Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

sugarman wrote: »
    Too soon for me, another year or 2 and they'll really be going for peanuts trying to clear them our for good everywhere.

I often wonder when CEX will get rid of ps2 games for good, I remember when they got rid of ps1 games for pittance in the UK prob about 10 years ago.

I got 4 for €10 :) Have a pretty small collection of 360 stuff so just picking up hidden gems, top 20 lists kinda stuff so ya some of them would be very old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,219 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't know what happened with my 3DS collecting. Was buying like mad for years and it just completely dropped off after Majoras Mask and Xenoblade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    I don't know what happened with my 3DS collecting. Was buying like mad for years and it just completely dropped off after Majoras Mask and Xenoblade.

Last year was a disaster for the system. There wasn't all that much of worth on it.

I'd say the system is into it's last 18 months now and it's when the future rarities and really good stuff come to the system. There's been a heap of excellent games this year for it that are worth picking up. Same with the Vita although a lot of those are digital only. Still need to get them in case they get delisted, I've missed a few PS3 and 360 games because of this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, I just got Rhythm Paradise Megamix in GS for €29.99, followed by Dark Souls 2 on PS4 for €18.99 in Argos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I've really neglected my GC, Dreamcast and Saturn collects, atm it's all Wii U and Vita.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Last year was a disaster for the system. There wasn't all that much of worth on it.

I'd say the system is into it's last 18 months now and it's when the future rarities and really good stuff come to the system. There's been a heap of excellent games this year for it that are worth picking up. Same with the Vita although a lot of those are digital only. Still need to get them in case they get delisted, I've missed a few PS3 and 360 games because of this.

Senran Kagura and Gal*Gun aren't going to buy themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Framemeister on a curved tv if I was to guess. Could be totally wrong though. Looks great regardless.

Good guess :) The trinitron is storage. The JS series samsungs from last year had the lowest latency panels. It's one of those with the curved screen (55JS9000) model with the old rgb modded USA N64 going through the arcade forge sync strike & SLG purchased a years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I've really neglected my GC, Dreamcast and Saturn collects, atm it's all Wii U and Vita.

Many of the wiiu (and 3ds) releases were very hard to get even if you were following them. Recent limited edition versions of Toyko Mirage Sessions FE and Fire Emblem I don't think even made it to an Irish store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Forgot that I had even ordered this. Took just under a month to get here which is unusual as Japanese post so far has been pretty speedy for me.

eya6n3Jl.png

0I0fc9xl.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Few bits that arrived on Friday.

Test PS2 slim.
    luSh0MN.jpg

Strikers 1945 II
    2d7202D.jpg

Darius Gaiden
    MTe9CQ8.jpg

• Advertisement

Well, did you test the TEST?
    I love mine, region free gaming out of the box, perfect for PS2 and PS1 imports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I love mine, region free gaming out of the box, perfect for PS2 and PS1 imports.

Is it able to play erm...

...aherm... unlicensed copies of games?

Master of the Universe

Gotta love that sexy Test logo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Not had a chance to test it at all yet as I was away retro shopping the last few days. But should remedy that later tonight and give it a spin :)
    MrVestek wrote: »
    Is it able to play erm...

...aherm... unlicensed copies of games?

Some can, some cant. Not sure on this one yet.

They don't afaik.
    Now, you can install a HDD in the large ones and go to the trouble of getting dumps on there but, who can be bothered, particularly when FreeMcBoot does it anyway on a standard PS2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

They don't afaik.
    Now, you can install a HDD in the large ones and go to the trouble of getting dumps on there but, who can be bothered, particularly when FreeMcBoot does it anyway on a standard PS2.

For my larger PS2 TEST console, to play non-legit games (homebrew of course) you would need to patch the disc image before burning it...but, you would be mad to burn anything when once you had a HDD setup with it you would just drop the disc image on there and BLAM! it would just work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Yep not to mention stressing out the old laser with CD-Rs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yomawari arrived today! I didn't think I'd get it do fast, raging I missed the other pre-order with goodies but just so glad it even got released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Got a copy of paper Mario on the cube tonight for €30, not too bad. Never played it before, so looking forward to it.
    Have picked up super castlevania, secret of mana, bomberman 1+2 and turtles tournament fighter off adverts over the summer as well for fair prices. All carts only as I'm not bothering with boxes this time around, that way lies madness.
    Stupidly have gone the pal route though as I only have a pal Snes. Really regret selling my US Snes and the games for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Got a copy of paper Mario on the cube tonight for €30, not too bad. Never played it before, so looking forward to it.
    Have picked up super castlevania, secret of mana, bomberman 1+2 and turtles tournament fighter off adverts over the summer as well for fair prices. All carts only as I'm not bothering with boxes this time around, that way lies madness.
    Stupidly have gone the pal route though as I only have a pal Snes. Really regret selling my US Snes and the games for that.

Just mod it. 50 Hz is poison and the PAL SNES looks better anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just mod it. 50 Hz is poison and the PAL SNES looks better anyway.

It's my younger brothers, so it's only a temporary fix. Hoping to pick up another one at some stage. Heck this one doesn't even have an offical snes power adapter.
    I'm using some sort of plug off a v-tech yoke from the 90s.

Maybe it's just me but if I only had the choice to play 50Hz I wouldn't bother and wait until I could play in 60 Hz. It just feels all wrong and the music having the wrong tempo annoys me.

I suppose you could play a game like Super Mario World or DKC that's been optimised for 50Hz but the aspect ratio would then annoy me!

If there was a choice between playing it at 60Hz or not playing Super Mario World at all?
    No choice, I'd just play it.
    The game is sublime regardless of refresh rate, but it is undeniably better in it's original NTSC, fullscreen and at 60Hz.
    But gaming life without Super Mario World in it at all, even if PAL, is not a gaming life at all.

Super Mario World represents everything that Nintendo to better than anyone else, and the game is still as essential to play as it was on release.
    It is beyond sad, perhaps even tragic, that there are legions of people, men and women who play videogames and have done for years, but who have never played Nintendo and never played Super Mario World, never got invested in it's many exits, it's tricks and traps.

First world problems, this isn't Mosul or Aleppo we are talking about, but in the scene of videogaming excellence, with people who imagine themselves to be "pro gamers", which apparently is anyone who has played CoD or Battlefield at 4am, they have never played Nintendo, played Super Mario World and would denigrate you if you tried to convince them.

Would you watch a film slightly slowed down and with the incorrect aspect ratio or wait until you do something relatively simple and watch it how it was meant to be played.

That's basically how I see it except for games it's even more of an issue as 50Hz really does make a massive difference to how a game plays. At least for Super Mario World they made an attempt to fix the speed for the PAL release, and while it's not perfect (only pedantics would really notice) at least it plays properly so in that case 50 Hz super Mario world is fine!

Weird thing is Nintendo always made an effort with the first Mario game on a console. Super Mario Bros and Mario 64 have been sped up to match their NTSC versions in PAL territories and for Mario 64 they even gave it a bit more vertical resolution. After that they just said **** it like everyone else.

Master of the Universe

I didn't realise Super Mario World was PAL optimised. So you're telling me ive been playing it 17.5% faster in 60hz all this time on my Super Famicom?

That's hilarious :D

I didn't realise Super Mario World was PAL optimised. So you're telling me ive been playing it 17.5% faster in 60hz all this time on my Super Famicom?

That's hilarious :D

It's weirder than that, there's different PAL versions with different optimisations. The All stars version glitches like crazy in 60Hz like the rest of the games on that collection.

It might not be speed optimised though, you'd definitely notice the music being awful if it was speed optimised. It's a weird one. I remember my PAL Super Mario Bros on a NTSC NES felt awful and the music was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Would you watch a film slightly slowed down and with the incorrect aspect ratio or wait until you do something relatively simple and watch it how it was meant to be played.

c'mon you're comparing apples and pears here :)

I would venture that Ciderman, like myself, being from a generation that wasn't even aware (at least not until well late into the 16bit era at which stage we clocked quite a number of games already ) that there was such a thing as 50/60hz , it's not a primary concern to us.

Nowadays, if I can play sth new at 60 I do it but 50hz really doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I re-play most of my master system games at 50 and somehow I don't get the same nostalgia if I play them at 60 . You may find this odd, but for me the nostalgia factor overrides technical accuracy. Same with ps1 and 2 ... it doesn't even bother me on MSX games :)

On the other hand, I like to play the NES or snes at 60 since I didn't have them back then. Most of it is pure discovery and I like that to be as close to the intended experience as possible.

That's basically how I see it except for games it's even more of an issue as 50Hz really does make a massive difference to how a game plays. At least for Super Mario World they made an attempt to fix the speed for the PAL release, and while it's not perfect (only pedantics would really notice) at least it plays properly so in that case 50 Hz super Mario world is fine!

Weird thing is Nintendo always made an effort with the first Mario game on a console. Super Mario Bros and Mario 64 have been sped up to match their NTSC versions in PAL territories and for Mario 64 they even gave it a bit more vertical resolution. After that they just said **** it like everyone else.

I completely agree that any console is better at full speed, 60Hz, full screen and via RGB.
    But, I played all of those classics on my Megadrive, Snes, N64 and others via composite, sometimes even RF back in the day.
    And, you know what, I had a great time.
    I used to read how lousy the conversion of Sonic and Waverace 64 were, with massive losses in speed, music sounding more funereal than funky and waves that crashed like caramel rather than water.
    But, again, it didn't matter, I had a great time at the time.

I couldn't go back though, not now, not when the veil has been lifted and I've played them they way they should be played, but I recall a 20 something Ciderman, red of beard, hair of head, nil of friends, playing these consoles through the worst kinds of hook ups, PAL one and all.
    Only thing was I had a decent TV and sound system, so at least I was making the most of the crimes against games inflicted upon us by Sega and Nintendo.

BGOllie wrote: »

I would venture that Ciderman, like myself, being from a generation that wasn't even aware (at least not until well late into the 16bit era at which stage we clocked quite a number of games already ) that there was such a thing as 50/60hz , it's not a primary concern to us.

We also have magnificent beards in common....
    Just thought I'd throw that in...
    Not sure if relevant to the discussion though.
    It is noticeable that Retr0 does not have a beard, but rather a cosplay friendly well shaved puss.

• Advertisement

BGOllie wrote: »

Nowadays, if I can play sth new at 60 I do it but 50hz really doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact I re-play most of my master system games at 50 and somehow I don't get the same nostalgia if I play them at 60 . You may find this odd, but for me the nostalgia factor overrides technical accuracy. Same with ps1 and 2 ... it doesn't even bother me on MSX games :)

On the other hand, I like to play the NES or snes at 60 since I didn't them back then most of it is pure discovery and I like that to be as close to the intended experience as possible.

I wouldn't call it nostalgia, more ignorance is bliss. Even when I didn't know anything about 50/60 Hz I would sit there listening to my favourite videogame music in sound tests and wonder why they wouldn't speed up the tempo in stuff like Rocket Knight and Streets of Rage because the music seemed really off to me. It annoyed me even back then. Street Fighter 2 and other fighting games were the worst offenders because they were so slow on console compared to the arcades and timings were way off with timing windows way too lenient.

As for Master System and MSX, on MSX other than the Japanese games those games were made for 50 Hz and the same on Master System. The Master System was only ever really big in Europe, the last US game was Sonic 1 so anything after that was actually created to run in 50 Hz. Playing them on 60 would feel all wrong in that case.

I wouldn't call it comparing apples with pears either, both will give you the same problems of squashed aspect ratio, ruined music etc. only games you get the extra of added lag and crappy controls. I just think in this day and age it's such a simple task now to play games properly in 60 Hz then why not do it? It's the way the creators originally wanted their works to be shown and played. 50 Hz is like watching 2001 A Space Odyssey on a phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement