Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Love the Egret, candy cabs are so awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

eddhorse wrote: »
    Love the Egret, candy cabs are so awesome.

Yea, I like them, I think I’ll replace the defender with another atomiswave/egret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yea, I like them, I think I’ll replace the defender with another atomiswave/egret

I think I'd like a Blast City , would need to be 24khz anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

So I got around to testing some stuff from that haul, 95% good!

I discovered I have a power problem on the PSU for the supergun, more than likely just bad wires from being thrown around the place which means I'm getting a poor quality 5v signal. Jittery sprites on some games when running at about 4.6, to be expected. Something for another day.

One of the 4 slot mvs is displaying the test pattern only. So, not the end of the world but the games aren't registering for whatever reason. Another 4 slot is perfect. Can't win them all! Something to tinker with over Christmas anyway :)

IMG-20201221-153453-2.jpg

IMG-20201221-154331-3.jpg

IMG-20201221-154832-2.jpg

IMG-20201221-155149-7.jpg

IMG-20201221-160008-7.jpg

IMG-20201221-160527-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

[HTML][/HTML]Another one to put in the play once or twice then put on the shelf category, but it seems decently solid. Must give it a bash later.

20201221-185221.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I love the control pad! Is it Bluetooth?

Nah....just USB o1s1n.
    Haven't tried it out yet, but didn't feel too bad for a 'cheap' pad. Dpad felt decent, buttons seemed a little overly plastic, but the unit feels relatively decent in the hand. Probably sits in the middle of a higher priced 8bitdo, but far better than a nasty cheap Raspberry Pi bundle yoke.
    The actual stick on the unit is surprisingly good, and while the buttons are small, they're well spaced out and very responsive. The Arcade Stick looks like it would be actually decent enough quality going on the standard here.

Will have a better look at the pad when I get around to trying the HDMI out, but turned it on for a few mins earlier. Build quality is excellent, and while it would have been nice to get a 4:3 screen, it's definitely above average compared to some similar items out there such as the Neo Geo Mini etc
    Emulation seems to be on point, with probably most of the tinny audio purely down to the inbuilt speakers so might work a lot better on TV Out. Thought I saw some slowdown with Virtua Fighter, but hard to judge on a 30fps target on a small screen so will definitely have a better look tomorrow. Everything else I tried seemed fine, Death Adder etc.

More of a curiosity/paper weight for the desk, but looks a well made device even if it's lacking some real variety in its games list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had some kind of retro things waiting for me in my parents place
    Physical copies of La Mulana and La Mulana 2 from when I kick-started the la mulana project years ago. Nice to get them and great that the game turned out so well. Although the original is one of the best of all time so wasn't in too much doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Nintendo 1 - 0 Me

I was being too stubborn to buy this because of the limited window it's given. Then i realised Nintendo do what they want so I just got the thing.

YpYVpIyl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A few very nice LaserDisc bits in today.

Darius Gaiden LaserDisc (complete and in very nice condition indeed)
    JtFSnbE.jpg
    C08cENI.jpg

Starblade LaserDisc
    LaMjNre.jpg

Darius II LaserDisc
    MMmmHST.jpg

Super Mario 2 (The Lost Levels) for Famicom Disk System
    L9QAgVk.jpg

A couple of Tiny Arcade machines.
    uyXMJzS.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Two PS4 games but somewhat retro inspired. Streets of Rage 4 from herself and I picked up Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner Mars which is a port of the PS2 game.

Quiet second half of the year for retro games due to doing bits in the new house, next year I'd like to try get a few more consoles and collectables if possible as I definitely don't need more games. Here's to 2021!

Master of the Universe

Yus! Santa was listening to my hints :pac:

Haven't had a Japanese Saturn in about ten years, had one years ago but replaced it with a mod chipped PAL model. Nice to have one back again!

Now to fill it with games.

IMG-20201225-121118496.jpg
    IMG-20201225-121124338.jpg
    IMG-20201225-121211525.jpg
    IMG-20201225-121337912.jpg

Speaking of Saturn, somehow a sealed copy of In the Hunt turned up, didn't think that was possible. When people know your hobby so well, it may be time to dial it down :p roll on the dinner!

IMG-20201225-122631-0.jpg

Master of the Universe

Sealed? Holy God! Where'd you get that??

Time to clear the mortgage on your gaff :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sealed? Holy God! Where'd you get that??

Time to clear the mortgage on your gaff :pac:

Don't know where it came from, but apparently it was a good deal cos someone listed it as "in the hut" :p

A shed simulator for the Saturn!

Die hard is great above, lots of "give up you are surrounded!" Tough game to beat, never have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

No retro goodness for me this year.

Even got stiffed on my Imgur secret Santa.

I'll have to get myself a few bits in the next couple of weeks. Selling one of my pins to hoping to replace it pretty quickly with a different one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No retro goodies here either.
    But, with a birthday in a couple of weeks I'm going to seek a couple of Veccy games, Mrs Ciderman has asked for specific requests so it's only fair I let her know.
    Edit: Went ahead and ordered same
    So Vector Pilot and Vector Patrol will be winging their way here in the coming days, can't wait!

Nothing directly retro over Xmas, but one item that should have landed last week only for getting held up dropped today.

Just a matter of moving the innards from the old case

20201229-194204.jpg

Master of the Universe

Just had my sister's over for a post Christmas pressie thing, opened up a package to find a Neo Geo mini!

IMG-20201229-202323670.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I keep my Neo Geo Mini at work... Haven't played it in anger since adding games to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Picked up something new for something old :) Nearly 800 pages of content so will hopefully kickstart my Apple II interest again.

50779437281_f034cee9a2.jpg

I fixed up a few things this morning, just small stuff really but it's not like most people are super busy these days!

A few things with the red tent. It was missing a coinbox which I thought would never be replaced! Castlevania has had nearly 2700 odd plays on it, pretty low.

Also there were a few buttons missing, and one button that was smashed to bits (how?!). Got them replaced, looks proper now. Not much left to do with this machine now, need to find replacement artwork. The Castlevania instructions are leeched of colour :/ But there's still a few NOS things floating around, might get lucky. Last thing (and biggest pain in the arse) is to get the topside powder coated, it's not terrible by any means, but it's for the sake of completion. Got lots of play over Christmas in competitive Mario Bros with everyone. You've still got it, Donkey Kong :p

I cleaned up the power supply in punch-out and replaced a lot of bolts that had had their day. Curses be upon the Nintendo guy who dreamt up that green glue they used! But now it looks all shiny and chrome!

Last thing to do is get the proper Nintendo t-molding, and I've been trying to get it off the one dude that sells it since April. What a joke! Also need to twiddle with the screens a bit. Maybe it can be seen in the picture, but the cabinet still has its old licence (top left of top screen). According to that, it was last used in July 1999...later than you'd think!

Hadn't played it in a while, actually a lot of fun, especially pounding the K.O. button :)

It's a great little hobby, it involves lots of things, artwork, woodwork, electronics, mechanics, and actually playing the games too!

This is more like a blog post now :p

IMG-20210107-124916-0.jpg

IMG-20210107-125014-3.jpg

IMG-20210107-142021-0.jpg

IMG-20210107-135611-3.jpg

IMG-20210107-141935-1.jpg

IMG-20210107-133144-0.jpg

IMG-20210107-133426-0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Was gifted a Densha de Go! (電車でGO!) Plug&Play - haven't plugged it in yet, will need to see if it can match the crazy highs of Tokyo Bus Guide :D
    Danke Ciderman!
    538834.jpg

Only just watched a video of it the other week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I need that in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Hey folks, I'm not sure of this is allowed as it's technically not a retro device, but it will be used to play retro games. It's a sinden light gun and it work on modern TVs. It's amazing to play Time Crisis on a big screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

endainoz wrote: »
    Hey folks, I'm not sure of this is allowed as it's technically not a retro device, but it will be used to play retro games. It's a sinden light gun and it work on modern TVs. It's amazing to play Time Crisis on a big screen!
    Oh yeah forgot about that, is the recoil as good as the arcades?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thargor wrote: »
    Oh yeah forgot about that, is the recoil as good as the arcades?

I got the non recoil model, it's still in beta really. All gun con ps1 games work fine. There is mame support but not everything is supported yet. Lots of potential though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm waiting on my 2 recoil units. I'm told I'll get mine shipped start of Feb, but could be March by the time it arrives to my door, assuming no more delays.

I was talking to the devs recently, as my plan was to actually use it on a CRT, which isn't really what it was designed for. But they said they're doing some testing and tweaks so that it might work on the CRT. Otherwise, I've an old 32" LCD that I'll mount to the wall beside my cab and use that for shooters.

Master of the Universe

That'd be excellent if they could get it going with a CRT, finally have one solution that works with all displays.

Have you ever tried using a regular lightgun with the CRT in your cabinet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

No, I'm a relative newcomer to arcades and retro gaming. This is my first foray into lightguns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement