Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Love the cover images!
    The left one is from Manic Miner, which is great, but the right one is from the Spectrum Transformers game, I used to love that one! Sank hours into it, got pretty good at it too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

These came today, 4 x YM2612 Sega Mega Drive sound chips and 4 x SN76489 Master System slund chips for the MIDIbox Quad Genesis synthesizer I'm building. I desoldered the existing YM2612 in my Mega Drive and soldered an IC socket to test the 4 chips and they work fine!

63fcCDz.jpg

Didnt realise the Mega Drive shows a blank screen if you try and load a game without one installed.
    The synthesizer will require 3D printed transparent buttons so I may have to summon Steve x2's skills at some stage!

Also a new toy came today, a Hot Air Rework Station and soldering iron combo, cost about 46 dollarydoos delivered by DHL within a week.

GSAtNPh.jpg

Ill need to solder a lot of SMD chips for this project so decided to invest in a hot air rework station, and it was only a few dollars more for the Soldering Iron combo model. Going for the hot air and solder paste method as it seems the easiest.

Luckily everything is earthed properly also, so no modifications were required! ;)

Also this came with it, and I havent the slightest idea what it could be! Any ideas?

6KVD09r.jpg

BGOllie wrote: »
    xmas present from me to me :)

fr300_case-475x475.jpg

Wahey, a genuine hakko also! Is the FR model for frenchmen? ;)

My Oklahomie in the states uses the same model for desoldering arcade boards in the states, having the pump built into the handle itself saves precious deskspace unlike my and the Last Bandits bulky ZD-915 cheapos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The handle & springy metal thing is for moving the hot smd components you just blasted with the hotair gun.

Unless you got a stencil/oven and a lot of boards to do then don't bother with solder paste. Its quicker to manually solder them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Great little fun portable synth. This is the "Arcade" version, I plan to get the rest of them and hook them all up in a loop.

PO-20 Arcade Pocket Operator Synthesizer
    KKXw5M4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭geotrig

Great fun arent they ? my daughter got one for the xmas from santa po-14 "sub"...although i've probably used it more :pac:... the po -12 is next on our list

although my reality of making a song are nothing like the youtube vids

geotrig wrote: »
    Great fun arent they ? my daughter got one for the xmas from santa po-14 "sub"...although i've probably used it more :pac:... the po -12 is next on our list

although my reality of making a song are nothing like the youtube vids

Yeah, you do need a few of them to get the full "song" going. Still, good fun in them for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That ugly rack hanger lump of plastic on the top of them was a really poor choice...

Thargor wrote: »
    That ugly rack hanger lump of plastic on the top of them was a really poor choice...

That's designed to snap off if you put it in a case (official or 3D printed). So not a major problem to remove it.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Great little fun portable synth. This is the "Arcade" version, I plan to get the rest of them and hook them all up in a loop.

PO-20 Arcade Pocket Operator Synthesizer
    KKXw5M4.jpg

Is this your first time buying a synth Steve?

Thread carefully, synths can be just addictive and costly as buying / collecting retro games and consoles! Especilly the vintage kind!

The PO-28 does a decent SID sound:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Best pressies ever
    The price of the Switch from my better half
    And Legend of Zelda for the NES from the family!
    Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Inviere

A few pickups from over the yule tide season, right up to last week!

IMG_20170116_171059.jpg

The NES Mini, Steam Link, and Megadrive games were all gifts. The Famicom Mini & Secret of Mana are gifts from me to me :)

I want a Nintendo Classic Mini!
    And a Famicom Mini!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Doge wrote: »
    These came today, 4 x YM2612 Sega Mega Drive sound chips and 4 x SN76489 Master System slund chips for the MIDIbox Quad Genesis synthesizer I'm building. I desoldered the existing YM2612 in my Mega Drive and soldered an IC socket to test the 4 chips and they work fine!

63fcCDz.jpg

Didnt realise the Mega Drive shows a blank screen if you try and load a game without one installed.
    The synthesizer will require 3D printed transparent buttons so I may have to summon Steve x2's skills at some stage!

Also a new toy came today, a Hot Air Rework Station and soldering iron combo, cost about 46 dollarydoos delivered by DHL within a week.

GSAtNPh.jpg

Ill need to solder a lot of SMD chips for this project so decided to invest in a hot air rework station, and it was only a few dollars more for the Soldering Iron combo model. Going for the hot air and solder paste method as it seems the easiest.

Luckily everything is earthed properly also, so no modifications were required! ;)

Also this came with it, and I havent the slightest idea what it could be! Any ideas?

6KVD09r.jpg

This sounds proper amazing. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I want a Nintendo Classic Mini!
    And a Famicom Mini!

I've gotten food poisoning for mine. Which is

d0102be6c404eb8c01fd274ea26b10b3.jpg

Danonino. wrote: »
    This sounds proper amazing. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Heres some vids in case you missed my post about it,

Some eye candy and VGM file playback:

4 VGM files played at once for the lolz:

and voice mode, only watch this if you're really into synthesis, its quite long:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Not retro but I received a present from Game Atelier for my help in the Monsterboy game so I could play the game when it first comes out on ps4 :D

Full disclosure, I made a first trailer for them for which I was paid. We were then in contact regarding my making more covers to include in the game as unlockables. Since I had planned on doing them I just went ahead and bumped them up in my schedule. There never was a question of of money for these, I was just happy to do it (and I was going to do these covers regardless) .
    But I came home Wednesday and this was waiting for me with a thank you note :)
    So I went ahead and bought Bloodborne and last guardian .

15977871_10154944957023276_6127369486226756392_n.jpg?oh=6dadcff57937abfd8b949c672216df39&oe=58D83961

Oh also I did another trailer for them recently too :)

Bloodborne and The Last Guardian
    Great games and I can't wait to hear any covers of those games music, each is brilliant! (though not yet retro...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

First non-illness related get of the year.

Street Fighter II Turbo on a PAL SNES, from corholio on here.

Had to get it, so I'll be up to speed for Street Fighter II SUPER ULTRA HYPER TURBO ULTIMATE on the Switch.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Bloodborne and The Last Guardian
    Great games and I can't wait to hear any covers of those games music, each is brilliant! (though not yet retro...)

I tired to play bloodborne,
    we didnt get along,
    do you want a copy ollie?
    I'll post it down to foc you if you do .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

I tired to play bloodborne,
    we didnt get along,
    do you want a copy ollie?
    I'll post it down to foc you if you do .

ah man. I bought one yesterday, not used to paying full price for anything these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Got a bundle of mega drive games for nothing today :D, 1-2 good games and few sports.
    Mega Bomberman
    Captain America & the Avengers
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Altered Beast
    Cool Spot
    Wrestlemania
    and 4 sports titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not really gaming related but it is retro! Wanted one of these for a while and found one locally for $60.

64385870-F130-4150-8D59-C6F541B1DC05_zpsjkxe1w2u.jpg

It's an iMac G4 straight outta 2002. Came with the pro speakers too which are actually pretty decent. Mainly going to use it for music and see if I can get some form of mame running on it.

Not really gaming related but it is retro! Wanted one of these for a while and found one locally for $60.

64385870-F130-4150-8D59-C6F541B1DC05_zpsjkxe1w2u.jpg

It's an iMac G4 straight outta 2002. Came with the pro speakers too which are actually pretty decent. Mainly going to use it for music and see if I can get some form of mame running on it.

If I got MAME running on an old G3 running at 400mhz with 128MB RAM, you'll definitely get something running on that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If I got MAME running on an old G3 running at 400mhz with 128MB RAM, you'll definitely get something running on that :)

I've a whopping 800mhz and a gig of RAM to play with!

I've a whopping 800mhz and a gig of RAM to play with!

Bragger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Always thought I'd like to get a Power Mac G4 Cube

NOS 13" CRT.

R0pCWjh.jpg

• Advertisement

Woohoo!
    Last Blade 2!
    It doesn't get enough love!
    giphy.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement