Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

beejee wrote: »
    About that rainbow islands boot, I got it working a little better. All colour is restored. Plays fine and sounds fine. Only one issue remaining, the character sprites have lines going through them. See in the pic below.

rainbowislands.jpg

rainbowislands2.jpg

so if youre still interested in giving it a shot to get back to 100%, its all yours. 25 quid posted sound okay?

Or if you pass its open to whoever :)

PM'd I can fix that, I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

PM'd I can fix that, I think :)

Replied there, get your address to me ASAP and it'll be in the post today.

Also, if you wanted to really test yourself, have a look at this http://www.jammarcade.net/jumping-to-rainbow-islands-part-4/

Good luck :)

Replied there, get your address to me ASAP and it'll be in the post today.

Also, if you wanted to really test yourself, have a look at this http://www.jammarcade.net/jumping-to-rainbow-islands-part-4/

Good luck :)

Already way ahead of ye, read that and have the roms

Already way ahead of ye, read that and have the roms

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

porchy did that mod a while back . he's on my discord server too if you want to ask him more details. I don't think he's tested it on actual hardware still to this day

edit: Just asked him and he did test it on hardware :)

• Advertisement

Board arrived today, yay, I’ll get fixing it this weekend. Then move onto the conversion
    BGOllie wrote: »
    porchy did that mod a while back . he's on my discord server too if you want to ask him more details. I don't think he's tested it on actual hardware still to this day

edit: Just asked him and he did test it on hardware :)
    Have you a link to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

giphy.gif

I left my phone down on a table with the screen unlocked open on this page.

Came back to see the above Jack gif looping on my screen - scared the **** out of me!

Board arrived today, yay, I’ll get fixing it this weekend. Then move onto the conversion

Have you a link to him?

Wow, nice and quick, I like it!

Have you a link to him?

You should do a fix log here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Have you a link to him?

it's my own discord server for both channels. I link it in most of my videos :)https://discord.gg/28RwgQx

Porchy's quite active there & there's a section there just for Jammaarcade.net

• Advertisement

Next up the main menu, the buzz was just a poor ground on the edge connector

Good stuff! I didn't even notice a buzz, but then my supergun and tv don't seem to get along, whatever weird effect the combination has.

Sometimes the tv will actually turn itself off when getting the signal, and every now and then the picture just disappears for a second or two. When Im running a higher voltage sometimes I have to manually find the signal. Im pretty sure its the television at fault.

Weird, whatever is happpening!

Ah I think my harness is just old, I scrubbed the edge connector and perfect now, lots of roms to burn to convert it to Rainbow Islands

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not quite retro but ordered Toejam & Earl Back in the Groove today, a physical copy for the Switch, from Limited Run Games.
    Wasn't too expensive, around €40 or so, and it'll be nice alongside the other TJ&E games for the MD and Xbox.
    toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove-limited-run-games-nintendo-switch-cover-limitedgamenews.com_.jpg?ssl=1
    TJ&E: Back in the Groove

Oh yes! After a LONG time searching high and low Ive snagged monster maulers :)

I wasn't willing to pay the stupid prices for the couple available on ebay and im glad I didn't! Very rare, but no games are worth that much to me. This brings me way back to fun times in the arcades.

Most wont get the game and see it as a knockoff of streetfighter, but its genuinely fantastic, a parody game that's half 1-on-1 and half scrolling beat-em-up. Dotted with loads of references from other konami games, music from Salamander, enemies from gradius and so on.

Great graphics and music is top notch, and you have to love the Japanese singer with the title tune. The Japanese name for the game is "dadandarn" which is a spoof thing that's added to the likes of power ranger shows over there. A cult-ish game if ever there was one.

DSC-1396.jpg

DSC-1400.jpg

DSC-1409.jpg

DSC-1404.jpg

Heres a video of the gameplay, a decent run-through :)

Noticed something strange. The YouTube video above is definitely zoomed out quite a bit, I'd say a good 20%+

The sprites are much larger in the real game (not my geometry). Also missing transparencies. Mame has weird effects!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mane has never managed to accurately emulate that Konami board. Sunset riders, turtles, moo mesa and others all have issues and visual bugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Mane has never managed to accurately emulate that Konami board. Sunset riders, turtles, moo mesa and others all have issues and visual bugs.

321llc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That run-through video above was posted four years ago, I thought many of those bugs had now been fixed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll have to watch that video at home as I'm not sure what it fixes but even the visual elements on that board were off. I've not used mame in a while in fairness but I remember for years background layers were given the wrong priority.

For instance on the second stage sprites would pass in front of foreground objects like the poles going past and the boss would appear in front of the crates he was meant to be behind.

Actually thinking about it, I think Monster Maulers is built on the XexeX board which had loads of issues when I played it last on Mame. Used the old engineering tactic of more processors/video processors = more power. That board was insanely complex though as it's one of the most advance 2D boards made at the time. Be interesting to see if it's more accurate now.

• Advertisement

It's an interesting thing all round. As fewer and fewer of these boards survive, the onus is on a very few people to make sure they are 100% emulated.

I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong whatsoever on that video I posted only for the fact I was using the monster maulers board at the same time.

And these are just casual observations of course. If you flick through the video to the water/liquid monster, you'll notice it "warps" into a puddle on the ground and moves beneath the player. The whole transparency effect is missing there. But who'd know that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I don't see any bugs about graphics on the mametesters page for this game (mmaulers)
    https://mametesters.org/view_all_bug_page.php?filter=90793

You could join that site and submit a bug report to the dev team

Gi joe which is on the same board didn't play well with mame either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh yes! After a LONG time searching high and low Ive snagged monster maulers :)

I wasn't willing to pay the stupid prices for the couple available on ebay and im glad I didn't! Very rare, but no games are worth that much to me. This brings me way back to fun times in the arcades.

Most wont get the game and see it as a knockoff of streetfighter, but its genuinely fantastic, a parody game that's half 1-on-1 and half scrolling beat-em-up. Dotted with loads of references from other konami games, music from Salamander, enemies from gradius and so on.

Great graphics and music is top notch, and you have to love the Japanese singer with the title tune. The Japanese name for the game is "dadandarn" which is a spoof thing that's added to the likes of power ranger shows over there. A cult-ish game if ever there was one.

DSC-1396.jpg[G]G]MG][IMG]https://i.ibb.co/QH92h2W/DSC-1404.jpg[/MG] Heres a video of the gameplay, a decent run-through :)[/img]
    Some of those animations are insane, great graphics for something Id never heard of, might give it a playthrough on the 360 tonight (thats a modded 360 with emulators not XBL btw)

I don't see any bugs about graphics on the mametesters page for this game (mmaulers)
    https://mametesters.org/view_all_bug_page.php?filter=90793

You could join that site and submit a bug report to the dev team

That's a bit too time intensive for me I'm afraid. If people want to start sending me games for free, like that Australian guru dude, then I'll consider it :p

Thargor wrote: »
    Some of those animations are insane, great graphics for something Id never heard of, might give it a playthrough on the 360 tonight (thats a modded 360 with emulators not XBL btw)

If a few more people are made aware of the game, mission accomplished! It has a couple different endings too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's an interesting thing all round. As fewer and fewer of these boards survive, the onus is on a very few people to make sure they are 100% emulated.

I'd say 1:1 dumping of the boards should be the true priority. The emulation and understanding of the boards can come later, once we have the original contents of the chips. If the info on those chips is lost, and the boards are extinct, then we're fecked.

With a lot of boards though, there's some serious security to deal with in order to dump the contents of chips. The MAME decapping project is there, but it's a timely and costly process.

Master of the Universe

Well here's a blast from the past (6 years ago, can you believe it!)

Saw this pop up on ebay last week - really don't need another Dreamcast stick but how could I not nab it :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056933316

o1s1n wrote: »
    Well here's a blast from the past (6 years ago, can you believe it!)

Saw this pop up on ebay last week - really don't need another Dreamcast stick but how could I not nab it :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056933316

Never hear from him any more.
    talk about going balls deep in a hobby and burning out

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Funny how it happens alright, I guess sometimes priorities shift and folks have a 'why do I have all this old crap lying about my house?' epiphany.

...I am yet to ever reach that stage :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement