Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I need that poster! Any links to a high res file?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Vectrex whoop. Need to fix the joystick though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    Vectrex whoop. Need to fix the joystick though.

Glad you got it, and that the seller didn't nail me with negative feedback :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Burzum wrote: »
    Damn thats nice and minty.

Yeah it's in amazing condition for it's age! You can really see the fold creases in that photo due to the camera flash, looks much better in person. The glass really flattened it out.

That's just an Ikea Stromby frame by the way, nothing fancy!
    I need that poster! Any links to a high res file?

I remember trying to find a high res copy of it in the past but couldn't unfortunately. If you find one let me know. The only ones I've seen of it were given away years ago by Mean Machine's Sega.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What about this and a run through Photoshop, should deliver a decent, high res, result, suitable for a poster.
    genesis-1406736955.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thanks ciderman.

I must scan some of my artwork and even the data discs prints and size them to posters. I have a decent scanner. With some Photoshop magic they could turn out nice

I want the cover of Revenge of Shinobi aswell with no text. Some Sega digital collection had it in game a while ago. The menu was meant to be a bedroom or something, been wanting it ever since I saw it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Glad you got it, and that the seller didn't nail me with negative feedback :(

Would you prefer I did :pac:

magentis wrote: »

Nooooo!
    I really wanted it too :(

Bugger.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

magentis wrote: »

You have some great computers listed there, if only I had the money to buy myself more Spectrums and zx81 (oh and the mib Sony tape player with the zx81 must be worth a few bob on its own)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

A Vectrex with a Vecflash cart is the greatest retrogaming combo in the universe.
    There's just games there that you can't play anywhere else.
    No doubt people on the FB Retrogaming forum agree, though they will play Vectrex games via emulator on their 55" LCD tv, in 16:9

• Advertisement

A Vectrex with a Vecflash cart is the greatest retrogaming combo in the universe.
    There's just games there that you can't play anywhere else.
    No doubt people on the FB Retrogaming forum agree, though they will play Vectrex games via emulator on their 55" LCD tv, in 16:9

I try and avoid getting frustrated about this as always hope that people emulating stuff on a pi with 10,000 games they'll probably never play etc might get the bug by playing one particular game and treat themselves to the real thing. Otherwise when all us old buggers have died off it'll be left to the ten percent who weren't actually around when these machines were in their prime, and the numbers will dwindle still further, and further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

I try and avoid getting frustrated about this as always hope that people emulating stuff on a pi with 10,000 games they'll probably never play etc might get the bug by playing one particular game and treat themselves to the real thing. Otherwise when all us old buggers have died off it'll be left to the ten percent who weren't actually around when these machines were in their prime, and the numbers will dwindle still further, and further.

I see it the other way, that emulation allows these games to live on, in an era where they'd otherwise be long forgotten. That said, Vectrex is one of the few systems where emulation, no matter how accurate, can't really represent the original experience.

Inviere wrote: »
    I see it the other way, that emulation allows these games to live on, in an era where they'd otherwise be long forgotten. That said, Vectrex is one of the few systems where emulation, no matter how accurate, can't really represent the original experience.

I don't object to emulation, use it myself, but still hope it's a gateway drug to the real thing. With regards to the vectrex, not many people are lucky enough to play on the real thing, I've only ever played emulation of it.

I don't object to emulation, use it myself, but still hope it's a gateway drug to the real thing. With regards to the vectrex, not many people are lucky enough to play on the real thing, I've only ever played emulation of it.

I'd largely agree, though as time and display tech moves on, the real thing is becoming more difficult and costly to achieve. A retro console plugged in to a modern display panel looks like absolute cack. Ideally, you'd have a crt to there for such use, and that requires space. Most are forced to make do with HD and now 4K panels, and are left understandably cold by the experience. To bring back the authenticity, an external scaler is the best solution, and the good ones don't come cheap.

Contrast that with something like a Pi 3, Retropie, and a CRT shader that imo looks really good, and you have a far more effective solution for the non enthusiast. Retro arch on PC offers even more that the Pi can't, all for free. Couple that with hardware failing over time, crt repairmen going the way of the dinosour, and the inflated price of genuine retro games, and I see emulation as being the easiest and most cost effective way of playing retro games into the future.

Then consider leaving authticity behind, and having something like Dolphin run Mario Galaxy at resolutions the the Wii could only dream of, and you've a whole other conversation to be had

No point in being a snob I suppose.
    The more people who play Super Mario World or Gradius II the better.

Can't argue with that, but I do think fpga solutions are a step up authenticity wise from software emulation. Spectrums look pretty sh*t whatever TV you have (but still lovely in my eyes), but still can't seem to tune my zx81 in to get colour or sound though :)

Edit, though some clever souls added both colour AND sound to zx81. Witchcraft.

No point in being a snob I suppose.
    The more people who play Super Mario World or Gradius II the better.

Indeed. There is without doubt an element of snobbery toward emulation among collectors (nobody in particular, hell I'll admit to it myself), and to some extent, it's warranted. We all want these games we love to be experienced the way they were meant to be. Many of us lived through the dawn of emulation, where it was all done through windows, buggy, and clunky. We've retained that opinion of it over the years, being somewhat unfair I suppose.

It's come a LONG way, and things like Retroarch have made the experience very slick, streamlined, and rewarding. Dolphin has knocked my socks off lately, it's been years since I looked at it...and when I look at games running at stock resolutions, compared to what Dolphin can do with higher settings, I'll be honest, it's enough to seriously question if I'll ever play a Wii game on a Wii again - and I say that as a long time collector.

Retroarch combined with Launchbox is a seriously attractive emulation setup on pc right now.

Can't argue with that, but I do think fpga solutions are a step up authenticity wise from software emulation

Definitely, fpga can be practically 1:1 in terms of accuracy I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still, there's no excuse for playing games in 16:9 :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still, there's no excuse for playing games in 16:9 :D

None whatsoever! :)

• Advertisement

My TV ain't new, Do new TV's still have the 4:3 setting?
    Do you think they will always have it?

eddhorse wrote: »
    My TV ain't new, Do new TV's still have the 4:3 setting?
    Do you think they will always have it?

They normally do, but it might not be obvious on the remote, could say "aspect" or be a rectangle within another, or simply a 4:3/16:9 label.
    If in doubt, google the tv's model number and find a pdf of the manual, should be there.
    There's enough legacy 4:3 stations out there, or there was, to result in even modern sets to have the ability to display such images without stretching them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150350321@N02/33697435974/in/dateposted-public/

I received this beautiful sign as a gift nearly a month ago and hung it the next day but I finally balanced it and rehung the posters today while tiding "my room". I lovvvvvve the sign and still can't believe it was just given to me. Been looking for one at a nice price for ages. ITS HUGE. Still haven't decided if I'll set up my kiosk and test stations (currently in my dad's attic). I want everything to look clean because it'll be doubling as my office for a while and I'm lacking space big time!

Master of the Universe

Amazing!! Nicely done.

Not​ a retro get, but I picked up Senran Kagura Estival Versus in Gamestop, preowned, for €14.99
    Now to hide it and never play the pervy game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Not​ a retro get, but I picked up Senran Kagura Estival Versus in Gamestop, preowned, for €14.99
    Now to hide it and never play the pervy game!
    I found the 3DS one a bit boring after awhile but I saw a different one being played, it seemed to be a bit better, think it was that Versus one.

Also got a non retro get, finally got a copy of Persona 5, it's like finding hens teeth, awful trouble getting a copy.

The 3DS one just reminded me of why I don't like scrolling brawlers.
    I don't think I've ever gone back to it.
    I only got the PS4 one because it's an odd one and cheap.

Master of the Universe

The 3DS one just reminded me of why I don't like scrolling brawlers.
    I don't think I've ever gone back to it.
    I only got the PS4 one because it's an odd one and cheap.

It's just not a good game tbh. There are some brilliant beat em ups out there, this isn't one of them.

Now Streets of Rage 2 on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

picked this fella up this weekend from a fellow board member. Free to take away. Thanks very much sir.
    It's a Maximum force cab with an Area 51 / Maximum force combo kit on cf card.
    He got this from mitch a few years back and never got around to fixing it (switching power supply is fried) .
    thanks also to el presidente: El Sidrahombre for the tip :D

18425564_10155316531718276_1973824802935672594_n.jpg?oh=dbb4d0f022f4b9307876cb7037c6c2c3&oe=59A8ED2F

• Advertisement

"Free to take away."

Holy crap that a nice gesture

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement