Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Y'all go ahead, I have too many bits to sort through at the mo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Actually one of my monitors says "HR Trinitron" where the others just say Trinitron, is there actually any difference?

There's a bit of variance alright, HR trinitrons have a higher TVL count.

However! Older PVMs have lower TVLs in general. What was HR years ago would be considered non HR a few years later.

My BVM has HR on it but it's 600 TVL - later release PVM and BVMs HR means 800-900 TVL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's a bit of variance alright, HR trinitrons have a higher TVL count.

However! Older PVMs have lower TVLs in general. What was HR years ago would be considered non HR a few years later.

My BVM has HR on it but it's 600 TVL - later release PVM and BVMs HR means 800-900 TVL.

Eh, wut? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Inviere wrote: »

That's what I was going to say haha

Master of the Universe

Cool thanks guys, some of them are pricey and some are around 60, whats the important stuff to look out for? other than screen burn etc, is there a preferred brand etc?

Eg this sony one is 60. anything here that would put you off buying it?

https://www.nibroadcast.co.uk/store/Sony-PVM-9042QM-9inch-colour-monitors-with-4-3-and-16-9-composit-and-YUV-RGB-p83338012

edit, is there a difference between pvm and bvm or is it just model types?

That's a nice clean looking monitor.

BVMs were in general a lot more expensive when new. They have expansion slots, and a lot more controls over the image. Tend to be full steel construction too whereas a lot of PVMs have plastic back covers.

Monitors with looking out for especially are ones with 'multisync' on the bezel. They're hard to come by though. The PVM 'L' series being one of them. They'll support all video signals from 240p and up. (Lots of PVMs and BVMs don't seem to support 480p)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »

TVL = television lines. It's the resolution of the monitor. In simple terms, how many dots you have along each scanline beam.

Good summary of it here;

https://andynumbers.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/lets-talk-about-tvl-count/

Higher the TVL, the sharper the image is. You'll also get more pronounced scanlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

TVL = television lines. It's the resolution of the monitor. In simple terms, how many dots you have along each scanline beam.

Good summary of it here;

https://andynumbers.wordpress.com/2016/07/21/lets-talk-about-tvl-count/

Higher the TVL, the sharper the image is. You'll also get more pronounced scanlines.

FrIVtmq.jpg

Kind of thought it was something to do with scanlines. Mostly because the HR has lines in the logo :p

Honestly I'm not overly obsessive with these pvms. The size they are it's just novelty value for me really, because I like them, and think they are just so cool. If the screen size on these was a big bigger I probably would go full RGB and get serious about it but daisy chain composite will do for me.

One question though am I Daisy chaining through each monitors input and output and then the final one going to the console?

I do have that ikegami as well that looks fantastic with the RGB scart cables. Have to get that one hooked up to some speakers and really get some time on it. Just find it hard to play a game with no sounds.

That's the good thing about those tiny Sony PVMs as well, they have a little mono speaker built in

Master of the Universe

Yeah just start with the console and connect it to a monitor via composite. Then connect that monitor's composite out port to the next monitors composite in and continue until you run out of monitors :D

Should be able to get the ikegami into the chain too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I use my Ikegami with a nice compact set of powered pc speakers and the audio output from a set of RGB breakout cables, that in turn is fed from the Banridge RGB scart switcher, which itself has the relevant RGB consoles feeding it.
    I might take out the crappy Philips crt I've got up there and put in an additional 29" Trini, if I can mount it on its side, for Tate mode shrimps.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I use my Ikegami with a nice compact set of powered pc speakers and the audio output from a set of RGB breakout cables, that in turn is fed from the Banridge RGB scart switcher, which itself has the relevant RGB consoles feeding it.
    I might take out the crappy Philips crt I've got up there and put in an additional 29" Trini, if I can mount it on its side, for Tate mode shrimps.

mmmmm tate mode shrimps...

Vertical-Display-of-Shrimp-Shooters.jpg

Is that off ebay or those sites above? Delivery from that first site (not the NI one) is 40 quid, that sound right?

Depending where they are you could get BigIan or Keith to pick it up and grab it at one of the pinball meets :cool:

Depending where they are you could get BigIan or Keith to pick it up and grab it at one of the pinball meets :cool:

Or a Road trip with Krispy Kreme doughnuts on the way!

Just find it hard to play a game with no sounds.

Use headphones with the megadrive.
    I was thinking when you find a way to split the signal you could flip the top 2 monitors upside down and try flip the image right way up.
    So the buttons would be on the top and bottom making the frames closer :cool:

mmmmm tate mode shrimps...

Vertical-Display-of-Shrimp-Shooters.jpg

Shmups!

But, hmmm... shrimps.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Another one today.

HqGS8Pdh.jpg

UCTxTmTh.jpg

r8BpExLh.jpg

I don't know what the purpose of that poster was, but I like it. Kinda wish it had the map of London though, like what the PAL copies got.

That game was terribly maligned at the time, but I bought it on release and really enjoyed it.
    I suppose it was riding on the GTA III crest at the time, but it's setting was suited to the action and, for me, it was a cracking game, played it to the end.
    The sequel though, didn't enjoy it as much, I think I was spoiled by GTA:VC, which was released the following year from The Getaway, and it redefined what one could expect from open world games.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I also bought that on release and enjoyed it at the time. Controls were super clunky but if you are at all familiar with the geography of London it was really novel at the time having it mapped out in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I thought the original was white difficult, I enjoyed Black Monday more but I never finished it. I think the difficulty spiked towards the end, something about breaking into an office for a laptop maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So I got my Retron 5 the other day.
    I cleaned it up and I've ordered some dielectric grease for the pins (to help with potential sticking cart problems)
    I've updated it to the latest firmware etc. and I've been playing sonic - it looks gorgeous on my gaming TV (it's just a HD Ready 32" I bought second hand).
    My 2 girls are also loving sonic.
    The controller is pretty pants as reported, but it'll do for now - I'm gonna fish out my original megadrive controllers from the attic.
    So far I'm really happy with it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I got one a while back too. I know some 'purists' that criticize its emulation, which is fair enough, but I love being able to play Super Famicom games with English patches on it - just picked up Super Mario RPG for a pittance compared to the US copy.

Being able to load saves onto carts from it too is so handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,055 ✭✭✭Doge

I love the Getaway. I honestly think it was much more than a "GTA clone" as it's style and story surpassed any of the GTA games.

It was very dark, violent and stylish and had some of the best head animations at the time.

I'd rather go back and play it over any of the GTA games, I'm sick of their formula by now.

It's a shame the Getaway 3 never came to light, the closest thing we have now is The London Heist and the upcoming Blood and Truth for PSVR.

Doge wrote: »
    It's a shame the Getaway 3 never came to light, the closest thing we have now is The London Heist and the upcoming Blood and Truth for PSVR.

The latter of which were developed by the same crowd that did The Getaway, no less. I'm a massive advocate for The Getaway - a huge defender for it. Personally it was a novelty for me to be able to play a game that was set in Britain on this level. Granted I'm from outside of Glasgow but the roads/police cars/signs were all familiar.

It also educated me on London's central map - because of The Getaway I now know geographically where most of London's major landmarks are located, without having even being there... the only thing I need to do now is actually visit the place one day, but I digress.. :pac:

Love this game. Talking about it now is putting me in the mind to play a couple of levels on it. :D

zKfr7lc.jpg

Went into CEX yesterday with the intention of spending roughly a fiver on a PS3 game, ended up spending €18 on the Hitman HD Trilogy.

WWF War Zone came through the letterbox this morning. Not a scratch on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

This arrived last week from Play-Asia and it's the first game in the Psikyo Collection series for the Switch. It contains Strikers 1945, SOL Divide, Samurai Aces, and Gunbird. Volume 2 is out next month and that has Strikers 1945 part II, Sengoku Blade, Gunbird 2, and Dragon Blaze on it. I've only played a couple of the games so far but it does play really well.

43914256_2281273481944983_6079739966249646367_n.jpg?se=7&ig_cache_key=MTg5NDQxNzE1MzI4NzA5NTk5NQ%3D%3D.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

i've preordered the 2nd just for dragon blaze , likeing the home screen though o/\

geotrig wrote: »
    i've preordered the 2nd just for dragon blaze , likeing the home screen though o/\

I still have to order that one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. There's loads of different options for Tate display and screen filters.

Are they all already released digitally?
    I own most of them but the physical versions looks so good!

I think I remember reading that they were released individually at some stage. I can't remember where I read it so it must have been a while ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

New NES game.

IMAG0115.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement