Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Doge wrote: »
    So what do you think, wait very patiently for an adverts seller to a sell second hand one for 35 quid and get it next week....

or.....

Order it from amazon for just 15 quid more and get it brand new in box faster?
    That's a head scratcher alright.
    A saving of 15 euro is a big deal on software but I'm not sure if buying hardware new isn't worth it, especially when it's only 15 we are talking about.
    You just hope that, buying preowned, you're getting something that hasn't problems of its own.
    Don't get me wrong, I've bought tons of second hand hardware, but if new is priced so keenly there's less of a justification for waiting around until a second hand one turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That's a head scratcher alright.
    A saving of 15 euro is a big deal on software but I'm not sure if buying hardware new isn't worth it, especially when it's only 15 we are talking about.
    You just hope that, buying preowned, you're getting something that hasn't problems of its own.
    Don't get me wrong, I've bought tons of second hand hardware, but if new is priced so keenly there's less of a justification for waiting around until a second hand one turns up.

I went and ordered it not long afterwards from amazon new, its a no brainer really but nice to ask sometimes.

I still have that ruthless bargain hunting habit ingrained into me since the recession and possibly back futher when I had little to no money in my early 20s!

Have you ever had a flight stick or joystick for these kind of air combat games or flight sims before?

How about you Myrddin? I remember seeing some of your posts in the aviation forum about how quickly they broke the sound barrier after world war 2, an insanely rapid expotential grpwth in air speed.

I was always comfortable with the dual shock controller only up until recently when my right hand started to cramp up because I was wrestling the right analog stick so much in these games.

My favourite flight sim of all time is Super EF2000 by Digital Image Design which came free with our first PC in 1997 I'd say, a 166mhz Pentium MMX Fujitsu Myrica with 16MBs of RAM.

Mam was that flight Sim a leap ahead at the time, I was never so immersed in a game before and the closest thing I played to one was the MIG29 fulcrum game in the mega drive.

The point of the story is that I used the keyboard only to fly that game and I've never actually used analog joystick to fly one before, so I'll be absolutely stoked when it arrives! :)

Still cannot get over how well it looked for it's time, the DOS version came out in 1995.

And dat music.....

One thing that really blew my mind was being able to zoom in on, and control all the instrument panels with the mouse as if you were there in a real cockpit!

And the inside of the cockpit was actually really the inside, as in when you looked in from the outside of the view it was there rendered.

Man I can remember most ps1 racing games didn't even do that, you could never see the driver and it's hands moving from outside the car, not even in Colin McRae Rally.

I can't wait to use the flight stick with EF2000,
    people have TrackIR running with it and I have a feeling we might eventually see Oculus Rift support with sone hackery.

Another amazing thing is that this game was out 6 years before the Eurofighter Typhoon was even commissioned I think, so the game truly felt ahead of its time in that regard.

The pdf manual is amazing, its more of a book on flight combat and i've just realised now that I can actually read it properly in this age with my iPad. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mam was that flight Sim a leap ahead at the time

Is that one of those Freudian slips? You know, where you say one thing, when you really meant amother thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have you ever had a flight stick or joystick for these kind of air combat games or flight sims before?

How about you Myrddin? I remember seeing some of your posts in the aviation forum about how quickly they broke the sound barrier after world war 2, an insanely rapid expotential grpwth in air speed.

I had a Saitex X45 a few years back that I would use with IL2...I'd go as far as to say if your playing flight games that are not arcade based...a flight stick is more or less essential. It's a massive, massive difference when using a flight stick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Its been a very long time since I played with Flight sims.
    I had a Sidewinder pro stick from MS for Mechwarrior 2 and 3 and it did double duty with the Flight Unlimited games.
    I actually still have my original copy of Flight Unlimited, but the two follow ups were brilliant , I could only land the sea plane though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Got my "The History of Ocean" book today. It's a reward for the other "The History of U.S. Gold" book I backed a while ago. I missed out on the Ocean book the first time so was glad to see it offered with the new one.

So far I'm impressed with it. Lots of artwork from the games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Got my "The History of Ocean" book today. It's a reward for the other "The History of U.S. Gold" book I backed a while ago. I missed out on the Ocean book the first time so was glad to see it offered with the new one.

So far I'm impressed with it. Lots of artwork from the games.

A reward as in it was free? What was the one you got where the quality was rubbish - was it a PC Engine book of some sort? Or maybe that was o1s1n.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Not quite that bad certainly not in the same sphere of sh1teness that Shadow the Hedgehog and the Sonic PS3/360 titles occupy.
    That said, I cannot warm upto this lock on to enemies crack that has infected the whole franchise now, I was playing Sonic Colors on the DS and that "innovation" spoiled it completely.

Have you played Sonic Generations yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    A reward as in it was free? What was the one you got where the quality was rubbish - was it a PC Engine book of some sort? Or maybe that was o1s1n.

Oh god, don't remind me. That was like something you'd pick up in one of those bargain bin type bookshops, absolutely awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Its funny how it G.A.S.. or "Game Acquisition Syndrome" can creep up on you so fast without realizing.

True. Though I never really understood the whole 'full set' thing. I did get very close to a full set of PC Engine STG's though but I'd never have considered going for a full console set, especially not a full all regions set like the PS2 one that someone completed not so long ago. Madness.

Expecting children though soon kicks the wind out of any G.A.S. that's built up in your system! I sold a big chunk of my beloved PC Engine games recently in order to assist funding a travel system. It's all original hardware and Everdrives for me these days.

That little person on the way is far more important than any game collection. I'll miss my stuff as my collection slowly dwindles away, but the reward next year will be totally worth it.

Andrew76 wrote: »

No not free, reward is probably the wrong word. It was the pledge level I picked that included the Ocean book(and an Atari st music CD it seems).

Think that was Oisin with the dodgy book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    True. Though I never really understood the whole 'full set' thing. I did get very close to a full set of PC Engine STG's though but I'd never have considered going for a full console set, especially not a full all regions set like the PS2 one that someone completed not so long ago. Madness.

Many moons ago I was going to go for a full Megadrive PAL set. It was always my favourite console and the idea of owning every game for it was pretty mind blowing.

Once I began to realize the sheer space that amount of games would take up I had to pack in the idea unfortunately.

My ultimate plan is one similar to Cidey and Myrddin's - attic conversion. Will get it done properly, lash everything up there (including the two candys if at all possible) and it won't be in anyone's way anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

So I finally stumbled into something other than ****ty ps2 games in my local charity shop. 8 Dreamcast games for €1 each, all including manuals and discs.
    I dont have a Dreamcast yet but I couldnt turn that down.

Also ive doubled my Snes collection to the mighty number of two with Super Metroid, got it for €30 on Ebay Inc. postage so pretty happy about that.

sIrmSn4s.jpg?3

Ovng3Gss.jpg?2

Edit- Ok so pictures turned out way too small lol, anybody know the best image sizes to use?

Deamcast games are - Crazy taxi, Incoming, Metropolis street racer, planet ring, sonic adventure, soul fighter, tomb radier:last revelation and resident evil 2.

Now lads, you know now that there are no transactions allowed on any threads other than in the Marketplace, next time a warning

MrVestek wrote: »
    I like turtles.

slap-on-wrist.jpg

And this is why there are times I don't like being a mod much :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Good day for the Dreamcast yesterday, I missed out on getting a USB-GDROM Controller but Steve was good enough to pass on his GDEMU to a good home.
    P1040580_zps7476b8e6.jpg

When I got home there was a copy of Zero Gunner 2 waiting for me. I've been after it for a while and finally picked it up from a seller over on AO.
    P1040578_zps81e13da5.jpg

• Advertisement

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    That little person on the way is far more important than any game collection. I'll miss my stuff as my collection slowly dwindles away, but the reward next year will be totally worth it.

I would say, as a collector who became a dad, you can have both, though the grail gets for serious dough are things you have to save for rather than things you can just click "Buy It Now" on.
    Slow and steady is the way to go when disposable income and, more importantly, disposable time become a premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I would say, as a collector who became a dad, you can have both, though the grail gets for serious dough are things you have to save for rather than things you can just click "Buy It Now" on.
    Slow and steady is the way to go when disposable income and, more importantly, disposable time become a premium.

I'd agree here. I know the Pyongster is stuck for space too ( like us all), but in general it's definitely not a one or the other scenario. You can indeed have both, & short of taking the piss by buying big value games while there's no milk in the fridge or the ESB haven't been paid...it's not an end to the hobby. Playing on real hardware with flashcarts is a very nice compromise...but I'd be willing to wager that in a few years time, the Pyongster will begin building his collection again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

60 euros with an extra controller inside.
    Originally I was just looking for GC controllers for my softmodded wii but I couldn't pass up this offer on adverts.
    tumblr_nbaiv2ddxi1tip1kzo1_1280.jpg

Now that's a lovely get.
    Have fun collecting for it!

Super Mario Sunshine is the next purchase!
    As is Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Now that's a lovely get.
    Have fun collecting for it!

Super Mario Sunshine is the next purchase!
    As is Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil!

I still have most of my GC collection from when it was new !
    We lost the console itself when we moved a few years back.

Chuffed with the sale.

The Ocean book I got today.
    pvfqSY.jpg

Also got a Audio CD with it which isn't bad at all.
    http://www.c64audio.com/productInfo.php?cat=STCD1
    STCD1.jpg

The book is very good with loads of articles and graphics and cover art.

But....
    VLOYN8.jpg

It is a mistake right? Or am i really lacking in sleep and not seeing a famicom here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Wow.. obvious mistake, how was that not spotted!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Wow.. obvious mistake, how was that not spotted!

Yeah, and considering the book is about 2 years old at this stage you'd imagine they would have copped it and changed it before running a reprint or two.

Also got this today. But getting a full refund as I kicked up a stink about the quality of the finished product over on nintendoage.
    http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=131608&StartRow=101

Xwtj9c.jpg
    Vu5cOJ.jpg
    dFbGOS.jpg

• Advertisement

And this is why there are times I don't like being a mod much :(

How frequent are those times these days?

I didn't help at all this year especially and I just want to apologise again for getting obsessive with the "humour" as Retr0 would put it.

I think since we've met up at the the 2nd last beers I've improved but short term memory isn't the best lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement