Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

geotrig wrote: »
    fixed that for you ;)

Left 4 final fights behind. Almost instant regret after leaving. But I'll be back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

beejee wrote: »
    Left 4 final fights behind. Almost instant regret after leaving. But I'll be back!

:eek: I need a final fight back in my life if you go back ,i need to continue my love/hate relationship with the game ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,211 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd also love one of those Final Fights if there are a few going :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've already got Final Fight, it's those pesky A boards you need to get, although I've 1 worker:D.

Actually if you find any pit fighters DO leave them all behind !:D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I've already got Final Fight, it's those pesky A boards you need to get, although I've 1 worker:D.

Yes I was going to say the same thing. CPS1 A boards are hard to come by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,211 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's sad really, one of the best arcade systems of all time and they seem to be dying :(

I've two working ones that I've to interchange games between as my other A boards have packed it in.

All duly noted on final fights :) Lets see how it all goes. Thats a good point about the cps a boards, getting harder to come by now.

While I thought my day off would be messing around playing games, ive spent more time testing stuff. Has to be done I suppose!

Booted up raiden, 100%. The only surprise was that it was raiden 2. No big deal, great game either way :)

Airbuster has driven me up the wall, still getting scrambled graphics after fiddling with power supply and cleaning and reseating chips etc. Its so close, but its getting put on the long finger now.

Rtype I didn't bother washing/cleaning so much. Got most of the dubious looking grime off it. After airbuster, I was pleasantly surprised to find it fully playable and sound/music 100% (great music!). But the graphics are garbled, got to the end level boss, cool stuff :). This one can definitely be rescued (not so sure on airbuster).

I'll clean rtype and inspect then that's that for today :)

DSC-1061.jpg

DSC-1059.jpg

Quick question. Another board I was testing has thrown up an interesting problem.

Connected to the supergun, when I power it up the red light on the supergun goes on, then immediately off...?!

Any guess as to what this could be? Its like theres a feedback of power and the supergun is turning off as a safety measure?

Its a game that requires minus 5v, and that's something I never bothered to connect to the superguns power supply. But I doubt that would have that effect? Rastan is the same (iirc), so you don't get sound, but it wouldn't reset the supergun surely.

Quick question. Another board I was testing has thrown up an interesting problem.

Connected to the supergun, when I power it up the red light on the supergun goes on, then immediately off...?!

Any guess as to what this could be? Its like theres a feedback of power and the supergun is turning off as a safety measure?

Its a game that requires minus 5v, and that's something I never bothered to connect to the superguns power supply. But I doubt that would have that effect? Rastan is the same (iirc), so you don't get sound, but it wouldn't reset the supergun surely.

its probably shorting out somewhere or maybe a power hungry board ,whats the metere reading is it definitely Jamma ?...-5v is only used to drive sound sections and isnt needed for testing as such. unless you are testing the sound

• Advertisement

its probably shorting out somewhere or maybe a power hungry board ,whats the metere reading is it definitely Jamma ?...-5v is only used to drive sound sections and isnt needed for testing as such. unless you are testing the sound

Ah Ive put everything away afterall, im done! I'll let it annoy me at some other stage :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If the led on the supergun goes off then the 5V supply has been cut off (supergun has no logic to control this), so the pcb is drawing too much power or its got a short on it and the PSU is going into shutdown.

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's sad really, one of the best arcade systems of all time and they seem to be dying :(

I've two working ones that I've to interchange games between as my other A boards have packed it in.

I've had my own theory on this for years and yes while we are losing some A boards to being old and that ,I reckon a lot of the cps1 boards led a hard live, handled poorly and thrown about a bit. I remember seeing an op way back taking a sf2 pcb out of a cab and pretty much lashing it about the place and i wouldn't say that was unique in how most of these where handled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

just received a cool little test/review version of a device Porchy of jammarcade.net is making.

It's PAD dumper and writer too. Plugs in directly onto an arduino mega and he's made the software to allow to dump those annoying PAL chips. They are rarely included in the mame romsets and so far the only limited archive has been jammarcade.

20190225_125619.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks like a wide DIL package though ? Looks a pretty handy project :)

I've been mucking about this one with mixed results. Having something to plug onto an ardunio would certainly be handier !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

BGOllie wrote: »
    just received a cool little test/review version of a device Porchy of jammarcade.net is making.

It's PAD dumper and writer too. Plugs in directly onto an arduino mega and he's made the software to allow to dump those annoying PAL chips. They are rarely included in the mame romsets and so far the only limited archive has been jammarcade.

20190225_125619.jpg

where can you but them, I take it there is an adapter to use the more common 20pin chips or its on the reverse of the board?

yeah you'll need a universal 24 pin zif socket (the ones with the narrow center gap) to go in the IC socket so it'll do all sizes ... and the arduino of course.

It's not for sale right now. he's only sending a few to a handful of people to test for now.
    I've sent him some pals for his archive in the past and I still have a few boards that have undumped pals, so now I just need to send him the files to archive. Apparently Caius has been testing it extensively and is pretty happy about it.

It's been an ongoing project for a while : http://www.jammarcade.net/arduino-pal-cracker/
    It's still a work in progress but he's warming up to the idea of making it available soon . fingers crossed

I've had my own theory on this for years and yes while we are losing some A boards to being old and that ,I reckon a lot of the cps1 boards led a hard live, handled poorly and thrown about a bit. I remember seeing an op way back taking a sf2 pcb out of a cab and pretty much lashing it about the place and i wouldn't say that was unique in how most of these where handled.

It's that CPS-A-01 Asic chip on the A board that fails. This one in particular has a high failure rate nowadays (exact cause is uncertain, but it could well be corrosion, heat, delamination...etc) Those custom chips were a great idea at the time since they encapsulated a lot of function (in this case scrolling, layers, palettes and related memory transfers ... ) but since no replacement are made , once they fail, the only way to replace them is to scavenge them from another board.
    a single chip FPGA replacement hasn't been an option so far due to pin compatibility (not to mention the soldering part and prohibitive cost)

Ultimately, most boards with customs SMD chips like these are doomed to fail at some point, I got a few boards with custom ics over the years but I stay well away from them nowadays as they're a pricey time bomb :(

Yeah, as said I said their handling and life in general is one of the reasons I theorise the a chip has succumbed to failure, but again only a theoryand at this stage in their life would be very hard to prove.
    I thought I say a boot at one point of pang 3 or the like that may have had cps A chip, that i think might have been a suitable replacement but I think I may have given it away a few years ago as when I had suitable A board to try a swap.... (Not that was confident of doing it :lol:) I didn't have it anymore.

BGOllie wrote: »
    Ultimately, most boards with customs SMD chips like these are doomed to fail at some point, I got a few boards with custom ics over the years but I stay well away from them nowadays as they're a pricey time bomb :(
    This is the sad reality :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Keep an eye on utsource.net for the cps a-01 (DL-0311-10001) as thousands of b-21's (DL-0921-10014) suddenly appeared on that site a few months ago (the other custom chip from the b board).

Is there any way to safeguard a working A board? Fan and heatsink mod for example?

I don't think, I don't think the runs particularly hot from vague recollection of faffing aimlessly at one year's ago :lol:

Neighbour was good enough to hand me my parcel this evening, had forgotten about these :)

Burning rangers was a great game back in the day (pushed the blockiness to the limit though!) and has a fantastic intro. Frankenstein is a real oddity, im not expecting much, but Tim Curry hamming it up to the 9's cant be all bad :P

Picture isn't the best but theyre minty mc mintington. Just do it, just burning raangEEERRRSSS!

burning-rangers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Burning rangers was great, loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Ok One more thing I bought....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/atari-800-xl-computer-vintage-retro/113618289389?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

has no power supply, but pretty sure I have one In the attic......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My Strike collection is almost complete.
    These 2 came this morning.

So far, I now have
    • Desert Strike
    • Jungle Strike
    • Soviet Strike
    • Nuclear Strike
    All I need now is;
    • Urban Strike
    • Future Cop L.A.P.D. (NTSC)

3ijmmCDl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,781 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hate desert strike.

It was the first game I ever rented. I hardly played it because my dad got addicted. He was swearing so much at the game that my mam banned us from renting games ever again.

Still love the series despite that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hate desert strike.

It was the first game I ever rented. I hardly played it because my dad got addicted. He was swearing so much at the game that my mam banned us from renting games ever again.

Still love the series despite that! :)

That was........dark :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Neighbour was good enough to hand me my parcel this evening, had forgotten about these :)

Burning rangers was a great game back in the day (pushed the blockiness to the limit though!) and has a fantastic intro. Frankenstein is a real oddity, im not expecting much, but Tim Curry hamming it up to the 9's cant be all bad :P

Picture isn't the best but theyre minty mc mintington. Just do it, just burning raangEEERRRSSS!

burning-rangers.jpg

I would love to get myself a copy of burning rangers but it ain't cheap. In the meantime I just got myself a PC Engine Core Grafx. Pics coming soon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Firefox11 wrote: »
    I would love to get myself a copy of burning rangers but it ain't cheap.

I got my copy from the bargain bin in Dixons. There was a load of copies, they were selling them off for a couple of quid each

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement