Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    Funny how it happens alright, I guess sometimes priorities shift and folks have a 'why do I have all this old crap lying about my house?' epiphany.

...I am yet to ever reach that stage :pac:

I'm waiting for the midlife crisis to kick in, sell up and spend it all on a hair transplant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Funny how it happens alright, I guess sometimes priorities shift and folks have a 'why do I have all this old crap lying about my house?' epiphany.

...I am yet to ever reach that stage :pac:

I got there recently. Renting and moving job all the time sucks and the eye of Sauron has grown stronger. So most stuff is in the attic and I've installed Retroarch :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I currently have 9 arcade cabs and 4 pinballs in my house. Not to mention all the other stuff in my attic room. It feels like I’m living in an arcade at the minute. Which is grand if I didn’t have a wife and 3 kids living in it too. I’m hoping to move In a few years, If I don’t I’ll have to have a major cull. There’s so much stuff just sitting on shelves not being played. I defo think Collectors like us have a hoarding issue, I can’t bring myself to get rid of stuff.

Every once in a while I sit looking at it trying to think of what I can let go to make room and the answer is always nothing. Haha

You know who to call when the time come :D:D
    The fact i've been trying to move for at least 2 years has definitely kept me from buying and gave me a solid reason to sell some pins.
    That will all be coming to an end very very soon thought:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I got there recently. Renting and moving job all the time sucks and the eye of Sauron has grown stronger. So most stuff is in the attic and I've installed Retroarch :(

Just make sure you seal it all up well and then just forget about it for a while - I did that for years and years, it's absolutely amazing taking everything out of storage and putting it on display in a permanent location. You start finding really cool stuff you'd completely forgotten you had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm just looking forward to when I have some money to buy another pinball. A wedding, doing up a house and a new baby are really expensive things to pack into 2 years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just make sure you seal it all up well and then just forget about it for a while - I did that for years and years, it's absolutely amazing taking everything out of storage and putting it on display in a permanent location. You start finding really cool stuff you'd completely forgotten you had.

I really wish I could wrap everything up. I have most in big storage boxes but my parents have reorganized the attic about three times which is basically shove my games all the way at the back and bury them under everything. It's really annoying when you are looking for a specific game :( In the last move I put stuff up there temporarily which I'm actually using and then they buried that.

Saving for my own place now. Either that or I'm going to have to find a girl with roadside frontage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Well here's a blast from the past (6 years ago, can you believe it!)

Saw this pop up on ebay last week - really don't need another Dreamcast stick but how could I not nab it :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056933316

At least you know it's a quality product you're getting when buying from him, lovely stick that is. Also, eBay is still a thing? Haven't been on there in years. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Saving for my own place now. Either that or I'm going to have to find a girl with roadside frontage.

Best of luck! Can we finally get you to join the candy club when you do? :pac:
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    At least you know it's a quality product you're getting when buying from him, lovely stick that is. Also, eBay is still a thing? Haven't been on there in years. :D

Definitely, he really has a good eye, matching the start button yellow with the stick shaft and then the blue with the VMU really works.

Few pics;

IMG-20190530-184504742.jpg
    IMG-20190530-184558139.jpg

Nice low angle artsy one in memory of our polyethylene sniffing friend. :D

IMG-20190530-184709199.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got another monitor for my mongrel Naomi from Mr BrownFinger :)

The difference is amazing compared to the old one, night & day !! Tube was knackered in it, but at least now I've a good spare chassis as well.

47967927403_510fbd3633_c.jpg

47967928038_87d6112e3e_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Never hear from him any more.
    talk about going balls deep in a hobby and burning out

I think he rage quit boards after a parcel destined to the parcel wizard depot in Antrim was shipped to the wrong location back when parcel wizard first started.
    He put the blame on them and expected them to be responsible and a lot of people on bargain alerts called him out, and he promptly closed his account.
    His content was great but I remember him picking on 2 Arcade and Retro members so lost respect for him after that.

Looking good.
    You should really thank keithgeo! He picked them up.
    I just tested and cleaned them up a little.
    Still haven't decided what to do with my one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    I think he rage quit boards after a parcel destined to the parcel wizard depot in Antrim was shipped to the wrong location back when parcel wizard first started.
    He put the blame on them and expected them to be responsible and a lot of people on bargain alerts called him out, and he promptly closed his account.
    His content was great but I remember him picking on 2 Arcade and Retro members so lost respect for him after that.

It was a pity.
    I suspect he still has a look here now and then.
    He bailed before and I bent over backwards to get him to contribute again, before another whatever occurred and he was gone.
    But we've had plenty of regulars come and go over the years, many missed but we rumble on, meandering our way through the arcade and retro landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

The great Tesco sale of the 21st century didn't bode well for him either. A few forum regulars didn't appreciate him showing pics of x4/5 Metroid Primes in order for him to flip for profit (something along those lines anyway). When people objected, he got a bit upset about it iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Inviere wrote: »
    The great Tesco sale of the 21st century didn't bode well for him either. A few forum regulars didn't appreciate him showing pics of x4/5 Metroid Primes in order for him to flip for profit (something along those lines anyway). When people objected, he got a bit upset about it iirc.

Yeah I remember that too. Ian was a really nice guy when I met him anyway, still have his zine on my bookshelf. I do hate seeing people take flak online and take it to heart (this coming from someone who has received multiple death threats and wishing death to my whole family within the last few months just for being a butcher :D)

I like to keep this image handy

1c1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Butcher???? Your dead pal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ian was a really nice guy when I met him

Yep, always came across as a nice guy in my experience. Knew his **** too, and very creative. As Cidey says, some folks come and go over the years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

He and another arcade and retro forum member put down a offer on something on adverts before and it was upto the seller to post it to the other guy or meet Ian in person and sell it to him,.and on the forum he got pushy and told the other guy "back off, it's mine." Even though it was upto the seller which offer to go with.

The second incident was when people were discussing selling their stuff on the forum he said when selling items people are going to try and make as much money as they can, and when Stveve X2 disagreed he replied "Bull****" even though Steve is well known for selling his items at a loss or a great discount just to pass things on.

He just seemed a bit greedy and possessive when buying and selling.

That's what made me lose respect for him, and I don't forget things so easily. Anyways still miss his content despite those little flaws.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's what made me lose respect for him, and I don't forget things so easily. Anyways still miss his content despite those little flaws.

In fairness to all, it wouldn't take terribly long to do a dig on anyone and find posts that might be regrettable, in hindsight.

And sometimes we forget to use an inside voice and post with no filter.
    It's certainly not that common here, in the A&R forum, but there's more of it elsewhere.
    I guess folk have different value systems too, and that can be difficult to accomodate sometimes.
    But, overall, the A&R forum and it's most important component the mod users, are a great bunch.
    So, I say, well done and give yourselves a Pat on the back!
    Radio-Dj-Pat-Sharp-interview-career-life-Tony-Padman-595941.jpg

Yeah.... that first ever post of mine that o1s1n found wasn't the most flattering either :)

• Advertisement

Yeah.... that first ever post of mine that o1s1n found wasn't the most flattering either :)

Ah now, Retr0...
    Just the first post?

AvP... the superior Wolfenstein game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

The last 2 pages are proper down memory lane, how long is A&R doing now Cidey, surely a good 10 years or so now?

Another that I dont see much is KeithGeo, or have you rebranded on here. You had some amazing posts over the years mate.

The majority are good people, we all have different circumstances thou and it can vary from year to year. I know I'm a terror for not posting often but I do love all yere Bants. Keep em coming, ye get me thru the odd few minutes at work to have a sneaky look at the A&R and Nintendo board forums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

kevin2me wrote: »
    Another that I dont see much is KeithGeo, or have you rebranded on here.

That’s myself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

That’s myself. ;)
    Ha I was thinking that but old age us getting to me...
    If blown your secret identity lol

On the topic of arcade gets I got Outrun2 SP repo artwork along with Egret 2 CP Marque and sude art this week. Giving one if my Atomiswaves a sex change ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

kevin2me wrote: »
    The last 2 pages are proper down memory lane, how long is A&R doing now Cidey, surely a good 10 years or so now?

Another that I dont see much is KeithGeo, or have you rebranded on here. You had some amazing posts over the years mate.
    I'm not sure who used to have what names now. Was gonna post" where's so and so €but worried about people changing names for a reason too.

I'm not sure who used to have what names now. Was gonna post" where's so and so €but worried about people changing names for a reason too.

I can't keep up, the Beers are a help though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Got the Firebird release of Chaos for the ZX Spectrum today, not a great copy, and lacking instruction sheet, but it'll do for now, and another Julian Gollop speccy game/version crossed off the list.

61887539-10219210930093462-1070631245475479552-o.jpg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Not strictly retro, but using it for retro - I got a Retrotink-2X that I'm currently using with my N64 (S-Video) and plan to use with my C-64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can't keep up, the Beers are a help though!
    Yes I love the agm of figuring out who's who at a beers tbf :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

New NES game. The Adventure Island - Part 2
    PAL A Italian cart.

IMAG0639.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement