Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Got it from a seller on eBay called schwenj (he's based in California, so post takes a while). Was pricey for what it is, especially with the import charges you pay on eBay for stuff from the US (listed below).

Still, worth it in my mind :)

Subtotal:
    US $184.00
    Postage & packaging:
    US $15.78
    Import charges:
    US $46.70

Total:
    US $246.48

Will give it a look now, because it looks to be fantastic.

God that orange one he has looks fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Got it from a seller on eBay called schwenj (he's based in California, so post takes a while). Was pricey for what it is, especially with the import charges you pay on eBay for stuff from the US (listed below).

Still, worth it in my mind :)

Subtotal:
    US $184.00
    Postage & packaging:
    US $15.78
    Import charges:
    US $46.70

Total:
    US $246.48

One of those and an Everdrive would surely set a Nintendo fan with a Christmas present :)

The one you have is beautiful looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

One of those and an Everdrive would surely set a Nintendo fan with a Christmas present :)

The one you have is beautiful looking

Yeah, and once you drop the PocketNES and Goomba emulators in the main sys folder you can run NES/Famicom, Gameboy and Gameboy Color roms straight from the Everdrive, no need to load the emulators separately. So a pretty sweet nintendo setup for on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah, and once you drop the PocketNES and Goomba emulators in the main sys folder you can run NES/Famicom, Gameboy and Gameboy Color roms straight from the Everdrive, no need to load the emulators separately. So a pretty sweet nintendo setup for on the go.

I'm gonna need two I think...

Strongly considering tearing up my own AGS 101 and trying the mod myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I was raging I missed the C64 party, rekt after the board games.
    How long does it take to load I was wondering if it's any faster because of the drive?
    Find any spoopy games yet?
    Oh tried running it that night but couldn't get it working. Luckily I got it working in a dream that night and was able to apply what I learned the next morning to get the real thing up and running.

Doesn't load any faster than a regular floppy drive as it's actually a cycle perfect emulation. But floppy disks on the C64 load reasonably fast enough. Usually around 30-60 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'm gonna need two I think...

Strongly considering tearing up my own AGS 101 and trying the mod myself.

Saw a video on YouTube of this mod. He used a ribbon cable adapter to connect the SP screen to the GBA. Fiddly soldering to be done, but looked handy enough

Sorry for the pic heavy post, but thought some peeps here would like to see the new AVS that was released a little while ago.

Works perfectly with Everdrives as well as the 8bitDO retro receiver and all their wireless pads (and any bluetooth pad inc new Xbox One S controller).

It's hooked up to my 4K TV at the moment and is quite decent, the 720p scales very well. It has a good few options to tweak the scanlines and display and would suit most people.
    It's not really aimed at users like us who have real hardware, but it's a nice thing and I'm glad I got it (despite the 45 euro I had to hand over to the postman to get it).

Edit:
    Also, it can get its power from a USB port on the TV so no need to plug in to a socket. Most TV's in the last few years have a USB port of some sort on them.

3531TOt.jpg95NiASj.jpg

jduRH4h.jpgn5CIRxF.jpg

xUce4lF.jpgtndFKpo.jpg

UbkQHkk.jpgLTUXQxG.jpg

e7UXJ5x.jpg

VnNEF0q.jpghQpFicK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

I managed to hit up all of the book-off stores in Northern Tokyo this evening and this is the lot from my first day game chasing.

W7txg5M.jpg

I also picked up 3 common super famicom games in super potato in Ikebukuro however I wasn't really impressed with the place. Prices very similar to ebay on most things and I nearly killed myself trying to browse in their tiny and I mean tiny store.

One thing that did catch my eye and I may still go back for is a boxed Hanshin Tigers Gamecube.

Hopefully going to hit some of the further afield Hard off stores in the coming days.

I should add for anyone interested that the total lot in the pic above came to 13900 yen or about 123 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Parawind wrote: »
    I managed to hit up all of the book-off stores in Northern Tokyo this evening and this is the lot from my first day game chasing.
    Nice! I got Clocktower as well lately :)

This is what got me hit with 47 euro customs this morning.
    A new custom scart switch and one of my older ones back from repair.

ZuUCE0k.jpg
    dOIo5JU.jpg

The one on the left is the newer v3.4 switch and the one on the right is an older v3.0.
    These things are very nice indeed, the Rolls-Royce of scart switches in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭geotrig

the Rolls-Royce of scart switches in my opinion.

and customs opinion as well lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

A new custom scart switch and one of my older ones back from repair.

ZuUCE0k.jpg
    dOIo5JU.jpg

The one on the left is the newer v3.4 switch and the one on the right is an older v3.0.
    These things are very nice indeed, the Rolls-Royce of scart switches in my opinion.

I've one of these on the way too. Best remind him to write gift on the packaging :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A few new games for the Atari 65XE,
    Food Fight, Desert Falcon and Flight Simulator II, for €16 including postage, from an Adverts seller.
    Pretty pleased, and they came in a golden envelope... just to increase the sense of wonder and amazement at the contents!
    MTdUNpWm.jpg

Day 2 gets

A lot of commons for 100 yen a pop that I found in my first hard off. It was a bloody long trip and they only had a soso selection.

But later that day I went to nakano Broadway searching for some babymetal merch and found a small game store on the 4th floor. I managed to pick up Seaman and Panzer Dragoon for 15 euro each which I was quite pleased with.

L4h92tE.jpg

Day 3 gets

Hit Akihabira today for the first time. Heading back for more tommorrow, think I will have to make a few runs to get some of the larger items I want.

And why yes that is a gamecube lan adapter, which makes me 50% closer to the 8 player double dash that I have always dreamed of.

hvyiMuN.jpg

IY9YbIS.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Parawind wrote: »
    Day 3 gets

Hit Akihabira today for the first time. Heading back for more tommorrow, think I will have to make a few runs to get some of the larger items I want.

And why yes that is a gamecube lan adapter, which makes me 50% closer to the 8 player double dash that I have always dreamed of.

hvyiMuN.jpg

IY9YbIS.jpg

You can bring it to my house and, with everyone elses, we can have 12 player Double Dash!!! Just need another projector! And a longer house!!!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You can bring it to my house and, with everyone elses, we can have 12 player Double Dash!!! Just need another projector! And a longer house!!!

Doesn't sound like we are aiming high enough 16 player is where it's at. Still going to try source another lan adapter if I can.

I've got Kirby's Air Ride as well, but I think I'm the only regular with a copy hereabouts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm so jelly of the orange Gamecube Parawind </3, hope you're having a great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Same with my Atari Super Pong machine, it worked on none of my displays, flat screen or CRT, bar one which had weird interference. Only when I got a proper old school B&W telly did it work perfectly.
    Was that the one displaying the rainbow colours? I quite liked that!!!

Are you now going to change your name to Steve X5? :pac:

Maybe Steve €2
    Steve €2 wrote: »
    wolT0To.jpg

• Advertisement

Star Lord wrote: »

Maybe Steve €2

Thats all I do have left after my monthly retro shopping :)

I'm so jelly of the orange Gamecube Parawind </3, hope you're having a great time.

Having the trip of a lifetime, cheers.

And if the orange GC makes you jelly then look away now.

One of my dream gets, a CIB Hanshin Tigers GC. A bit sun damaged but with a little love can be restored to its former glory.

Also finished off my original xbox collection with my most expensive purchase for the system.

SraQWAh.jpg

qZTCND5.jpg

And one more for good messure.

Had to rebuy pilotwings as my pal copy went missing :(

But picked up a few nice ones, Panzer dragoon 2, Castlevania:SOTN and Joe and Mac 3. I didn't even realise that a sequel to coolspot existed. I am sure it's terrible but I have such fond memories of the original I simply had to get it.

SjXCBWY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,221 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cool Spot goes to Hollywood had a Saturn port? First I've seen of that. Just looked it up and apparently it had a PS1 release too.

I thought that was a Megadrive exclusive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Came out when there was quite an overlap with the 32-bit consoles in 1995.

I remember some truly awful games trying to cash in on the new wave of platformers featuring prerendered visuals.
    Johnny Bazookatone on the Saturn and PS was one... jaysus... such sh1te....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Donkey Kong Country has a lot to answer for.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Donkey Kong Country has a lot to answer for.

.... Vectorman.... and it got a sequel... Vectorerman... no, not really, Vectorman 2.
    I mean, you didn't need prerendered visuals to show off the MD, you already had Virtua Racing, Comix Zone, Thunderforce IV and the likes of Street Racer and Red Zone, doing mode 7 scaling and other tricks and all through software.

I'd say Mega Turrican is the most advanced Megadrive game. Full sprite scaling and rotation (something the snes can't do, it can only scale and rotate a background layer and definitely something the megadrive should not be doing), transparencies and other fancy effects. RIP Factor 5 and screw Sony/Lair/Dualshock 3 for killing them.

Just read up about it. Sprite scaling and rotation is too processor intensive for the megadrive (see the end of Super Fantasy Zone and Thunderforce 3 which use true sprite scaling and the game slows to less than 5 FPS).

So what they did was carry out the rotation before the level loads and save each rotation into ram as an animation and play it back. Very clever I have to say.#

Apparently this was used a lot in the amiga demo scene, where most of Factor 5 came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

.... Vectorman.... and it got a sequel... Vectorerman...

Heh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement