Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A user on the Games forum said then I should also have it for the Vita as it's a cross-buy and, sure enough, before I left the house I checked and there it was, on my download list on my Vita.
    Running out the door for work, no wifi there, so the phone did the wifi duties via a hotspot and now Duke 3D is happily living on my Vita, probably a better fit than the PS3 anyway
    Love when that happens! It's always a great surprise that you can run something on Vita instead, I know I had that with another game but I can't actually remember which. Like that I got it for PS3 and was so surprised I could play it on Vita tok and it was much better suited. It might have been Breath of Fire IV or something, I'll look at it later and jog my memory lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

I love cart based games.
    And I'll tell you why.
    I bought GT6 for the PS3 today.
    I'm still wait for it to finish installing updates!
    Madness!
    I also made the mistake of popping Fable II into the XB1, to see if it was supported for Cidonalad to play, it is, which means another few hours of installing before it's ready!
    Luckily I can pop a cart into my Megadrive and off it goes!

GT5 and GT6 were pretty poor imo, engines sounded like leaf blowers, lots of clones of the same model card just so they can brag about the amount of cars in the game.

The Forza series was really leaving GT behind in its dustrails at that time.

You should be focussing your efforts on the newly released Assetto Corsa for PS4, the most realistic and detailed racing sim to date.

The only problem is that it will make you want to buy a Racing wheel for it, like the Logitech G29 at minimum. ;)

The physics and force feedback put Project Cars to shame.

They have focussed on quality over quantity too, investing lots of time in getting the laser scanned tracks right and the handling of each individual car.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You might need to know
    The pinnacle in racing games, for me at least, was MSR on the Dreamcast, followed by Split Second on my 360 and Mario Kart 8.
    I pretty much doze off when playing track day sims, like GT, PC or Forza, and that is going to happen with this one too!
    Rollcage II and Wipeout 2097 are up there as well btw, so needing to adjust tyre pressures and cambers isn't really my bag, baby!

You might need to know
    The pinnacle in racing games, for me at least, was MSR on the Dreamcast, followed by Split Second on my 360 and Mario Kart 8.
    I pretty much doze off when playing track day sims, like GT, PC or Forza, and that is going to happen with this one too!
    Rollcage II and Wipeout 2097 are up there as well btw, so needing to adjust tyre pressures and cambers isn't really my bag, baby!

I never bother changing setups either, but if you ever get to play assetto corsa with a proper force feedback racing wheel it may change how you feel about racing sims! Can be really fun and immersive, a controller doesnt do them justice.

Then again maybe you would just prefer cosy arcade racers from the comfort of your couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doge wrote: »
    Then again maybe you would just prefer cosy arcade racers from the comfort of your couch.

There's room for both in this world. One day drifting around a left hander by holding right in Outrum 2006, and another, absolutely nailing a lap time in a Ferrari 456 around Silverstone :)

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    There's room for both in this world. One day drifting around a left hander by holding right in Outrum 2006, and another, absolutely nailing a lap time in a Ferrari 456 around Silverstone :)

Ah yeah there is indeed, im a lover of both, motorstorm being a favourite arcade racer of mine.

My comment wasnt putting down arcade racers if it appeared that way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Or you could do both, on the PS2, with Daytona Coast 2 Coast and F355 Challenge

My comment wasnt putting down arcade racers if it appeared that way.

Ah not at all, like you though, I need an element of seriousness in my racing games sometimes, to balance out the insanity of arcade racers :D For the record, Forza > Gran Turismo

Ah not at all, like you though, I need an element of seriousness in my racing games sometimes, to balance out the insanity of arcade racers :D For the record, Forza > Gran Turismo

Agreed coming from a Sony fanboy, and I cant see the upcoming Gran Turismo being any better than Forza offerings with its huge focus on car photography!

What Sims do you play Myrddin?

What Sims do you play Myrddin?

I'm hoping to get into something proper next year when the new pc is up & running, Asetto maybe...space for a proper wheel setup though is a major factor for me. Currently, I enjoy any of the Forza games whenever I'm in the mood. Absolutely loved Forza 4, & more or less played through the whole thing. Same with Horizon, I haven't played Horizon 2 yet to my shame! You?

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to get into something proper next year when the new pc is up & running, Asetto maybe...space for a proper wheel setup though is a major factor for me. Currently, I enjoy any of the Forza games whenever I'm in the mood. Absolutely loved Forza 4, & more or less played through the whole thing. Same with Horizon, I haven't played Horizon 2 yet to my shame! You?

I think you will adore Assetto Corsa!

Im still on a core2quad with 4gb of RAM so i struggle to run most modern sims but i guess, Assetto, Dirt Rally, Euro And American Truck Simulator are some of the SIMs I have run in the last year on that archaic system.
    On the PS3 then its IL-2 Sturmovnik, and of course Super EF2000 lately with a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS, proper retro. :)

I too am waiting patiently to upgrade my PC setup, I think I may even hold out til "VR 2.0" hits, that should iron out any issues in the first generation of VR headsets and increase the Resolution.
    If the PSVR gets hacked for PC though that will be pretty tempting too, if its not tempting enough already.
    hmmm....

Also some hype for you :p...

I think you will adore Assetto Corsa!

Im still on a core2quad with 4gb of RAM so i struggle to run most modern sims but i guess, Assetto, Dirt Rally, Euro And American Truck Simulator are some of the SIMs I have run in the last year on that archaic system.
    On the PS3 then its IL-2 Sturmovnik, and of course Super EF2000 lately with a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS, proper retro. :)

Yeah I'll be moving from a Core2Quad with 4GB DDR2, to an i5 6600K, 16GB DDR4, and likely a GTX1080...so really looking to sink my teeth into a proper sim experience. Dirt Rally looks very interesting, might get that around Xmas if it pops up in a steam sale. I enjoyed one of the IL2 games YEARS ago, when I had a nice Saitek setup to control it with.

Also some hype for you :p...

Not even watching it...I've everything barring the GPU already bought so am committed to the PC route now...:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nothing retro but some cheap pickups from Gamestop of all places. Don't really play either of these machines that much lately but couldn't say no at those prices. They also had a GameCube controller for the Wii-U for €15 for use with Smash Bros, not sure if that's a good price or not. Got GTA V on PS4 for Argos seeing as it was on sale, almost did the same with Animal Crossing New Leaf but will wait to see if it appears on the Selects range over here too.

nATwswY.jpg

I've just realised I've a Logitech GT force feedback wheel in the gamesroom I have hardly used, only with the occasional PS2 game, I forgot I could use it with racing games on the PS3, and I hear they also work with some PS4 racers as well!
    Some experimentation to be done!

I've just realised I've a Logitech GT force feedback wheel in the gamesroom I have hardly used, only with the occasional PS2 game, I forgot I could use it with racing games on the PS3, and I hear they also work with some PS4 racers as well!
    Some experimentation to be done!

You need a raspberry pi and leonardo arduino clone and some electronics to get them to work with the PS4.

Its all a bit messy really. The software is called GIMX.

I made my own auotmated Raspbian image you could use which automaticallly loads the software at start up, you would just need to change the profile to the Driving Force GT.

I have a thread in the Sim Racing forum for it, i used to use it with my Logitech G27 befofe I managed to get a G29 for about £100 in a flash sale from currys uk.

Heres the thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99271850

If you get it working go away and get assetto Corsa and even i would buy it despite having the PC version already and we could race.

Awesome! I got a shout out in this youtube video posted on the GIMX forums, i havent logged on there in months since getting the G29, its my old boards username Waveform too!

http://gimx.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1435

I think i might re subscribe to boards and change back to that username instead od using the silly Doge name.

We love Doge, never change!
    Isn't that right EnterNow!

If you need any help setting up gimx in the future give me a shout. Saves you buying a pricey new wheel. I presume you have a table of some sort to clamp it to?

So much easier to spell too. Always put two r's instead of two d's when typing Myrddin. Might just use Merlin instead. :P

Star Lord - now that was a good change. Can't remember what it was beforehand now either. :cool:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    So much easier to spell too. Always put two r's instead of two d's when typing Myrddin. Might just use Merlin instead. :P

Go for it, seems fitting :D...

"Myrddin Wyllt (Welsh: [ˈmərðɪn ˈwɨɬt]—"Myrddin the Wild") is a figure in medieval Welsh legend. A prophet and a madman, he was introduced into Arthurian legend by Geoffrey of Monmouth as Merlin the wizard, associated with the town of Carmarthen in South Wales." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrddin_Wyllt
    Star Lord - now that was a good change. Can't remember what it was beforehand now either. :cool:

Something to do with a Lamborghini Diablo I think...

• Advertisement

So much easier to spell too. Always put two r's instead of two d's when typing Myrddin. Might just use Merlin instead. :p
    I always say it in my mind as like Viridian (Myridian), I think I gave up and said "close enough"
    It was like Daminion ... or something I think.
    10 points for trying? :pac:

Go for it, seems fitting :D...

"Myrddin Wyllt (Welsh: [ˈmərðɪn ˈwɨɬt]—"Myrddin the Wild") is a figure in medieval Welsh legend. A prophet and a madman, he was introduced into Arthurian legend by Geoffrey of Monmouth as Merlin the wizard, associated with the town of Carmarthen in South Wales." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrddin_Wyllt

Much easier to pronounce too, less risk of choking. :pac:

Yeah Damon el Diablo or something sprung to mind. Star Lord much better.

I always say it in my mind as like Viridian (Myridian), I think I gave up and said "close enough"

Remember the old Russian space station Mir (sounds like Meer)? Just say that, and add 'din' at the end. You need to catch up on your Stargate SG-1 :D

I have been, and always will be the Duckman Ciderman (sorry, little Pretty in Pink flashback there)

Remember the old Russian space station Mir (sounds like Meer)?
    Meer is come here in Limerick speak, so I'll call you just Meer instead :)

A new buddy came today, I ordered this plush awhile ago because I still haven't gotten Clefairy in PoGo, so soft (*˘︶˘*).
    I put the glasses on because I was talking about Clefairy says on FB lately.
    Still 2 treats on the way.
    aBU8abB.gif
    I think it's why I love huge glasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It was like Daminion ... or something I think.
    10 points for trying? :pac:
    Yeah Damon el Diablo or something sprung to mind. Star Lord much better.

closeenough.png?1317606898
    s-l225.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

There should be an ongoing sticky name change thread ! Its confusing and unnecessary !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,221 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

First names with letter/number substitutes. That's what it's all about. You can go to a beers without people referring to you as something that sounds like a Top Gun handle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    First names with letter/number substitutes. That's what it's all about. You can go to a beers without people referring to you as something that sounds like a Top Gun handle.

Go back to playing Counterstrike you 1337 speak loser.

Glances over at username.... oh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement