Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose it's a bit if a warning to inexperienced sellers and new to retro buyers, your choice of TV for testing can make you believe a console, or game, is borked.
    Be sure to give it a run out on an alternate set, preferably the type of TV it was made for.
    This XE computer was outputting some games as B&W on his flat screen panel, but once hooked up to my CRT everything was in colour.
    Same with my Atari Super Pong machine, it worked on none of my displays, flat screen or CRT, bar one which had weird interference. Only when I got a proper old school B&W telly did it work perfectly. Had I sold it at that point it would have gone as a broken machine and I would have had to discount it, but really there was nothing wrong with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

veeeery nice . market or private sale ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BGOllie wrote: »
    veeeery nice . market or private sale ?

Dude on Adverts.
    He thought it was ropey, I was honest and made suggestions as to what the issue was around the colour but he sold it for €50, then discounted by €10 for my time and fuel.
    It's a console/computer I never knew I wanted, but having it and seeing the original 400/800 carts, it brought back memories of my first experience of videogames outside of dedicated Pong clone consoles in the 70's.
    My mate had an Atari 400 and it was a revelation, fuelling wanting a computer of my own, and got a Spectrum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Boards on my phone is being a pain, it's set to Beta and can't figure out how to change it.

Anyway -
    Shounen Ashibe arrived! I was so excited over the new series I bought the SNES game boxed, it's really cute and colourful box and manual. (attached)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Boards on my phone is being a pain, it's set to Beta and can't figure out how to change it.

tumblr_n04m10sKZX1tqs1heo1_400.gif

• Advertisement

tumblr_n04m10sKZX1tqs1heo1_400.gif
    I asked on Twitter, it's back to normal touch boards thankfully :). I couldn't attach anything, switching tabs made replies mid writing made them disappear. Argh!
    Just had to click Legacy Mode on the bottom
    the-more-you-know1.jpg
    It just happened after I couldn't log in for the day

Two extra photos of my Goma chan plush with my Shounen Ashibe game.

Not retro but ordered the Pokemon Go Plus device for Cidonalad for that certain holiday approaching in December that a user with a frog fetish won't let me name.
    He is a fan of the title but hasn't been able to play it up until now as he only now has a data bundle on his phone.
    I reckon this could be the hot gift of the season, so I'm hoping Nintendo won't mind shipping to me via Parcel Motel, though I believe this has been an issue before.
    Still that's his few bits bought now, Fire Emblem x2, Ipad mini and now Pokemon Go Plus.... lucky git, all we got was a tangerine in a sock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not retro but ordered the Pokemon Go Plus device for Cidonalad for that certain holiday approaching in December that a user with a frog fetish won't let me name.
    He is a fan of the title but hasn't been able to play it up until now as he only now has a data bundle on his phone.
    I reckon this could be the hot gift of the season, so I'm hoping Nintendo won't mind shipping to me via Parcel Motel, though I believe this has been an issue before.
    Still that's his few bits bought now, Fire Emblem x2, Ipad mini and now Pokemon Go Plus.... lucky git, all we got was a tangerine in a sock...

The last 2 orders I had from Nintendo to Parcel Motel got cancelled, so I tried using AddressPal and the last 2 have arrived fine, and very quickly actually. Just a heads up anyway, it seems to be hit and miss but mostly miss for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I've had stuff from Ninty sent to Parcel Motel and it's been fine, they seem to be a lottery on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

14322571_10210969266490428_4474679659623761983_n.jpg?oh=2cf5426d5bd64902dbd3f62d5fcd6968&oe=5837FC8A

Not a get... but chilling listening to my Data Discs records last night for a few hours was bliss.

For a moment there, I thought you were listening to data disks, and hearing them hiss...
    What can I say, I heard a lot of ZX Spectrum tapes loading as a child.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    For a moment there, I thought you were listening to data disks, and hearing them hiss...
    What can I say, I heard a lot of ZX Spectrum tapes loading as a child.

I'm sure it's therapeutic for some :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

MrVestek wrote: »
    14322571_10210969266490428_4474679659623761983_n.jpg?oh=2cf5426d5bd64902dbd3f62d5fcd6968&oe=5837FC8A

Not a get... but chilling listening to my Data Discs records last night for a few hours was bliss.

There was some issues with that picture that made it incompatible with the forum and most modern browsers, i fixed it there.

:)

Zh9Ni8q.jpg

Steve X2 wrote: »
    There was some issues with that picture that made it incompatible with the forum and most modern browsers, i fixed it there.

:)

Zh9Ni8q.jpg

Cheers for that :P

Vestek travelled back in time but ended up snogging his mum by accident...
    Erased from history.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,221 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Better organise an Enchantment Under the Sea Dance before it's too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

GT3N1a.gif

o1s1n wrote: »
    Better organise an Enchantment Under the Sea Dance before it's too late!

erased-from-existence-o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Picked up a Commodore 64 over the weekend. (My old one was missing when I went to look for it at my parents house recently.)

Nice condition and no yellowing.

hwFKQEgl.jpg

Comes with this Ultimate Killer module which acts as a floppy disk drive emulator. Works really well except the text is SO small.

fM27nSWl.jpg

It's really good for multi disk games as you can just mount the disks as you please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice pick up Dino - Adverts or somewhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yep. It was up on adverts for some time. Was down in Limerick over the weekend and was able to pick it up.

Must look into finding a tape drive now because this will only run disk based roms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yep. It was up on adverts for some time. Was down in Limerick over the weekend and was able to pick it up.

Must look into finding a tape drive now because this will only run disk based roms.

I'm no expert but I'd say you can convert tape roms to disk roms pretty handily? Worth looking into.

Pretty sure you can also use a MP3 player to play back audio files through a connector to load tapes. That's if you can take the 20 minute load times.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Picked up a Commodore 64 over the weekend.
    Comes with this Ultimate Killer module which acts as a floppy disk drive emulator. Works really well except the text is SO small.
    I was raging I missed the C64 party, rekt after the board games.
    How long does it take to load I was wondering if it's any faster because of the drive?
    Find any spoopy games yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm no expert but I'd say you can convert tape roms to disk roms pretty handily? Worth looking into.

Pretty sure you can also use a MP3 player to play back audio files through a connector to load tapes. That's if you can take the 20 minute load times.

Sadly it's a no on easily converting tap files to D64 files afaik.

You can indeed use an mp3 player with a cassette port to audio adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

Find any spoopy games yet?

Jack The Ripper and Friday the 13th are pretty 3 Spoopy 5 me.

The former is a text based adventure / horror game.

Here's some more spoopy ones:

http://pdxcug.org/Scary-Halloween-Games-on-Commodore-64-October.asp

AGS 101 screen in original GBA, real glass screen lens and some soldering kung foo to increase the brightness a bit.
    Arrived today after a long trip from the US.

LA0OkM0.jpg

I've finally got the proper device to stick my Everdrive X5 in :)

wolT0To.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

AGS 101 screen in original GBA, real glass screen lens and some soldering kung foo to increase the brightness a bit.
    Arrived today after a long trip from the US.

LA0OkM0.jpg

Where did you get this? :eek:

I always regret getting rid of the AGS 101 SP I got thanks to help from this forum :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've finally got the proper device to stick my Everdrive X5 in :)

Are you now going to change your name to Steve X5? :pac:

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    Where did you get this? :eek:

I always regret getting rid of the AGS 101 SP I got thanks to help from this forum :(

Got it from a seller on eBay called schwenj (he's based in California, so post takes a while). Was pricey for what it is, especially with the import charges you pay on eBay for stuff from the US (listed below).

Still, worth it in my mind :)

Subtotal:
    US $184.00
    Postage & packaging:
    US $15.78
    Import charges:
    US $46.70

Total:
    US $246.48

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement