Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Oi! White, black and grey with a dash of red - the original NES look is iconic. :cool:

I bet you'd put go faster stripes on a Ferrari eh. :p

Steve's Ferrari
    1b99e7084ccdf737d51b3521f961b600.jpg

Edit: I should really have said "Steve's other Ferrari"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Actually Steve - did it come with matching controllers or is it just the base unit itself? Does look very well done.

No, it's just the base unit. I might do a simple controller paint job myself, but in reality this isnt going to get played on much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Oi! White, black and grey with a dash of red - the original NES look is iconic. :cool:

I bet you'd put go faster stripes on a Ferrari eh. :p

Actually Steve - did it come with matching controllers or is it just the base unit itself? Does look very well done.

Iconic me hole. It's a big oversized rectangular box designed to look like a VCR ffs! :pac:

Hardly comparable to a Ferrari.

The Famicom is a truly brilliant design just a shame about the wine colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doge wrote: »
    Iconic me hole. It's a big rectangular box designed to look like a VCR ffs! :pac:

Ah it's a console many of us grew up looking at, iconic enough for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

In fact if that exact NES Steve bought was actually an official limited edition Nintendo product back in the Day, I can guarantee the collectors on here would pay silly money for it and praise how aesthetically pleasing it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the custom job is lovely Steve, and like Nu Ghostbusters, just because you don't appreciate the new version the old one hasn't been deprecated or depreciated at all, so we can still enjoy the glory of the grey and black brick regardless of the shiny paint finish on the NES of Steve's choosing.

Some bits in.

Few games and a mem card for the AES
    zcC2PX3.jpg

A Dreamcast.
    O4eIlwJ.jpg

Packing a little extra. VGA output onboard and a LINK83 bios chip.
    t5ByWaU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thread hijacker, should just get your own, i look forward to seeing all these on display?

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thread hijacker, should just get your own, i look forward to seeing all these on display?

Ah, I'll get bored soon enough and stop posting my daily retro gets. That's usually what happens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Ah, I'll get bored soon enough and stop posting my daily retro gets. That's usually what happens :)

And then sell them all to us for half the price?

Keep it up, well jealous of some of those

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    And then sell them all to us for half the price?

Keep it up, well jealous of some of those

I only sell off the unwanted seconds and thirds :):)
    I'd never let go of anything rare or tasty, I'd live on the streets with them and built a shack out of Darius Alpha cases and cards :D

Any time one finds oneself becoming jealous of Steve, just remember how many copies of Rise of the Robots he owns, and feel pity instead. ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any time one finds oneself becoming jealous of Steve, just remember how many copies of Rise of the Robots he owns, and feel pity instead. ;)

I also have the book/novel/abomination :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

In fact if that exact NES Steve bought was actually an official limited edition Nintendo product back in the Day, I can guarantee the collectors on here would pay silly money for it and praise how aesthetically pleasing it is.

It's glorious looking as is, official or not makes no odds. Just don't go insulting the original Nes, that's a paddling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,221 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always wanted to try and get one of these signed by Brian May for a laugh.

Have a friend who stalks famous people for autographs/plectrums and he actually met May before (managed to get a sixpence out of him!)

I might give him a copy of the game to have on standby just in case :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've asked Biran May about it before. He doesn't remember much or has blocked it from his memory.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hah, speak for yourself. :D

And I don't think anyone has said Steve's NES isn't nice looking? I just disagree with you saying the original NES looks dull & drab.

I think the original NES design is certainly a classic and iconic look. Personally, and leaving all sentimentality out of it, the NES is a bad design(the hardware itself, not the colours etc). They should have just used the Famicom design with a more Euro/US friendly colour scheme.

But anyway, I wouldn’t be without my own grey Nintendo box, this painted one is just for the looks and somewhat of a curio to sit on my shelf or a glass cabinet(if I ever find a decent sized one for less than 1k!).

Master of the Universe

I can see how some could see the NES as being dull and drab, it's a grey box :pac:

Such an iconic design though and amazing how far removed it is from the Famicom. You really could see how Nintendo were trying to get it to fit in with western home entertainment setups of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That cartridge mechanism can go die in a fire though.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That cartridge mechanism can go die in a fire though.

I'll bring the fire!

Master of the Universe

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I'll bring the fire!

I'll bring the die!

Master of the Universe

Not sure if anyone here is into watches, but just got my first mechanical!

A Laco Aachen. Great value for money. I've been after for a WW2 styled aviation watch so no better than a company who made the real things.

Has an automatic rotor which winds the watch from your natural movements, but you can manually wind it up too for about 40 hours of life.

The numbers on the dial use superluminova which make it look like it came out on a nuclear reactor at night :D

IMG_20160722_140505732_zps0jazvmqp.jpg

I think I might be developing the beginnings of a new hobby, already looking for my next one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Oh that's very nice indeed o1s1n! :cool:

I have two Seiko automatics, everything else is a G-shock bar my old Traser watch. I do a bit of lurking over on the Watches & Timepieces forum but it's dangerous for your wallet. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Their 'post here when you get something new' thread is mind boggling. The amounts of times someone posted a nice watch, I've thought 'oooh that's lovely, might pick one up' - only to google it and see it comes in around €10k :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

o1s1n wrote: »
    A Laco Aachen. Great value for money. I've been after for a WW2 styled aviation watch so no better than a company who made the real things.

That's a thing of beauty and simplicity. Turns out I've got very expensive taste in watches, have a few on Pinterest, and my favourite ones, when I went to look to see how much they were ranged from $35,000 to $300,000...

:eek:

Needless to say, won't be getting those!!!

Not sure if anyone here is into watches, but just got my first mechanical!

Has an automatic rotor which winds the watch from your natural movements, but you can manually wind it up too for about 40 hours of life.

The numbers on the dial use superluminova which make it look like it came out on a nuclear reactor at night :D

IMG_20160722_140505732_zps0jazvmqp.jpg

I think I might be developing the beginnings of a new hobby, already looking for my next one.

Needs more wifi and bluetooth :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Six months later, after flogging the cabs and jamma board collection.:)

watch20150304141836.png

I simply love my Pebble Classic
    I have a Pebble Time 2 on the way from the recent Kickstarter, should have it in November.
    Brilliant watches.

A mechanical might be nice though, plenty of tidy Seikos and Citizens out there.

• Advertisement

I simply love my Pebble Classic
    I have a Pebble Time 2 on the way from the recent Kickstarter, should have it in November.
    Brilliant watches.

A mechanical might be nice though, plenty of tidy Seikos and Citizens out there.

I've gone to the dark side, moved away from my Pebble watches and now only use Apple Watch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement