Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been meaning to get a PSP for ages, think the going rate of a boxed 3000 is €100-130? I'll have to refresh my brain with the latest CFW and double check there's SD card adaptors and any decent batteries around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've been meaning to get a PSP for ages, think the going rate of a boxed 3000 is €100-130? I'll have to refresh my brain with the latest CFW and double check there's SD card adaptors and any decent batteries around.

Most spares are available in decent quantities. Batteries, particularly the 3000 series slim ones, are getting awkward to get at all. Of the variety I got from replacebase, zedlabz and ebay [china], many required some work to get going, almost all lost their charge when unused quicker than they should and some were just dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,343 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah PSP batteries are very temperamental. I've had one just start leaking on me and there's so many horror stories about expanding batteries and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Damn I really want an RG350M now...

Whats the best out of the 50,000 or so cheapo models on Alliexpress and other gadget sites does anyone who follows these things know?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Thargor wrote: »
    Damn I really want an RG350M now...

Whats the best out of the 50,000 or so cheapo models on Alliexpress and other gadget sites does anyone who follows these things know?

rq6p2weonckz.jpg

The Wish.com model :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Only took a week to arrive from Japan. Been waiting on a bloody hair clippers for a month from China. :pac:

IMAG1733.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,883 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Finally arrived after all the delays. Nice little device, but I kind of wish they'd just left it original size rather than a tiny bit smaller than the real console. I'll be 3D printing and labelling a mini Hucard for it at some stage.

puSoqXL.jpg

m8XX2se.jpg

svNDXDt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye.....arrived today for myself, though I had already picked up the PC Engine mini from Japan last month or so. Kept the UK order in order to get the turbofire pad, but like all minis, they tend to just end up on the shelf anyhow, but still, its a lovely re-release if only for the frontend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My retro investing continues, this time with a Vecadapt doohickey from Australia.
    This will let me use all manner of Atari type controllers, such as the Megadrive, to be used with the Vectrex.
    There's a handful of games that must have an analogue input from the stick, but otherwise this will probably make the Veccy even more fun to use, and spur me on to buy a proper arcade stick for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked up an Evercade and a couple of extra carts. Got the the premium pack which included 3 carts so far I like it, handheld is large but comfortable, buttons all feel good and d-pad is very Sega Saturn

Its weird these days being restricted to the few included games particularly those I've never heard of or played before but it does make choosing a game a lot simpler :)

49994987887_cd31043f30_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Couldn't resist take it apart for a look and the carts are using a 1GB flash chip which is using the SD card protocol so in effect we're still using SD Cards stuffed with ROMs :)

With a bit of soldering I was able to mount the cartridge and read/write to it (using FAT16). Easy enough to replace roms and images if you ever wanted to do such a horrible thing.

But that's my curiosity taken care off so reassembled and back to enjoying the games :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With a bit of soldering I was able to mount the cartridge and read/write to it (using FAT16). Easy enough to replace roms and images if you ever wanted to do such a horrible thing.

But that's my curiosity taken care off so reassembled and back to enjoying the games :)

So, what you're saying is that we can go and buy one and you will then modify a cart, soldering in a SD card holder, and we can then load it with our own range of games...
    Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

@TheLastbandit, how do you find the screen? Also, any data on what the battery life is like?

Screen is nice, not IPS but clear and bright enough. Not sure about the battery life yet, haven't even fully charged it yet.

No doubt there are mor powerful emulation handhelds out there but its the whole ecosystem for this with the physical carts & manuals as well as a pretty good handheld make this a much preferable option for me over the zillion aliexpress rom players.

The cartridge cases are number though so it very easy to spot holes in the collection :) So I'll be ordering a few more of them later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I don't want to go off topic, I don't collect retro but I always enjoy everyones purchases

Little more messing with the Evercade and added a new game to a cartridge

49998100131_92fc48fecd_z.jpg

49997578403_6cc4941ccf_z.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ronano wrote: »
    I don't want to go off topic, I don't collect retro but I always enjoy everyones purchases

How dare you live vicariously through our self inflicted debt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Little more messing with the Evercade and added a new game to a cartridge

Nice work. Are you able to determine the available space on the carts?

The Namco 2 cart I'm using is a 128MB cart, I assume the others are the same.

At the moment I limited to only using roms for the emulators that are already on the cartridge. This cart has blastem for Megadrive and a couple of retroarch core libs for the SNES & NES emulation.

Build a little interface for it as well now so I can plug the carts into the PC to muck about with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Finally got this bad boy almost ready to go.

New PSU and loom and should be 100%

U9vR9Mf.jpg

Saved these two from going into a skip today. Brightness & contrast need a bit to adjusting on both so just need to get a remote to talk to them.

50006156262_999a314fe0_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Misc Rage order. Downside of buying online is the condition of Bust a Move and Toy Racer is quite poor and there's too many platinums for my liking which I would have skipped over in person, but I did want to give them a bit of support given the current situation.

On the plus side, everything apart from Burnout Legends is complete.

gc8lLaN.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Yeah that's a problem with buying online sometimes, even pictures can be very misleading.

I picked these up in a charity shop (to go with a psp 1000 a few days back!) , the megadrive collection has a pretty great lineup of games, like 30 of them from bonanza bros to vector man. Without trying I'm building up a bit of a collection of psp games, but for me it's really an emulator machine

DSC-2103.jpg

No photo, but I received Republic Commando, for the OG Xbox, in the post this morning.
    Now, I know that Retr0 will probably hate it, but I really enjoyed it the first time around and look forward to installing it on the XB1 this evening.
    I'm watching Clone Wars, from season 4 onwards, and it definitely has me primed to play about in that universe once again.

Gradius wrote: »
    Yeah that's a problem with buying online sometimes, even pictures can be very misleading.

I picked these up in a charity shop (to go with a psp 1000 a few days back!) , the megadrive collection has a pretty great lineup of games, like 30 of them from bonanza bros to vector man. Without trying I'm building up a bit of a collection of psp games, but for me it's really an emulator machine

The Wipeout games on the PSP are incredibly good, as are the Ridge Racer games, although the second one is basically an expanded version of the first one.

I imported a PSP, back in the day, and I can still see the astounded face on a kid as I powerslided around corners in Ridge Racer, while most youngsters were still playing on their GBAs....

Peasants...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,209 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've never played the PSP Ridge Racer games - really surprised as to how well it holds up in that video!

Kind of have me interested in digging out my PSP and giving the oul homebrew a go again.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've never played the PSP Ridge Racer games - really surprised as to how well it holds up in that video!

Kind of have me interested in digging out my PSP and giving the oul homebrew a go again.

Do it! As CiDeRmAn says, its a great piece of kit that was miles ahead at the time (graphically, anyway) :)

Picked up a couple of rarities there, an original electrocoin undercover cops marquee, I'd say 9.5/10 condition, not bad for 30 years old. Better game than final fight? Hmmm

DSC-2104.jpg

Even better than that, an original snk Athena marquee, even better condition! I recently tracked down an original board and am waiting for it to arrive, so to come across an original marquee in the meantime is astronomical odds! As far as I know (could well be wrong), "there aren't any pictures of this on the Internet even. So to find the game (rock hard) and marquee (near impossible) within a few weeks of each other... Mad :)

DSC-2105.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pity Athena is a pile of poo to play.

Have good memories of Ridge Racer on the PSP. Banging soundtrack and a joy to play at 60 FPS. I do like the PSP, it had some great games but as a handheld it just didn't really work. Load times, disc based media. The battery was ok but it had no persistence so drained while not in use.

It meant I used the DS a lot more which just functioned better as a handheld and while the PSP had great games, the DS is my favourite console of all time because the library is insanely good.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pity Athena is a pile of poo to play.

Have good memories of Ridge Racer on the PSP. Banging soundtrack and a joy to play at 60 FPS. I do like the PSP, it had some great games but as a handheld it just didn't really work. Load times, disc based media. The battery was ok but it had no persistence so drained while not in use.

It meant I used the DS a lot more which just functioned better as a handheld and while the PSP had great games, the DS is my favourite console of all time because the library is insanely good.

Athena is a gem of a game! Now, the arcade port to nes is a different story, hit detection, graphics etc. Chalk and cheese

Versus

Also I like these little universe games. Athenas sequel, psycho Soldier, is related to other snk games with the character showing up here and there.

A note about psycho soldier is that it was the first videogame to use actual music samples. The result is funny! It plays during the first level below

And then that was updated for smash bros....

And that's enough valuable information for one day :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement