Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it nostalgia, more ignorance is bliss. .
    Definitely at the time yes, isn't that what nostalgia is though ; blissful ignorance of the world around you :) Although now that I know about it, I'm really not bothered either. The vast majority of my over 40 gamers friends I talk to really aren't bothered either .
    As for Master System and MSX, on MSX other than the Japanese games those games were made for 50 Hz

True for European games I suppose but most of the games people did play were Japanese titles really : konami, sony, hal ... Japanese cart games but at 50hz. It was a major case of "ignorance is bliss" I'll give you that :) The msx isn't region locked so playing the same cart on a Japanese one will play at 60hz and at 50hz on a european one. Some konami carts will even switch some graphics like the intro title screen in Vampire Killer. There were Japanese carts and boxes but the difference is strictly cosmetic (Metal Gear jp though will display japanese texts ) . But trust me back then, it simply wasn't an issue for anyone. Having seen the experienced the transition from no consoles and computers around to suddenly having arcade games at home, we would blissfully have played them at 40hz :D

You're making a good point though with comparing the arcade speed and consoles, which is exactly when people started wondering why their SFII or MK was so slow at home compared to the arcade machines. I had this exact discussion with my friends at the time and it's the point when we realized there was such a thing as the 50/60hz regional difference. It's also when it started being mentioned in magazines too at that point. Then we all started seeing it everywhere in our games and have become increasingly bothered by it. It became anchored in the collective conscious that games in Europe were slower which I would say is why you were bothered by it at the time even if you didn't know explicitly what it was.

but yeah go 60hz when you can of course. I'm just pointing out it wasn't that big a of an issue for us at the time. we still played the games .

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We also have magnificent beards in common....
    mine grows at 50hz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And, you know what, I had a great time.

bill_zpsalp9lscl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Two Arduboys arrived yesterday, very impressive.

Hopefully I can get the finger out at some stage and have a go at making a game for it

IMG_20161027_1355351_zpsoiaktsyi.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Must have a look and see what games are out for the arduboy now. I got a few a while back from the original kickstarter and haven't really been keeping in the loop. Great little screen on these things :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,219 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What's the story with the screen on them? I haven't seen one in person but every time I see the photos part of me goes 'woah, that's really cool!'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Los Lobos wrote: »
    bill_zpsalp9lscl.jpg

If I'm being compared to his Holiness Bill Hicks I thank you.
    Probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!

o1s1n wrote: »
    What's the story with the screen on them? I haven't seen one in person but every time I see the photos part of me goes 'woah, that's really cool!'

It's just a very nice and simple 1Bit 128×64 OLED screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Tbh, I feel like a right noob when it comes to 50/60hz stuff, as I've only ever played and collected Pal versions of things. Will I be super gobsmacked the day I do play an NTSC copy of a game I love? :p How's it hold up for stuff like Ocarina, Klonoa, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There's a difference between 50 and 60 of course, but having played PAL quite considerably since young it doesn't bother me at all, it may do some who perhaps could play NTSC a bit earlier. The whole thing about games in 50 being broken or anything like that I definitely don't agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Linoud wrote: »
    Tbh, I feel like a right noob when it comes to 50/60hz stuff, as I've only ever played and collected Pal versions of things. Will I be super gobsmacked the day I do play an NTSC copy of a game I love? :p How's it hold up for stuff like Ocarina, Klonoa, etc?

Well it affects a lot of things. Controls are significantly laggier on 50 Hz games, you can really feel it in the controls. Music is usually utterly ruined by being played at a slower tempo. Also it feels like your character is running through treacle. Everything is also squished with characters looking fatter and black borders added to the top and bottom of the screen. However it's not usually apparent if you haven't played the 60 Hz versions other than the music which just sounds wrong. Some games are more badly affected than others. the Castlevania games are slow paced at 60 Hz and I find them excruciating at 50 Hz at times, even back before I knew the difference.

Of course some games it doesn't make too much of a difference, slower games like RPGs being one. However our limited time on this earth is a problem there. Finish a 50-60 hour RPG, at 50Hz it's actually take a half day long, a half day you'll never get back.

Of course there's bugs also added to PAL games as well. The secret sword quest in FF9 is near impossible without speedrunner skills as they reduced the amount of frames it takes to appear to match NTSC... but never sped up the game.

A small handful of games play better in 50 Hz, most Europe developed games on home computers and there's some anomalies like Back to the Future 3 on the megadrive which was made for 50 Hz so is sped up for NTSC making the first level impossible, although the only people winning there are the people not playing that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Charger arrived today, after about a decade it immediately takes the charge and 3 hours later its finished and plays like new. The wee lad will love it :)

https://imageshack.com/i/po1qtW6Ij

Master of the Universe

Well it affects a lot of things. Controls are significantly laggier on 50 Hz games, you can really feel it in the controls. Music is usually utterly ruined by being played at a slower tempo. Also it feels like your character is running through treacle. Everything is also squished with characters looking fatter and black borders added to the top and bottom of the screen. However it's not usually apparent if you haven't played the 60 Hz versions other than the music which just sounds wrong. Some games are more badly affected than others. the Castlevania games are slow paced at 60 Hz and I find them excruciating at 50 Hz at times, even back before I knew the difference.

Of course some games it doesn't make too much of a difference, slower games like RPGs being one. However our limited time on this earth is a problem there. Finish a 50-60 hour RPG, at 50Hz it's actually take a half day long, a half day you'll never get back.

Of course there's bugs also added to PAL games as well. The secret sword quest in FF9 is near impossible without speedrunner skills as they reduced the amount of frames it takes to appear to match NTSC... but never sped up the game.

A small handful of games play better in 50 Hz, most Europe developed games on home computers and there's some anomalies like Back to the Future 3 on the megadrive which was made for 50 Hz so is sped up for NTSC making the first level impossible, although the only people winning there are the people not playing that game.

Here's a Sophie's choice for you, would you rather be stuck with 50hz but RGB cables for everything, or 60hz with RF?

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say 60 Hz. Playability trumps visuals and playing games in 50 Hz feels all kinds of wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Here's a Sophie's choice for you, would you rather be stuck with 50hz but RGB cables for everything, or 60hz with RF?

:D

You really are one sick SOB to ask something like that!

Master of the Universe

All that noise, dot crawl so bad it looks like there are ants on the screen, colour bleed, lack of picture stability, fuzzy mono audio...

Versus beautiful, crisp, pixel to pixel perfect RGB with gorgeous stereo sound.

If you were stuck with 50hz for the rest of your days, would you eventually get used to the pace again? Maybe...

definitely would take 50hz over Never-Twice-the-Same-Color :)

but as retro said, nowadays we can have the best of both so given the chance, go all out : 60hz in RGB on a CRT

Master of the Universe

Ah man, don't get me started on CRTs. If I had the space I'd collect them.

There was a time there where I had three 25 inches in a row in candy cabs in the kitchen, a 20 inch PVM, 14 inch 1084s and two 9 Inch PVMs in the games room and then a 29 inch Sony Trinitron monster in the spare room.

Surprised my house didn't collapse under the weight :D

Ah man, don't get me started on CRTs. If I had the space I'd collect them.

There was a time there where I had three 25 inches in a row in candy cabs in the kitchen, a 20 inch PVM, 14 inch 1084s and two 9 Inch PVMs in the games room and then a 29 inch Sony Trinitron monster in the spare room.

Surprised my house didn't collapse under the weight :D

Didn't you dump them down an elevator shaft or something for storage?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I had to get rid of a 32 Sony triniton when its gravitational field was causing tides in the toilet bowl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

And you'd want to be careful with two or you'd end up like Matthew mcconaughty in interstellar.

Wearing the 'joke' thin now. Sorry

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    And you'd want to be careful with two or you'd end up like Matthew mcconaughty in interstellar.

Wearing the 'joke' thin now. Sorry

I used to run down the hallway towards my cabs and use their gravitational force to slingshot me off to work in the mornings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used to run down the hallway towards my cabs and use their gravitational force to slingshot me off to work in the mornings.

tumblr_n25dt9oYu61tuuzplo4_500.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVzCLM8BrNS-VhTGUrglECK86DxQPRQyyuBnIaKJhgUwKDiJG_fw
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyU13GeX8FS0yNCtRLQOwf_aT3LC3vx0IBbRZL76xqFfy7REZ9kQ
    Dat wallpaper....

latest?cb=20130628080331

Few bits in today, games and Kickstarter books.

LyYleEi.jpg

yngheKo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Few bits in today, games and Kickstarter books.

The Speccy book is a good little read, excellent loo reading! Must splash out on the Oliver Frey one.

My get is an Issue 2 Rubber key Spectrum, arrived today from Dublin.

8H4bY8s.jpg

Ollie Frey, he's the guy who did the cover art for Crash, Zzap and Amstrad Action, fantastic artist!

2 new cabs arrived today. I'll take a pic of the galaga one tomorrow as it's still in the van and it's all dark and raining now
    Incidentally , the outrun cab was made in Ireland. kinda feels good to bring this one back home

14963396_10154695169473276_2771094038956667075_n.jpg?oh=e285a4782ad8eb158e7184d62b803e52&oe=588BE610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm jealous

Wow ollie!
    Talk about a serious line up,
    Can't wait I the them all powered up!

• Advertisement

Wow ollie!
    Talk about a serious line up,
    Can't wait I the them all powered up!

there you go :)
    All working . The galaga one is missing some sounds and there's some flickering sprites so I'll have to have a closer look at the board in time.
    14900333_10154698076633276_4439899883970005814_n.jpg?oh=384095f834266b59adfeff83d98e03a3&oe=589F85A6

I need to change the neon on the outrun marquee and the coin operator doesn't work either.
    Also need to replace the lights on the galaga but that's all really. They're in pretty good condition overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement