Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Another batch of jammacon boards to be built, changed pcb supplier and decided to try out the black silkscreen. Think it looks pretty good with the gold plating :)

47699213751_41a9a16212_z.jpg

And how can I buy one of those from you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

But you don't really need one, your candy+pi pretty much has all the console stuff already covered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Links Awakening DX is great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But you don't really need one, your candy+pi pretty much has all the console stuff already covered :)

But... But... What if I really really need one, for some reason?

So, got this little beauty this morning,

It's Pac-Man Vs. for the Gamecube.

"But Ciderman", I hear you cry, "you dimwit, isn't that available to everyone and their grandmammy at this point in time?".

"Yes, but this is the version released in Japan via Club Nintendo, and it's all sealed and stuff"

And a lovely little bit of Pac-Man stuff it is too, but tiny, the envelope is only slightly bigger than the diameter of the GC disc itself.

VR0U8Tzl.jpg

UQs2DULl.jpg

• Advertisement

Got a good deal on these, somehow managed to join the seemingly overpopulated club of MVS collectors who has more than one copy of Puzzle Bobble.

4fu0INA.jpg?1

AOF2, great game

6qes3cv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, got this little beauty this morning,

It's Pac-Man Vs. for the Gamecube.

"But Ciderman", I hear you cry, "you dimwit, isn't that available to everyone and their grandmammy at this point in time?".

"Yes, but this is the version released in Japan via Club Nintendo, and it's all sealed and stuff"

And a lovely little bit of Pac-Man stuff it is too, but tiny, the envelope is only slightly bigger than the diameter of the GC disc itself.

VR0U8Tzl.jpg

Very cool. I have a similar mini sleeve for P.No.3 on gamecube. They gave it out in the run-up to the release date in Game. One of the "Capcom 5" at the time.

It was a seriously unfinished game, but I still liked it a lot. Could have been fantastic with a bit more polish. Still remember the name too, Vanessa Z. Schneider!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I couldn't get on with it. The main missions were ok but you had to grind really boring side missions for currency for upgrades which killed it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I couldn't get on with it. The main missions were ok but you had to grind really boring side missions for currency for upgrades which killed it for me.

I know what you mean. I Know what they were going for, but they didn't quite pull it off. I look at it like the repetitive gameplay of space invaders (crossed with rhythm-action). But it set itself up as a pure action single player.

Unfinished, but as gamecube exclusives go, you have to try it. When it works well its fantastic, dancing/acrobatics in-between 50 laser beams and bombs. Would love to see a sequel come out of nowhere, lots of potential, and schneiders "assets" shouldn't go to waste :P

Plus I forgot its a shinji Mikami too, so theres that :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I used to think Shinji Mikami was Miyamoto levels of infallible until PN03. Really not enjoyed any of his output since he left Capcom.

Then much later I realised all of his good Capcom work was with future members of Clover/Platinum games and it's starting to look like they were more influential in the games. He was an advisor on them with a future Clover/Platinum person acting as planner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Got a good deal on these, somehow managed to join the seemingly overpopulated club of MVS collectors who has more than one copy of Puzzle Bobble.

4fu0INA.jpg?1

AOF2, great game

6qes3cv.jpg

They look so good. How many do you have now?

I will take one Puzzle Bobble off your hands for cash if you like. Start my collection.

eddhorse wrote: »
    They look so good. How many do you have now?

About 20 now. Been grabbing two a month, just the cheaper carts. Ill be going after some juicer ones soon, I really want to get a copy of Garou & Last Resort. Then again, some of the best games on the Neo Geo are the cheapest. You pay more for the rarer, not so good titles!

eddhorse wrote: »
    I will take one Puzzle Bobble off your hands for cash if you like. Start my collection.

I have traded it already, sorry! Youll get Puzzle Bobble for 10 pounds anywhere and I guarantee if you start collecting MVS, you will end up with more than one copy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tricky thing about Puzzle Bobble is getting a legit copy - took me a few goes until I finally got one without dodgy ROMs on the PCB.

Very true. Many boots about. This site is a great resource https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Picked these up in A&C Games in Toronto, €22 for the Saturn controller which isn't too bad.

Didn't get any pictures unfortunately, spent enough time browsing, it was very warm and the GF was getting bored :P Unfortunately the selection of Saturn and Dreamcast games was rather small, so even less Japanese games available.

There was a lovely boxed Master System, the version with the gun I believe. No dents, tears, spills, creases etc. €220 though...

p2BchKR.jpg

Master of the Universe

Very true. Many boots about. This site is a great resource https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

Yeah that's site has been a life saver, especially for some of the odder ones.

Ever see Metal Slug 5? You'd swear the legit copy is a boot due to the quality of the plastic shell (it's identical to a Garou boot I have) but it's legit and how that game was released.

There are a few more like that, you get a lot of weirdly shelled carts and then some actual PCBs look like they're boots but they were just oddly built in the factory. Total minefield! Never really know until you crack them open.

Luckily it's mainly the big games that were bootlegged though. Obscure boards are far more likely to be original.

Still, heart in mouth moment when you finally have a shell open and are browsing that site for PCB scans - I managed to pick up a legit Pulstar a few years ago, think I punched the air when the PCB scans checked out :D

I've a new Richard Hutchinson Vectrex flashcart on the way, this one is the SD based one, which will make it far easier to manage.
    My previous one needs a serial port adapter and flashing software to use, still pretty good though.
    The new one was $100 shipped, so should have it next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice works, I find the vectrex is easy to have a quick fix no messing.
    That multicart option sounds good.
    Still lots of new homebrew games coming out.

I'm hoping they'll all make their way for download over time.
    Stramash Zone looks incredible, but it might be a purchase rather than a download, given the functions of the overlay.

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just got this in the post today, really looking forward to trying it out.

I've my Snes and Megadrive both sitting on top of monitors, so this'll help alleviate that annoying cable running across monitor screen problem :D

For anyone interested, yes they do come with the receiver, so its an all in one kind of thing.

thumbnail-IMG-20190416-130314853.jpg

Managed to get a proper sit down to play with this - it's gorgeous! Can't note any kind of a lag at all. It's super responsive and the D pad is really lovely. It's exactly what I've been waiting years for tbh.

The down side, I appear to have one of the earlier units that had connection issues. The connection pairs and disconnects several times before securing a decent connection. Fine if you're just playing one game, a bit of a pain in the arse if you're switching between games on a flash cart (so powering the console on and off) - each power off/on of the console requires you to go through the annoyance of trying to pair again.

There has been a firmware update to fix this problem, however it requires updating both the receiver (which you've to open up) and the controller.

Will give it a go this weekend to see if it solves it.

https://www.retrorgb.com/how-to-update-your-m30-2-4g-if-youre-having-connection-issues.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Managed to get a proper sit down to play with this - it's gorgeous! Can't note any kind of a lag at all. It's super responsive and the D pad is really lovely. It's exactly what I've been waiting years for tbh.

The down side, I appear to have one of the earlier units that had connection issues. The connection pairs and disconnects several times before securing a decent connection. Fine if you're just playing one game, a bit of a pain in the arse if you're switching between games on a flash cart (so powering the console on and off) - each power off/on of the console requires you to go through the annoyance of trying to pair again.

There has been a firmware update to fix this problem, however it requires updating both the receiver (which you've to open up) and the controller.

https://www.retrorgb.com/how-to-update-your-m30-2-4g-if-youre-having-connection-issues.html

I haven't noticed any issues with mine on my megadrive and retron5 - I must have been lucky (and I got mine as soon as they were released as I had it on pre-order with Amazon)

It's a lovely bit of kit - I really like it !

Master of the Universe

Strange that it seems to be a problem on some and not others, you'd imagine a firmware issue would be universal.

When I turn the console on, the controller connection light will go blue as if it's connected to the receiver, then start blinking on and off for up to about a minute, connecting and dropping over and over.

I suppose it's about time I invested in a Megadrive flash cart that doesn't involve turning the console off and on again to switch games. (I think I've a super early Everdrive too that has that 5v / 3.3v issue which can damage the console)

Strange that it seems to be a problem on some and not others, you'd imagine a firmware issue would be universal.

When I turn the console on, the controller connection light will go blue as if it's connected to the receiver, then start blinking on and off for up to about a minute, connecting and dropping over and over.

I suppose it's about time I invested in a Megadrive flash cart that doesn't involve turning the console off and on again to switch games. (I think I've a super early Everdrive too that has that 5v issue which can damage the console)
    I've the Everdrive X3 so I have to reset after I save to make sure the save is written.

I'd love the top level Everdrive that has full save state support

Master of the Universe

I didn't know you had to do that to save in the entire time I've had an Everdrive :pac:

I see the X5 and X7 both save automatically. Looks like the X7 is the only one with the menu to change games without switching the console off, fairly pricey though!

I didn't know you had to do that to save in the entire time I've had an Everdrive :pac:

I see the X5 and X7 both save automatically. Looks like the X7 is the only one with the menu to change games without switching the console off, fairly pricey though!

Yeah - it's got a fairly hefty price tag alright.

I just this minute ordered an ED64 Plus for my N64 - £48.99 delivered from China - I'll report back on it when I get it (probably in a month)

O1S1N, do those Genesis pads work with Mister FPGA? Im thinkin of grabbing a setup

Master of the Universe

Does Mister FPGA do bluetooth?

The one I have is a wireless controller, so needs the wireless receiver. However I think 8bitdo do a bluetooth version too?

Master of the Universe

Okay so, I ran the above fix on the controller (literally a 3-5 minute job) - and it worked!

Was a bit unsure as to what level of difference I'd see - it's night and day. The moment you turn the console on the controller is paired, there's absolutely no delay at all.

I've switched it on and off a few times and it's a rock solid connection. Dare I say it, slightly better than the Snes bluetooth connection.

Now to buy a second! :D

I got the new Richard Hutchinson Vec-Multi SD based cart for the Vectrex today.
    And, after opening the pack, to my surprise it had a pre-installed micro-SD.
    With testing it seems to have almost every official, un-released and homebrew game there is!
    Also, it has a built in led that lights it up during use, which is cool!
    $100 shipped, and well worth it, for us Veccy nuts!

Missing software is the paid for stuff, like Stramash Zone, but the rom will be released in time and can be added to the selection on the card.

Which is great.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    I've one on the way.

ballpark how much did you spend all in? Did you get a ram module?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement