Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Baku Baku Animal
    Sonic R
    Sonic Jam
    Nights
    Worms
    Virtua Cop/2
    House of the Dead
    Just a few cheaper ones there, but also good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, don't do that!
    Just buy a console and take your time building a collection.
    PS2, Megadrive, Snes, Gameboy, these are all great starter systems, and there not too expensive to find games for them, keeping an eye on the markets, on the likes of Done Deal and Adverts too, as well as Ebay.
    Youtube has some great channels offering buyer guides, but often the games mentioned jump in price, simply because of the publicity the Youtube channel affords them, likes of Metal Jesus' channel for example.

Is there much of a car boot scene for retro games? I only ever see sports games tbh (ps1 era onwards). I follow metal jesus, game chasers etc. I always find it laughable when the complain about over priced games they find at flea markets or even in stores...they don't have a clue how lucky they have it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It used to be more common to find stuff at car boot sales and Sunday markets.
    In truth such places are good mines for previous gen, so these days there's plenty of PS3, Wii and 360 stuff but less PS, Xbox or Saturn, and anything cart based has become quite hard to find.
    That said, check out this thread for a few great finds, often down to people heading to markets very early, sometimes a distance away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I managed to nab an Xbox, Saturn and a Master System off a Facebook Buy and Sell, just ask in your local ones about old consoles and games and see what replies you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Sure, I have a few original consoles too!

Oh one or two I bet :D

• Advertisement

So, thanks to Mozie I'm now the proud owner of an Ikegami broadcast monitor.
    Beautiful image from an RGB source but my composite input from my Famicom doesn't want to play nice with it :(
    Also, I'll have to get a neat speaker for it, as unlike the PVM, which I now own two of, it doesn't have them built in.

Any suggestions for seeing composite on the Ikegami?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

mzM0GOam.jpg

These were waiting for me when I arrived home Thursday, two months over the estimated arrival time and missing all leads and a console.
    Hopefully not to much work is needed on them, just waiting on cables to arrive and shall test em out.

How much did the pair cost you?
    And, are you hoping they'll both be in working order?
    Might be interested in one of them if working!

Some fiddling with crappy scart adaptors and I now have the Snes, MD, Saturn and GC running into the Ikegami, and they look the business.
    Can anyone recommend a really cheap stereo sound bar type thingy to let it have sound too?
    The RGB Scart to BNC breakout adaptor has a set of audio phonos, just need something neat to plug them into.
    The composite from the Famicom remains a problem, with the thing indicating it's getting a signal but you can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Came in a bundle of stuff so paid around 10 each but if you include postage would be closer €50 each seeing as got caught by customs again.

They were described as working with pics of them at the home screen but no pics of an actual game running.

Might part with the slightly yellowed one will see.

• Advertisement

Rare Sony crap I don't need!
    Yes please!

Some fiddling with crappy scart adaptors and I now have the Snes, MD, Saturn and GC running into the Ikegami, and they look the business.
    Can anyone recommend a really cheap stereo sound bar type thingy to let it have sound too?
    The RGB Scart to BNC breakout adaptor has a set of audio phonos, just need something neat to plug them into.
    The composite from the Famicom remains a problem, with the thing indicating it's getting a signal but you can't see it.

Glad you got it sorted! they really are a superb monitor and were a great find (Thanks BrownFinger) apologies I couldn't be there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you have one of those multi scart box thingies with the audio jack on the front? Can pull the audio straight out of that with a 3.5mm audio cable rather than going via the breakout phono cables on the BNC connector.

edit - these yolks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bandridge-Performance-Automatic-Selector-Switching/dp/B0015YYN1W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I haven't set mine up yet but my Bose 321 system which I'm using for audio has composite in and component out so I'm hoping it'll convert it for me with anything that's not RGB

And one of these with a homemade BNC cable
    51-rmHiUoSL.jpg

I know the ones.
    I'll see how the fundage goes and I may invest.

Composite input still seems off, no idea why.
    More experimentation required!

Interview on Thursday so it'll have to wait until after that...
    Study to be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just got my ikegami today. Looks like I've no cables that will hook up to it or the 8" Sony I got aswell. Where's the best place to pick up some? NES, PS1, Mega Drive mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Interview on Thursday so it'll have to wait until after that...
    Study to be done!
    Best of luck with the interview, I'm sure you'll be grand.
    (was sure I posted that already but think I just left the tab open lol)

Just got my ikegami today. Looks like I've no cables that will hook up to it or the 8" Sony I got aswell. Where's the best place to pick up some? NES, PS1, Mega Drive mainly

These are the ones I use, after that you just need rgb cables for your consoles

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-av-accessories/sony-pvm/sony-pvm-scart-converter-bnc

Cool, thanks.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow and see what I need

Master of the Universe

Not gaming related, but I got a new floof!

Here she is with attack mode engaged;

floof_zpsnor8xgra.jpg

• Advertisement

What did you name her? :)

Master of the Universe

Nothing settled on as of yet! I'm leaning towards Mort.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nothing settled on as of yet! I'm leaning towards Mort.
    I like it! Morgan I was thinking of, because of the black crows for Morrígan. My neighbour's cat is named Setanta, that's probably why.
    Oh and the cat in Persona 5, I still haven't my playable copy yet tho.

Mine was called 'Tempest' (after the Shakespeare play) his since passed :(

Mine was called 'Tempest' (after the Shakespeare play) his since passed :(
    Sorry to hear Mozie :( my friend had a cat called Drama, he was studying Shakespeare at the time.
    Soccer seems to be the theme for my dogs names, the current being Louie and he used to bite lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

We called our black cat blackie. Really funny story in the pet forum about her and f anyone is interested.

@o1s1n
    Be very careful. 2 cats will soon turn into 6 and back to 4. It's heartbreaking especially when they're pissing on your exspesive books

Also congrats when you should call her connors

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

We had a cat with one eye a few years back. We called him Saul after Saul from battlestar galactica.

That is frakking cool, so say we all!

I got new collars for my mates cats a while ago, he has 3 and the tags read:

"C*nt 1"
    "C*nt 2"
    "This cat is OK"

Cats can be called anything because you don't have to call after them in public like dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

We got two kittens during Italia 90, and named them Cagliari and Palermo, as that's where Ireland played their Group matches! Random

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement