Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Jesus, was this all from one sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Yeah, still alot more, 2 saturns, another 007 N64 console,2 original xboxs,ps2 boxed, 120+ original xbox games,30 ps2 games,100+ pc games, few gba games, hand full of snes and n64, 19smd games,17SS games,40 dreamcast games,20 ps1 games, 40 gamecube games, ds,psp,wii and around 10 xbox 360/ps3/pc collectors editions.
    GC and Xbox are a mix of ntsc.

Counting the minutes so I can leave work and go home to check it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sweet Christmas!!! :eek:
    That's some haul!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Sweet Christmas!!! :eek:
    That's some haul!

Yeah was a chaps collection, now to get him to part with his vintage Star Wars toy collection and we will be sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sweet jesus! Has to be the biggest haul I've ever seen on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

nothing as impressive but while I haven't been to a charity shot or a car boot sale in a while, turns out Banjo Girl Fiona is on the case :) . She came home with these yesterday :D

18209194_10155282254638276_249679396463991039_o.jpg?oh=a368f14fbef7be0bc4d1275b39cde270&oe=59BF92FD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

18194215_1404436729626663_1792492701655491176_n.jpg?oh=8c5db62b7ae5c21ef3c4aff955337569&oe=59802770

Not much of a retro get but this is going to give me an opportunity to up my productions values for YouTube.

It'll also help me to take much more professional looking pictures in general. Within the last year or so my interest in photography has grown more and more.

I also have a studio setup on the way for white and green muslin backgrounds including lighting etc.

The Raspberry Pi Ally series is about to get a serious upgrade. :P As well as other skits and things...

Nice camera, I'm in need of a good one myself seeing as this phone just does not do any items I take pics of justice.
    Been looking for awhile now but camera jargon confuses me and I give up looking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My Vectrex needs a capacitor replaced but I've not the time or the inclination.
    Happily someone on Adverts is selling me a perfect Veccy, just needs a controller, for a decent price.
    So I'll probably stick my own slightly sick Vectrex up on the Marketplace, but it'll need a controller and a cap kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Happily someone on Adverts is selling me a perfect Veccy, just needs a controller, for a decent price.
    So I'll probably stick my own slightly sick Vectrex up on the Marketplace, but it'll need a controller and a cap kit.

That's the one console you might want to keep two of, for spares etc. God knows what might go next in the one you're buying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

True.
    There's very little wrong with the one I already own, and Bandit replaced the cap on the controller/sound board, a common part to fail, so I can swap that out if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I haven't been near Adverts in a while, is it still full of the usual suspects?

JakeStevens1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Does it need a capacitor changed ? I know it needs to be recalibrated a little but that's not a difficult job.

Not sure, remember the screen had some features reversed.
    That was all, everything else works fine.
    Might sell it on... I've enough gaming goodness in the gamesroom at this stage!
    But it'll need a controller, I'm getting one with this one on the way, but it's borked, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The screen reversed is bad calibration, my fault actually. I calibrated it with a cart with sloped text but I thought the text should have been straight so its dialed out a bit.

If you crack it open, there are two pots on the side that adjust the necessary settings. I'll try and make the beers and see if I can fix in then.

The screen reversed is bad calibration, my fault actually. I calibrated it with a cart with sloped text but I thought the text should have been straight so its dialed out a bit.

If you crack it open, there are two pots on the side that adjust the necessary settings. I'll try and make the beers and see if I can fix in then.

Well, I'm buying another at this point!
    I'll recoup by selling my one on for the same money as this one I'm getting.
    It just needs a controller.
    I know a few people have dead Veccys on here, maybe this is their chance to buy a working one instead!

Some more stuff Pal GC 1st.

9iFvNWom.jpgAvyJ74hm.jpg
    dJqtX5rm.jpg

NTSC GC.
    ZuVrglYm.jpgLxLY3g5m.jpgxRaJGwim.jpg

N64 stuff all pal.

KtjhLBGm.jpg
    9IoFBrKm.jpg

Nice selection of action replays.

pR1oxSKl.jpg

Sega Saturns
    eTQgi7Zl.jpg

fyZWKTZl.jpg

Ps2 games

8Zr5bIZm.jpg
    Ki0cmCXm.jpg
    kA2rOB7m.jpg
    ABeYENkm.jpg
    5uPOaSVm.jpg

Collectors editions.
    xbPNMWtm.jpg

YZcqql6m.jpg

T9Dn8x0m.jpg

zaJn9CZm.jpg

ZHzlQwgm.jpg

wkThIx0m.jpg

tZg6dxmm.jpg

hi5peRom.jpg

JQHV0A6m.jpg

8kUxFaXm.jpg

Love the Super Mario Galaxy limited edition of all of them!

• Advertisement

Burzum wrote: »
    Nice selection of action replays.

pR1oxSKl.jpg

Sega Saturns
    eTQgi7Zl.jpg

fyZWKTZl.jpg

Ps2 games

8Zr5bIZm.jpg
    Ki0cmCXm.jpg
    kA2rOB7m.jpg
    ABeYENkm.jpg
    5uPOaSVm.jpg

Ahh the action Replay CDX... The device that opened the Dreamcast up to piracy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I want to unwind that n64 controller and leave the little loop of cord out before I wrap it round the controller. My kids just sigh and roll their eyes when I give out to them for wrapping cords too tight!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

MrVestek wrote: »
    Ahh the action Replay CDX... The device that opened the Dreamcast up to piracy...

Didn't it load cd-rs straight out of the box? Finding a source for those at the time was a problem though. There was an Internet cafe in Galway where you could leave a torrent running all day in the background if no prick turned it off on you.

Thargor wrote: »
    Didn't it load cd-rs straight out of the box? Finding a source for those at the time was a problem though. There was an Internet cafe in Galway where you could leave a torrent running all day in the background if no prick turned it off on you.

It was the Action Replay team though that found the Mil-CD loophole in the first place.

When it came out crackers reverse engineered it and used it to create the Utopia Boot CD.

The rest is history.

I used to buy copies of dc games from a guy I met on one of the dreamcast forums back in the pre-broadband, pre-PayPal era. He charged $1 per disk and had to be posted cash, the turnaround was around 4 weeks lol. I'd send $5 and try get through what I had before the next batch arrived. Fun times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

MrVestek wrote: »
    It was the Action Replay team though that found the Mil-CD loophole in the first place.

When it came out crackers reverse engineered it and used it to create the Utopia Boot CD.

The rest is history.

I think your getting the UTOPiA Boot CD and the Self Boot implementation of the Mil-CD loophole confused.

From my understanding the UTOPiA group discovered that by hacking and then using leaked versions of the Dreamcast (Katana) SDK to produce.

The Self Boot implementation was discovered by Randy Linden of Bleam and shared with the dreamcast 'community' by Marcus Comstedt after Datel's Action Replay was released.

...but yes, the rest is history :(

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I think your getting the UTOPiA Boot CD and the Self Boot implementation of the Mil-CD loophole confused.

From my understanding the UTOPiA group discovered that by hacking and then using leaked versions of the Dreamcast (Katana) SDK to produce.

The Self Boot implementation was discovered by Randy Linden of Bleam and shared with the dreamcast 'community' by Marcus Comstedt after Datel's Action Replay was released.

...but yes, the rest is history :(

Ahh... perhaps I am!

Yes it's the selfbooting Mil-CD loophole that Action Replay exposed to the world, my mistake.

In fairness it has been what... 17 years? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

But Im specifically remembering a few of us in secondary school passing around burnt disks for our Dreamcasts and none of us ever bothering with any live cds or anything like that, they just worked. Was there releases that included a live cd on the disk with the game or something? Im not mis-remembering this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Some DC images are simply self boot...you burn them to disc using the appropriate burning software, & they booted themselves (presumably using the above mentioned MIL thingy)

• Advertisement

Ok.

The Dreamcast supported two types of discs.

GD-Rom discs and Mil-CDs.

Mil-CDs were supposed to be this new format of multimedia disc that had a few official releases inside Japan and that was it.

It was supposed to take off as a way for artists to publish singles to CD and then have a data portion that could be read by other devices (like The Dreamcast) with music videos to play etc.

It didn't really take off but the Mil-CD boot code was still lurking in the Dreamcast somewhere.

Before Dreamcast piracy became popular you used to need to load up a boot disc in order to load up pirated games. As Kerbdog stated this was discovered via illegal use of an SDK at the time.

Mil-CDs however were able to self boot using the Mil-CD code in the firmware which at one time was undiscovered. The guys behind Action Replay found out about this, got some Mil-CDs from Japan and reverse engineered them, thus creating a self booting CD for the first time on the Dreamcast made by or sanctioned by somebody other than Sega.

Of course pirates then got their hands on the Gameshark / Action Replay CDX... reverse engineered it and then used that same process to make their pirated games self boot.

So this all happened *before* you were passing those CDs around the playground you naughty naughty boy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement