Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not arcade or retro but picked up Tomb Raider for the PS4 for €25.
    Pretty happy with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got it for 2.50 from Steam :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Nice €40 little haul from a carboot sale today :)

photo(1).JPG

PSone is NTSC, the lady I got it from told me it never worked properly it was all black and white and the cds wouldn't play :)

Also got Goldeneye N64 but forgot to include it in the picture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was debating a trip to the Balbriggan Sunday market but didn't bother in the end.
    Then I always kick myself , what you imagine was there is always more amazing then past experience informs me!

very disappointed with it when I went there. Only saw a couple of wii and a box of damaged ps2 controlers. I was there a 7am and there was already people leaving with bags (some people get there a 6am apparently) I'd say if there's anything good, it gets cleaned quick. It's once a week so i'd say you'll see the same crap week on.
    Not much in the Ballymun one either, although I did see a ps3 and a boxed ps2 but they got snatched when I looked away for a second. It 'officialy' opens a 11am. I was there for 9:30 and it was packed already.

Dun Laoghaire is probably the most promising one. Some cool stuff. Although again, mostly ps2s stuff and wiis. Saw a few DS and psp but they were at a reseller stand and priced as second hand, not car boot sale prices. This one's once a month in spring/summer so there's new stuff and people every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not arcade or retro but picked up Tomb Raider for the PS4 for €25.
    Pretty happy with that.

Privately I assume? Wouldn't mind getting a go of it. Was gonna buy it for 360 but now I have myself a ps4 I'll probably get it for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Play the first hour or two of Tomb Raider, and then never play it again. That IMO would maximise your enjoyment of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Play the first hour or two of Tomb Raider, and then never play it again. That IMO would maximise your enjoyment of it.

Why do you say that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why do you say that?

The game opens really promisingly, but squanders most of said promise with an increasingly generic mix of QTE setpieces and endless combat sections.

Just picked this up off adverts for 35 blips!
    chuffed! 1977 strikes and spares backglass mounted on a light box.
    needs a good clean and some new bulbs.
    2014-09-07%2B20.58.59.jpg

check out the details..........
    2014-09-07%2B20.59.05.jpg2014-09-07%2B20.59.08.jpg
    2014-09-07%2B20.59.15.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not really new but I got my SNES region and frequency modded by the mod master Myrrdin. Now I can play those annoyingly region locked PAL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So after a couple of years of lusting after this game I finally managed to get it. A boxed copy came up on eBay for under the €100 mark which is what it usually goes for. It's not 100% complete and there is a tear on the back of the box but nonetheless I finally own it!

ABB59EB0-CA71-46B3-A886-064C701202D1_zpsd5nynq1f.jpg

It's Pokemon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR! Japan only sequel to the pokemon trading card game on the gameboy. It's not super rare but uncommon and up until recently was hard enough to find. It's quite well received but for some reason didn't sell well so tends to command a high price. Anyway, that's another pokemon game ticked off the full set!

Got these today from a seller in France. I'm re-building my old MSX/MSX2 collection .
    photo(2).JPG

Also, a guy I work with heard I was into retro-games and gave me this he had in his attic. It's missing the front plate but it works just fine.

photo(1).JPG

You can probably pick up a new classic case for the Gameboy easily enough.
    Make it look good as new again.
    Not a patch on the Gameboy Pocket though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Got a SNES with ProPad and SuperMario World and all the cables.

Found in the OH's house and still has her save game file.

Apparently she had another controller and more games, the hunt continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Few bits today.
    D is new and sealed, but i didn't order it and was sent it in error! I actually ordered a game worth about 10 euro and D is worth a good bit more as its sealed.
    I already had SF 2 on 3DO but my copy wasn't in great shape so I got this one. Case is in pretty good condition, but disc and manual are mint(the rip is printed on and part of the design).

UkO1LF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Hey Im a long term lurker here in the arcade and retro forum.:)

I usually get sega stuff, Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast stuff buy I really have a bit of a passion for these which arrived today. :D

It looks like it has hardly been used!

The RF signal isn't the best but I will be doing a known composite Mod to improve picture quality.

Currently in the process of repairing two other rubber keyed spectrum's but having a time trying to source old components/IC's. If anybody got any ideas sourcing components it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Who needs Destiny when a proper game about shooting lots of things arrives in the post (after what seems like a snails pace transit even by Play Asia standards!) ;)

2lm030p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Today the 360 port, tomorrow the PCB :pac:

You just made me realize how cheap the DoDonPachi Resurrection PAL version is going for on ebay (it's really bizarre seeing a shmup so cheap!) - time to buy a copy.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You just made me realize how cheap the DoDonPachi Resurrection PAL version is going for on ebay (it's really bizarre seeing a shmup so cheap!) - time to buy a copy.

That was dirt cheap even when it was first released :)

The great Rising Star PAL shmup fest seems to have ended in any case, at least we got three or four releases in a short space of time. Can't imagine the likes of Under Defeat were big successes for them anyway. Would have liked a Death Smiles 2 release just for the sake of completion though!

• Advertisement

I bought Destiny today for the PS4 but can't help thinking it'll be lost on me.
    The online portion is a mystery, I certainly don't have the time or the online mates to sustain any of the USP of the game.
    Here's hoping there's enough in it to keep me going.
    I traded in for it in the end as well,
    Assassins Creed 4 and Watchdogs, both for the PS4, and neither getting any play from me in weeks in the latters case and never played in for formers.
    And they are also in a price free fall, within a month or two they'll be €25 each or so, so I'm not terribly worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So now that I have a gaming pc (that I'm currently tweaking remotely form work... aherm) I'm thinking perhaps it's time to build an arcade stick for it.

MrVestek wrote: »
    So now that I have a gaming pc (that I'm currently tweaking remotely form work... aherm) I'm thinking perhaps it's time to build an arcade stick for it.

Just stick that PC in an arcade:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

MrVestek wrote: »

What about just buying a decent USB one (save up if needs be)? Those SFIV sticks are pretty good for the price I thought - probably able to mod them if needed (I'm guessing the Fighting Game folks have tons of experience with this). Or else go the retro route, buy a Namco or Virtua Stick (HSS-0316) and a Mayflash USB adapter and use that combination - works really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

urbanledge wrote: »
    Just stick that PC in an arcade:D

That would make playing Day Z impractical. :P

Just get a mad catz 360 stick and then mod it with sawa/seimetsu parts which is silly easy to do since they were built with modding in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,246 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I bought one of these to use my DC stick with my PC. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/Trio-Linker-Plus-II-Pc/dp/B008EL7R7G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Went and dropped the old range I had at the recycle centre the other day, and the guys showed me a Sony Trinitron that had been dropped off with stand and remote (think it was a 27" I may be wrong.).
    I could have taken the TV if I wanted....Had no room in the house and the wife would of killed me, but I did find a PS1, had no cables, gave it a clean and tested it and it all works...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Got a nice original Famicom from the postman today, it's something I always wanted after seeing one in the flesh. I don't think the Famicom has ever been used before, it still has all the clear plastic film over the controllers and there's not a fingerprint on anything. Everything else is still bagged up in the box. I think it will be staying in unmolested RF, couldn't bring myself to get it modded considering the condition that it's in. Met up with Steve yesterday and picked up a FDS to go along with it, thanks for that.

P1040605_zps3ed60aae.jpgP1040604_zpsbbd2be30.jpgP1040599_zps30c65aeb.jpgP1040597_zps1ec28ef1.jpgP1040596_zps64746a11.jpgP1040600_zps2c32a78a.jpgP1040602_zps6b1a847f.jpg
    P1040607_zps993844b8.jpg

• Advertisement

P1040605_zps3ed60aae.jpg

Gotta get that AV modded!
    Or, go for broke and get the RGB mod done, although it's a more difficult one apparently, results would be well worth the dollars tbh, such a great great machine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement