&Field game I'm hoping to buy in the coming weeks, on the Famicom, with a dedicated controller.
    $_1.JPG

And, because Japan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

First purchase in an age

Hope these little whippersnappers appreciate this little gem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ah ok now I understand. They look useful.

Steve - is your C64 modded to load games from SD? As much as I love the machine the loading times have always put me off buying one again. I often wonder how I would fare these days with Track & Field compared to my 8 year old self. :pac:

No it doesn’t load via SD(my A600 does). It’s got an internal 8GB CF Card HDD and boots to workbench with WHDLoad and the standard floppy on the side. I decided to leave the floppy for loading up my real physical games and testing new purchases.
    This A1200 also has a few upgrades to the proc, memory etc so WHDLoad works pretty well.

I have the 1541 Ultimate II Cart which has a microSD slot and even a usb slot for plugging in flash drives or hard drives.

Seeing the manufacturer and model of your flash drive appear on the c64 screen when you plug it in is uncanny.

Its quite expensive at about 130 euro and theres a waiting list, but it is a fine peice of technology.

Its a full FPGA emulation of the 1541 Disk Drive so it has maximum compatibility with games unlike the cheaper ones. A lot of c64 games used fastloaders which took advantage of the extra processor in the disk drive to load games faster, which is why cheaper ones like the SD2IEC can't load them

It emulates cartridge games too which load instantly and you can even connect it to the cassette port to emulate tapes using the tape adapter!

Theres quite a few disk based games after been converted to cartridge format in recent years by folks on Csdb.

The user interface is great also, all you have to do is press the middle button to bring up the menu and from there you can use the joystick or keyboard to browse through roms and load up a game. Theres also a SID player.

Theres a new version being developed which will include an ethernet port for connecting to the internet or to network shares (i think).

Its an absolute beast of a cart but if youre only looking to play a few games it might be worth looking at the SD2IEC.

Doge wrote: »
    I have the 1541 Ultimate II Cart which has a microSD slot and even a usb slot for plugging in flash drives or hard drives.

Seeing the manufacturer and model of your flash drive appear on the c64 screen when you plug it in is uncanny.

Its quite expensive at about 130 euro and theres a waiting list, but it is a fine peice of technology.

Its a full FPGA emulation of the 1541 Disk Drive so it has maximum compatibility with games unlike the cheaper ones. A lot of c64 games used fastloaders which took advantage of the extra processor in the disk drive to load games faster, which is why cheaper ones like the SD2IEC can't load them

It emulates cartridge games too which load instantly and you can even connect it to the cassette port to emulate tapes using the tape adapter!

Theres quite a few disk based games after been converted to cartridge format in recent years by folks on Csdb.

The user interface is great also, all you have to do is press the middle button to bring up the menu and from there you can use the joystick or keyboard to browse through roms and load up a game. Theres also a SID player.

Theres a new version being developed which will include an ethernet port for connecting to the internet or to network shares (i think).

Its an absolute beast of a cart but if youre only looking to play a few games it might be worth looking at the SD2IEC.

Thats just C64 though, yes? Not Amiga.
    Or is there a way to connect and use it on Amiga's now?

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Thats just C64 though, yes? Not Amiga.
    Or is there a way to connect and use it on Amiga's now?

Yep, I was asking about the C64 not Amiga. :D
    I have my 1200 modded with a HDD, was just curious what the options were for C64. That 1541 cart looks tasty.

• Advertisement

Yep, I was asking about the C64 not Amiga. :D
    I have my 1200 modded with a HDD, was just curious what the options were for C64. That 1541 cart looks tasty.

Ahhh
    Me sleepy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I never saw these before, build your own paper arcade.

13432412_1015495505165903_3258271681815372252_n_zpsqyfrt11s.jpg
    AeroCity_PaperCraft_zpsyjh8ei8f.jpg

http://petes-emulation.com/ftp/acm/docs/AeroCity_PaperCraft.jpg

I wonder how they made the ball tops in the first picture though!

I wonder how they made the ball tops in the first picture though!

large.jpg

large.jpg

After a reverse image search I'm afraid to ask how you know what "pearl headed pins are!" :P

After a reverse image search I'm afraid to ask how you know what "pearl headed pins are!" :P

Added pins like these to some 3D printed arcade machine mini's a while back :)

Had to be done, my collection was lacking.
    Terrible terrible yolk :)

iE6QtZt.jpg

sWFruuP.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why?....

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Why?....

I already had a CDi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,221 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Scart port on the back of it so I guess they at least did something right. :D

• Advertisement

Kinda reminds me of those Cylon spaceships from Battlestar Galactica, the original one with Face from the A-Team in it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

another MSX Bee card added to the collection :)
    13466470_10154276702413276_6286703159436362069_n.jpg?oh=809d95c7003263231317548ac634b2f2&oe=57E3D329

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    First purchase in an age

Hope these little whippersnappers appreciate this little gem

Ah i have a shabby boxed version, great game, music sticks in my head, multiplayer fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

eddhorse wrote: »
    Ah i have a shabby boxed version, great game, music sticks in my head, multiplayer fun

I use to have a mint boxed copy, I'm settling for any auld cart now for as low as possible.

BGOllie wrote: »
    another MSX Bee card added to the collection :)
    13466470_10154276702413276_6286703159436362069_n.jpg?oh=809d95c7003263231317548ac634b2f2&oe=57E3D329

You just need to get your act together now and but a GX400 to match its controller you bought in the haul! :D

And just in the door, something to mess around with on the GX4000.

pCFOX4T.jpg

C6c5veE.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Happened to be in Dublin today, swung by The Rage and had a look.
    Picked up Fifa 97, Madden football, both for the MD, and Thunder blade for the Master System, and all for €2 each.
    Then I picked up Puchi Carat for the PS, which is compatible with my Namco Volume Controller.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Happened to be in Dublin today, swung by The Rage and had a look.
    Picked up Fifa 97, Madden football, both for the MD, and Thunder blade for the Master System, and all for €2 each.
    Then I picked up Puchi Carat for the PS, which is compatible with my Namco Volume Controller.

latest?cb=20130309190504

Got one of those bluetooth NES controller adapter thingies.
    Work well and no noticeable lag yet. Connects to 8bitdo controllers without issue.

uiIwNeq.jpg

sW3Pugu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got one of those bluetooth NES controller adapter thingies.
    Work well and no noticeable lag yet. Connects to 8bitdo controllers without issue.

Hoping they bring out a SNES version soon, my 8bitdo controller is in better nick than the proper controllers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement