Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Is that top loader region free? Was there a region-free NES that existed? Am I getting my memories mixed up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,773 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A NES can be made region free by just cutting a pin on the NES10 chip. Then using a cart adapter for famicom/NES carts.

The Famicom might be region free as there's no NES10 chip in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A NES can be made region free by just cutting a pin on the NES10 chip. Then using a cart adapter for famicom/NES carts.

The Famicom might be region free as there's no NES10 chip in them.

Duly noted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

accensi0n wrote: »
    IMAG1030.jpg

And now I want one of these!

I have the NES, Famicom, Famicom Twin and one the Retron clones as well.
    But that looks gorgeous, so.... I must have one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,210 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Almost bought a Famicom toploader with a NESRGB installed from Ebay Japan the other day.

Had to slap myself and remember that Christmas was coming up and had other pressies to buy.

Then bought an Xbox one S :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paul79

Been after this one for close on 2 years typical for it to be found just before Christmas, Ah well early present for me so :D

W6Yd6Sg

277-E6-E1-C-9-CB5-41-A2-A089-750-DDFB27-C1-D.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

o1s1n wrote: »
    Almost bought a Famicom toploader with a NESRGB installed from Ebay Japan the other day.

Had to slap myself and remember that Christmas was coming up and had other pressies to buy.

Then bought an Xbox one S :pac:

Glad I'm not the only one who makes smart, rational decisions...only to buy something else I didn't need or even know I wanted shortly after :D

Master of the Universe

paul79 wrote: »
    Been after this one for close on 2 years typical for it to be found just before Christmas, Ah well early present for me so :D

Feckin' nice! Hope it didn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Such a great little system that doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Glad I'm not the only one who makes smart, rational decisions...only to buy something else I didn't need or even know I wanted shortly after :D

Ah man, don't get me started. It was one of those 1am 'OMFG THAT'S A DEAL I CANT PASS UP!' snap decisions.

It actually went like this.

'OH WOW! THE DIGITAL VERSION IS ONLY 100 EURO!'

'OH WOW! THE DISC VERSION IS ONLY 70 MORE!'

'OH ****, I JUST SPENT 170 THAT I DON'T HAVE!'

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paul79

Such a great little system that doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves. '

Nothing near the crazy prices I’ve seen on eBay over the last two years, The pgm is a great little system It has some cracking games on it including the cave conversions done recently, I’m toying with the idea of getting a pgm 2 next year .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Such a great little system that doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves.

Ah man, don't get me started. It was one of those 1am 'OMFG THAT'S A DEAL I CANT PASS UP!' snap decisions.

It actually went like this.

'OH WOW! THE DIGITAL VERSION IS ONLY 100 EURO!'

'OH WOW! THE DISC VERSION IS ONLY 70 MORE!'

'OH ****, I JUST SPENT 170 THAT I DON'T HAVE!'

Yes, similar dialogue here, but I was much worse, I bought a Google Stadia...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Will keep an eye on the Marketplace for it in the coming weeks....

Inviere wrote: »
    Will keep an eye on the Marketplace for it in the coming weeks....

It'll be in the new year, because I'm only allowed open it on Christmas morning... Might get special dispensation for tomorrow night's beers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Got one of these early last week, a fool as his money and all that :)
    497058.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Wouldn’t have thought the Internet where you live would be up to the job?

Andrew76 wrote: »

Works a treat, they upgraded the local network to fibre so maybe that's done the trick.
    Dinorex did notice a delay, fractions of a second, in the sound when firing, though the actual gameplay doesn't have any delay at all. That's in Destiny 2.
    The rest of the content available is quite expensive, so I won't be running to buy the likes of Metro Exodus there when it's half the price on PS4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Andrew76 wrote: »

FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) goodness in his place :) none of that old skool FTTC/'Eir efibre' crap

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) goodness in his place :) none of that old skool FTTC/'Eir efibre' crap

Nice! Yeah I moved away from the eir fibre muck as soon as Virgin came into the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

N64 from Mozie81 ... running on last months haul (BVM from BGOllie) :)

I'm ten minutes into it, and mini-me is after hogging the controls. I'm so proud

hahahaha.png
    photoupload

A lovely copy of Outrun for the Megadrive arrived from Steve in Japan, complete with instructions.
    I had repro of it but it's nice to have the proper copy for the collection.
    (not my photo but mine is the same!)
    s-l640.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

A lovely copy of Outrun for the Megadrive arrived from Steve in Japan, complete with instructions.
    I had repro of it but it's nice to have the proper copy for the collection.
    (not my photo but mine is the same!)
    s-l640.jpg

Steve Bailey?

I buy from that lad too. :-P

• Advertisement

The new baby arrives!
    My Nintendo Block Kurushi console!

colortvgamebb_4.jpg?w=636&h=477

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Any of you guys ever try out one of these Chinese PS2 wireless controllers?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Playstation-2-Controller-Wireless-PS2-Controller-for-Sony-PS2/202618947147?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Decided to try one out as a matter of interest as I've been meaning to pick up a PS2 wireless pad for ages.

It's actually not bad!

Runs on two AAA batteries which is a tad annoying (however I wouldn't really have put much stock in a rechargeable cheap Chinese battery so it's probably actually for the best)

The finish on the shell leaves a lot to be desired. As well as the plastic used on the receiver. The seam/join on one side of it would nearly cut your hand it's so rough at the edge.

However...

You then hook it up and the wireless connectivity instantly connects and works flawlessly. The buttons and analog sticks respond far better than expected. D pad is a bit stiff, but It's closer to feeling authentic than like a cheap chinese D pad.

It's actually really usable and I'm fairly picky when it comes to controllers.

Might be worth taking the PCB out and mounting it inside a real pad. You'd need to cut a hole out of the back of it though for the batteries.

I recieved these Data Frog PS2/PS3 controllers in the mail recently for less than 10 euro each shipped....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33027742826.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.43f24c4dRjHwss

DATA-FROG-2-4-G-Wireless-Gamepad-for-PS3-PS2-Game-Joystick-Gamepad-for-PC-Joypad.jpg

They have a built in rechargeable battery, Li-on i presume.
    The receivers have a standard PS2 connector and a usb cable sits inside underneath it for playing it on PS3 / PC or Android or whatever you want.
    This makes the PS2 connector a bit longer and it also has bright-ish LEDs integrated which could annoy people if they have their consoles on display.

Another potential con is that the L2 and R2 buttons are triggers which could be annoying for PS2 games but they have a short enough travel, i havent actually tried those buttons on the PS2 yet.

Overall they have a nice feel, not quite as good as the original PS3 controller but decent especially for the price.

Nice if you're on a budget and want to use them on multiple consoles / devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Super thanks

Master of the Universe

Thanks for the feeback on that one :)

I need a second so will pick one up. Hard to say no at that price.

How does it look re potentially transplanting it into an original case? Does the actual case design exterior look similar to the original?

IMG_20191205_101842.jpg

IMG_20191213_105057.jpg

IMG_20191213_105110.jpg

Just received these.

EEPRom programmer with adapters.

This along with the 8bit Manshed Repro Mega Drive Cart PCB will and a few capacitors and a M27C160 chip will mean that I can make my own Repro Mega Drive carts! :-P

I 3D printed some cart blanks a little while ago too so should be a fun weekend project this weekend... providing that I'm not too hungover from the work Christmas party tonight. :-P

Nice same setup as myself, be interested to know if you can get 27c322 to burn correctly using the adapter .. I couldn’t get mine to work but maybe it was a dodgy adapter

Nice same setup as myself, be interested to know if you can get 27c322 to burn correctly using the adapter .. I couldn’t get mine to work but maybe it was a dodgy adapter

I don't have any of those chips to test with so I couldn't tell you tbh...

Ah no problem, I was using them for cps2 stuff.. now I use buyicnow very handy if you’re not in a rush send them the files with the order no and they program them for you for 50c per chip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not at all retro but retro in my mind as I've wanted one for maybe 12 years!

Just have to mount the surround speakers, measure the distances, dial in the individual volumes then figure out why the PS4 Pro is being fussy with video signal but Xbox One S is fine...

The receiver is an absolute beast.

xTry1Ci.jpg

XPEQ9yH.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ah no problem, I was using them for cps2 stuff.. now I use buyicnow very handy if you’re not in a rush send them the files with the order no and they program them for you for 50c per chip

I used that crowd when I did a batch of Mother 2 ---> Earthbound conversions, couldn't fault them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement