Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

beejee wrote: »
    Picked up a soldering iron and flux core solder earlier, finally going to learn this stuff to resurrect some arcade boards (hopefully!) :)

Little tip, grab an old piece of electronics (old video player or the like) with a nice big board for you to practice on. Try de soldering a few bits / soldering a few bits on. You really want to practice before you go near your arcade boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Well! I have a dead air buster bootleg that's been kicked and thrown all over the shop. Decided to practice on it first.

Noticed that a chip was raised slightly to one side, checked underneath and someone never soldered it! So I soldered a couple legs for practice, expecting nothing (super sloppy)... And the bloody thing has signs of life! It's struggling to boot and I can make out writing in the background. There's a million to one chance this could be revived!

Also resoldered some legs on a jackal board, and now it's gone from 100% dead to booting too. Tells me one of the roms is bad.

Good start :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Little tip, grab an old piece of electronics (old video player or the like) with a nice big board for you to practice on. Try de soldering a few bits / soldering a few bits on. You really want to practice before you go near your arcade boards.

My old vhs and player collection are triggered by this:D

LOL, well I am a lover of most old tech but VHS is definitely one I dont mind going extinct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

LOL, well I am a lover of most old tech but VHS is definitely one I dont mind going extinct

I dont know, I see a lot of his video collection and I kinda want some of the old stuff too

• Advertisement

Thought this was nuked when I first tested it. Turns out after the ram/rom check, you have to press button 1 and 2 simultaneously to start, phew!

Imagine if the metal slug team made a final fight game, and that's undercover cops. Great beat-em up, full of the zany detail youd expect from that team. Great bosses too, first boss you fight with a trash compactor operating in the background, so if you can feck him into it, its an instant kill. But he can do it to you too!

Nods to other irem games like rtype, such a small tv playing it in the playfield. Cn maybe make it out in a picture I took (but its running off the tv, so not as clear as a cabinet monitor).

Couple more pcbs to find and im done, getting close :)

Undercover-cops2.jpg

Undercover-cops1.jpg

And a special award for anyone who can figure out whats being said when the game starts..."here she comes!" Hershey Cops!"....???? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

what games are you after out of curiosity ?

I'd say top of the list is splatterhouse and night slashers. Night slashers in particular is very scarce.

Bunch of others that I can live without but would like such as dungeons and dragons, metamorphic force, demons world, spiderman etc

After that it's cabinets only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Nice get ,
    There's loads of nightslashers about.lol .. I know cause I've missed out on it so much over the years, mainly due to the premium it's always carried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Picked up a soldering iron and flux core solder earlier, finally going to learn this stuff to resurrect some arcade boards (hopefully!) :)

Also on this, loads of good Vida on yt but more than anything ,practice practice practice x gazillion

• Advertisement

And buy a desoldering gun, and a hot air gun, and a ic tester and a rom programmer and don’t buy cheap solder and get some flux and ... the list never ends haha I’ve spent a fortune the last while.

Speaking of .. does anyone know of a cheap yolk that will test a tmm2063 out of socket ? or any ones the the cheap Chinese tester doesnt, its great but doesn’t test everything.

Is there another handy cheap tester out there I don’t know of ? This is the one i have at the minute

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332783091573

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I love Undercover Cops! Fantastic game. Did you pick that up in Ireland??

Between that, In The Hunt, Gunforce 2 and the Metal Slug games, some of those Irem/Nazca assets really saw a lot of use!

Gawwwdddamn!! I spent the last hour messing with a broken rtype bootleg, turn it on 20 times to garbled graphics, then 1 time it plays fine. Adjust the power up, then down, then a little more up, then down...driving me round the bend!

Took it all apart, cleaned it, noticed two legs on a chip that looked brownish, not terrible. Soldered one of the legs as a shot in the dark. Now it works everytime, over the moon :) That's the first board I can say I actually "fixed", even though it was a bit of blind luck. I was gonna stick it up for sale as nuked, but Ive decided against it. I'll hold onto it as a trophy instead :)

first-fixed-rtype.jpg

Ive fixed a couple lately too and its a great feeling when you get a dead board booting!

Ive fixed a couple lately too and its a great feeling when you get a dead board booting!

Oh definitely! I thought I was making headway on a jackal board, then a nice blob of solder went under a chip. And of course I don't have solder pump...few more tools to get :P

geotrig wrote: »
    Nice get ,
    There's loads of nightslashers about.lol .. I know cause I've missed out on it so much over the years, mainly due to the premium it's always carried.

Ive seen one for sale in the space of a year! They go in minutes, apparently. Gonna pin my luck on finding one. And a mint vertexer board too, why not :P

o1s1n wrote: »
    I love Undercover Cops! Fantastic game. Did you pick that up in Ireland??

Between that, In The Hunt, Gunforce 2 and the Metal Slug games, some of those Irem/Nazca assets really saw a lot of use!

Unfortunately not, I suppose you cant rely on finding everything in your back yard :(

I like those irem games (and the various teams involved), pumped out more than a few classics between them. Last thing I read about them was that they were back to pachinko machines, blergh!

Oh definitely! I thought I was making headway on a jackal board, then a nice blob of solder went under a chip. And of course I don't have solder pump...few more tools to get :P

dont waste your time with a manual one they are useless, i bought this and its great. saves a lot of time, not sure where i seen it first, maybe on Ollies videos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011873JQU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also get a hot air gun thing, i found you still need that to remove chips otherwise you might rip the traces off the board. im only at this a month or so really but ive done it! Im no expert on this stuff, still trying to pick it up myself. like was mentioned previously, there is nothing you cant learn these days watching youtube and with a bit of time. Im still trying to wrap my head around using a logic probe though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Unfortunately not, I suppose you cant rely on finding everything in your back yard :(

I like those irem games (and the various teams involved), pumped out more than a few classics between them. Last thing I read about them was that they were back to pachinko machines, blergh!

Yeah they've a fantastic aesthetic! I've had Gunforce 2 on my radar for years and years in particular, really hard to come by unfortunately. Only ever saw a few conversions come up on eBay.

I actually almost bought a Metal Slug pachinko machine a few years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a PlayStation and a silver phat PlayStation 2 off the GF. No idea if they work and there's only a PS2 controller and 1 AV cable between them. I'll have to give them a good scrub coming from a smoking household.

No photos because they're rough looking :P

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah they've a fantastic aesthetic! I've had Gunforce 2 on my radar for years and years in particular, really hard to come by unfortunately. Only ever saw a few conversions come up on eBay.

I actually almost bought a Metal Slug pachinko machine a few years ago :D

Geostorm looks the business alright :) Not so sure about a pachinko machine, unless its in a yakuza game!

Classic arcade beat-em up, Vendetta. Small enough pcb. Have a bunch of the 3/4 player arcade games, really need to get my hands on a konami 4 player cabinet.

To think I had both a simpsons and turtles cabinet parked outside the house, for 50 quid each, and it all went arseways...that's going to annoy me for at least another decade!!!! :P

vendetta1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

To think I had both a simpsons and turtles cabinet parked outside the house, for 50 quid each, and it all went arseways...that's going to annoy me for at least another decade!!!! :P

It even annoys me and I had nothing to do with it haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Haven't posted anything here in a while. Recently bought the Analogue Mega SG.
    Was stunned at how fast it arrived at my door. Ordered it last Friday, and it arrived on Tuesday (well, it technically arrived on Monday, but I wasn't home when the postie got to my door)

2INkbLHh.jpg
    z1uBwdmh.jpg
    6V64prlh.jpg
    LUJX91kh.jpg

I had the option to get this, or wait for the Mega Drive Mini.

I came to the conclusion that I'm nearly done with Emulation machines

I say "nearly" because I actually still enjoy my SNES/NES Mini, but I do intend on getting the Super Nt down the line.

My console collection is getting ridiculous at this stage lol I'm running out of room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Sorry for the double post

KuaMtkn.jpg

The Disney games aren't in the greatest of condition (have new replacement boxes on the way) but for the price I paid I won't complain.

Aladdin: €12
    Lion King, World of Illusion & Castle of Illusion: €14 each
    NHL Bundle: €34 (incl p&p)
    James Pond: €30 (incl p&p)

This brings my Mega Drive collection up to 55

Pond 2 is fantastic. If you haven't got Pond 3, I highly recommend it. World of Illusion is great aswell, I havnt had a proper run of Castle of Illusion, it will be the first thing I fire up on my MD Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been thinking about getting one of the NHL games. I think 95 is highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haven't posted anything here in a while. Recently bought the Analogue Mega SG.
    Was stunned at how fast it arrived at my door. Ordered it last Friday, and it arrived on Tuesday (well, it technically arrived on Monday, but I wasn't home when the postie got to my door)

How much did it cost you delievered? Been tempted by the Super NT but the delivery charge and import tax have put me off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A new addition to the G&W collection arrived the other day.
    Donkey Kong II, multi-screen piece of loveliness.
    Only €30 with postage too, barely a mark on it, so it was well looked after.
    I'm still going to find an elusive, cheap Parachute, Fire and Octopus some day...

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    First get in a long time!

I've always wanted a lynx since I seen it in a gaming magazine back in the day .. thankfully my parents where in the know and got me a Game Gear instead but I've went all those years wondering what I've missed out on.

I've been scouring eBay and the likes for months waiting for a good one to pop up, but prices have gone mad. I took a gamble on this one, it's very clean but doesn't power on. Should just be the old voltage regulatar or transistors, I've ordered them up along with caps so we'll see!
    QUOTE]

The lynx! I remember an old newsagents near me had one at the time. It was set up like an arcade machine, cost 10p 20p for a few minutes playtime, like a megatech or playchoice cabinet.

Wonder was that a diy job for the lynx, and far from "official" ?! Never saw anything else like it anywhere.

Love oddball things like that :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement