Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

I rented both those games as a kid so wanted to pick them up as I couldn't remember much about them. Asterix has some mental sound design, everything sounds really robotic for some reason, its almost as bad as Taz-mania.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with Asterix is the levels have the most insane time limit ever. It's your worst enemy. Once you realise you have to race to the exit it gets a bit more manageable.

The Master System Asterix games are well worth playing. Some of the best 8-bit platforming you can get. Really impressive.

Master System doesn't get as much love as it deserves, every bit as good as the Nes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Master System doesn't get as much love as it deserves, every bit as good as the Nes.

The NES is waaaaaaaaay way way better. But the master system isn't a bad machine with a decent selection of cracking games. It just can't match the sheer volume of amazing stuff on the NES.

Really should explore the system more. Get the megadrive and everdrive out. Would love to finish the sonic games on it and give the asterix games on it another go.

populus on the MS was a big one for me when I was a kid.
    that and the built in Alex Kidd game :D

• Advertisement

I really don't get the love for that first Alex kidd game. Always felt janky (haha janken!!!) and would have been a mediocre game on the NES.

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on the other hand. Now that's a real hidden gem of a game. Fantastic stuff.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The NES is waaaaaaaaay way way better. But the master system isn't a bad machine with a decent selection of cracking games. It just can't match the sheer volume of amazing stuff on the NES.

Really should explore the system more. Get the megadrive and everdrive out. Would love to finish the sonic games on it and give the asterix games on it another go.

I recently got a box of random Master System games and found Sonic Chaos in it, didn't even know that game existed. Not a bad game, doesn't have the speed of MegaDrive Sonic which is a plus for me.

The master system sonic games have a bad reputation because american's only got the first sonic game and it's a major rarity over there. They only played them on the game gear where the massively reduced play area made them near unplayable. They are mush better games on the master system.

Think Sonic 1, 2 and Chaos on master system are excellent games despite being very different to the maegadrive games. Not played other sonic games other than the god awful sonic blast. They were made by Ancient who made the streets of rage games and the music by Yuzo Koshiro is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've never actually played that Asterix game - really wanted it as a kid as I used to play the Konami arcade game a lot and assumed at the time they were the same.

Oh man, seeing an arcade come out for a home system and then grabbing it, praying it would be as good! Rarely happened, unfortunately. Killer instinct on the snes broke my soul.

Asterix is a pretty solid game but I've never played it on anything other than arcade.

I don't know if you own it or not, but here's a decently priced one with "make an offer" on it

https://m.ebay.es/itm/-/153812019396?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F1185-53479-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5337257450%26customid%3DArcade%2520%2528Boards%252C%2520PCB%252C%2520Jamma%2529%2520%257BVG%257D%26mpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.es%252Fitm%252F-%252F153812019396%253Fnordt%253Dtrue%2526orig_cvip%253Dtrue%26srcrot%3D1185-53479-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D2442407158973%26rvr_ts%3D4d61301c1720aad6b5d7b142ffea985b&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

Or if you fancied a lend of one I could sort you out, as long as you don't put it in a microwave or something :p No point having things gathering dust when someone could get a blast out of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,209 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gradius wrote: »
    Oh man, seeing an arcade come out for a home system and then grabbing it, praying it would be as good! Rarely happened, unfortunately. Killer instinct on the snes broke my soul.

Asterix is a pretty solid game but I've never played it on anything other than arcade.

I don't know if you own it or not, but here's a decently priced one with "make an offer" on it

https://m.ebay.es/itm/-/153812019396?ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F1185-53479-19255-0%2F1%3Fff3%3D4%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5337257450%26customid%3DArcade%2520%2528Boards%252C%2520PCB%252C%2520Jamma%2529%2520%257BVG%257D%26mpre%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.es%252Fitm%252F-%252F153812019396%253Fnordt%253Dtrue%2526orig_cvip%253Dtrue%26srcrot%3D1185-53479-19255-0%26rvr_id%3D2442407158973%26rvr_ts%3D4d61301c1720aad6b5d7b142ffea985b&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true

Or if you fancied a lend of one I could sort you out, as long as you don't put it in a microwave or something :p No point having things gathering dust when someone could get a blast out of it :)

Ah you're very good, thanks for the offer man!

I actually have a copy of it knocking around somewhere already in my PCB stack in the attic - speaking of which, I really need to go and check on the health of them!

Those single PCB Konami boards are lovely, aren't they? Far easier to store than most other boards.

• Advertisement

All I remember about Asterix is it came from Konami's mean phase, just like Super Contra.

You can't credit feed those machines to the end! They cut you out after a certain amount of credits. And while Super Contra is finishable, Asterix chews through my quarters before the end of the second level.

Which is annoying as it's one of the more inventive belt scrollers from that era and I'd love to see the other levels!

Ah you're very good, thanks for the offer man!

I actually have a copy of it knocking around somewhere already in my PCB stack in the attic - speaking of which, I really need to go and check on the health of them!

Those single PCB Konami boards are lovely, aren't they? Far easier to store than most other boards.

No bother! I think I'll dig it out later for a go now that you've reminded me of it :)

Yeah that era of Konami boards are very neat all right. There's still a couple more I'd like to get, Gaiapolis came up on eBay the other day and it looks very good, very long game too with rpg stuff. But I chickened out at the price.

Konami made a seriously annoying move with some of the sound modules though. Turtles, aliens etc are fine, but the likes of gaiapolis and xmen have those ceramic modules with capacitors that leak on to the sound modules and destroy them. Then you're left looking for a replacement module which is a pain in the arse!

So, it's worth checking them to see what state theyre in.

All I remember about Asterix is it came from Konami's mean phase, just like Super Contra.

You can't credit feed those machines to the end! They cut you out after a certain amount of credits. And while Super Contra is finishable, Asterix chews through my quarters before the end of the second level.

Which is annoying as it's one of the more inventive belt scrollers from that era and I'd love to see the other levels!

Usually there's a way to adjust continues in dipswitch settings, but not always. One that I came across recently is Extermination by taito. Man, that game is rock hard! And no continues whatsoever. The upside is that it has longevity I suppose, I'll be trying to beat it for years :p

Gradius 3 is by far the worse offender of that era from Konami. It's far and away the hardest in the series, some even consider it the toughest non-bullet hell shooter ever.

How many continues do you get? Sweet F all :eek: None. To beat an entire shmup!

Gradius 3 is by far the worse offender of that era from Konami. It's far and away the hardest in the series, some even consider it the toughest non-bullet hell shooter ever.

How many continues do you get? Sweet F all :eek: None. To beat an entire shmup!

It's one I haven't played at all, I think salamander might be the same?

There's a fine line were you can get much better at the game versus pure "this is a joke" difficulty. You won't really know until you've sunk an hour or two into them. Ikaruga for me definitely falls into the category of "ah, now Im getting it" after a while

It might be, could be lifeforce rather than salamander.

Salamander though is no where near as hard as Gradius 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just invested in a Harmony Multicart for my Atari 2600, means I'll have access to the masses of excellent homebrew for the console, starting with Pacman 4k and 8k!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just invested in a Harmony Multicart for my Atari 2600, means I'll have access to the masses of excellent homebrew for the console, starting with Pacman 4k and 8k!

Have you ever played big birds egg catch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have you ever played big birds egg catch ?

Once in Coppers I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My RetroTINK 2X SCART arrived earlier today to compliment my recently acquired RetroTINK 2X Pro. Again, quality piece of kit for the retro A/V loop if you have a use for it.

VzBKntH.jpg

Also, I buy my Amiga disks by the KG :D
    Load of Magazine disks, PD disks and a whole lot more.

MGRUN1p.jpg

Disks visually checked, cleaned and stored away until some future day/night I have the energy to check them all.
    gp2XzpN.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,343 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

5260ae58-2c1d-4211-9517-77b35c23d3c5.jpg

Picked up an RG350M just because I'm a sucker for OpenDingux emulation handhelds. It's a real well put together machine, controls and buttons are exactly as I'd want them, the aluminium body gives it a nice heft and the screen is beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Grabbed one of them earlier in the month after just getting fed up with constant YouTube suggestions and boredom TBH.
    It really is a decently put together device, that actually feels good in the hand with surprisingly decent D-Pad. Emulation of the basic systems seems relatively OK, though I haven't messed around too much, but its hard to get past some of the audio issues, more so with PS stuff, but I suppose there's scope for improvements.
    Must dig it out and give the HDMI update a seeing to.

Master of the Universe

Picked up a Retro Game Cables Luma sync RGB N64 cable yesterday. Must have cost about 40 quid in total after parcel motel which is a bit insane for a cable, only option though unfortunately!

Wasn't 100% sure if my n64 problems were cable related so it was a bit of a gamble - thankfully it worked!

RGB modded Jap N64 going again. Also picked up an original PAL PSU for it so no annoying step downs anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Picked up a Retro Game Cables Luma sync RGB N64 cable yesterday. Must have cost about 40 quid in total after parcel motel which is a bit insane for a cable, only option though unfortunately!

Wasn't 100% sure if my n64 problems were cable related so it was a bit of a gamble - thankfully it worked!

RGB modded Jap N64 going again. Also picked up an original PAL PSU for it so no annoying step downs anymore.

Is that the region modded one too which detects the region of the cart & changes console region accordingly?

Master of the Universe

Yep! LED on the front changes to indicate which region it is. Nice bit of kit.

There's a switch on the bottom (I think it's to switch deblur on and off) which I managed to feck up with the DD :eek:

Didn't realise the switch was there at all. To be fair, who sticks a mod switch on the bottom of a console?. Especially one which has a piece of expansion hardware which clips on in that exact spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Finally, finally, finally! Orders from overseas are starting to arrive at my door.

MYQ6Ntf.jpg?1
    I ordered these particular games back in March, and they've only arrived this morning.

9Kapwkk.jpg
    These are all the games I ordered that arrived over the last month or so. I wanted to wait until I had a bulk ready to show, instead of spamming the thread with a new game every second day (I also received the PS3 version of Dynasty Warriors 6 as well as the PS2 port, I just forgot to include it in the photo).

I know Twin Breaker isn't technically a retro game, but it is heavily retro-inspired. Still fighting the temptation to remove it from its plastic lol

Delighted. I still have a lot more to arrive, but these were ones I was most anticipating, especially that God of War Collection and FF Tactics

Charity shop grab, covered in filth but surprisingly it still works. Pretty good nick too once cleaned up :) I always liked the psp's, slick bit of hardware and great little emulation machine.

DSC-2102.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,343 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I keep meaning to pick up a standard PSP, they're such elegant little machines. My original one killed itself with a leaky battery and while I have a PSP Go, I also have a big bag of UMD games knocking around.

Master of the Universe

Yeah there's some real quality in the design and how they're put together. It was such a different consoles to the DS when it was released.

I never really got too stuck into mine, messed about with it quite a lot installing CFW and loading games on - not too sure if I played many of them once they were on there though! DS got most of my playtime.

• Advertisement

I got a nos psp from Japan some time ago and it was great for ps1 games. But resident 3 kept glitching around the clock tower and resetting. Never got to the bottom of it. Great thing for long plane journeys though all the same.

After leaving that other psp charging for a while I think the battery is nuked, not holding a charge. Not the end of the world though for a fiver

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement