Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,244 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Very nice get dude. Your photos or ebays?

Think those Namco games don't emulate 100% in mame either so defo worthwhile getting.

EBay photos. Literally just bought it. Unfortunately I don't have a dedicated arcade monitor to test PCBs!

Yeah I went to try it out in mame and it was an unplayable mess. Half the time there are no characters on screen.

The Dreamcast version got a really impressive visual update, but the arcade original is still a nice looking game. Seems like one of the cheaper boards out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah those boards haven't been emulated perfectly in mame yet. There was a varient that I found called PSXMame that used PSX based bios files for emulating those boards in mame (based on ePSXe) to run them (as these boards are heavily based on the design of the PSX) but I still can't get it running at anywhere near full speed on mame.

Tekken Tag Tournament runs on the same board. Same reason I'll be buying the Tekken Tag PCB when I eventually pick up that Blast City from Urbanledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Pick up "Super Burgertime" pcb today :)

Super-Burger-Time-1024x768.jpg

Not my board, but identical Data East original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Have to say, it's great to see the pcb's gets today, So many will take the mame route, myself included when I get around to it:o

Master of the Universe

Really can't beat a PCB! I know I was saying about getting a hyperspin setup recently, but I reckon I'm going to just stick with boards for the forseeable future. Have enough to keep me going. Really looking forward to The Last Bandit's jamma console adapter. That'll give a nice boost to my choice of games.

Picked up one of these multi scart adapters today as per the recommendations here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370911629803?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Really impressed! Great the way it runs off the scart power as well so no need for a separate PSU. My last one took up a socket and only had three scart inputs on it.

But yeah, picture quality is perfect. Haven't noticed any imperfections or issues so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some light reading material. The graphic adventure book is massive and pretty comprehensive and the Japanese developers book is almost as big. The arcade classics one is about half the size but really nicely done with the promise if more volumes down the line. Very happy with these. I also ordered the DVD to go with the Japanese developers book but it has yet to arrive.

322003.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kurt said the hg101 Castlevania book should be available this weekend. Sold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Is that developers book any use? Fancy it, and the DVD, but the bloke was a psycho apparently...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Hi, heres a few pics following on from my earlier post about JAMMA boards, pics 1 and 2 are both sides of the 2 boards together that are labled bubble bobble, pic 3 is the konami turtles (according to the sticker) , pic 4 is a suspected golden tee golf 2 and pic 5 was attached to the board on pic 4 and I might use it for a DIY supergun so i can test the boards..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, heres a few pics following on from my earlier post about JAMMA boards, pics 1 and 2 are both sides of the 2 boards together that are labled bubble bobble, pic 3 is the konami turtles (according to the sticker) , pic 4 is a suspected golden tee golf 2 and pic 5 was attached to the board on pic 4 and I might use it for a DIY supergun so i can test the boards..

Hmm I'm not up on boards as much as some of the other lads on here, but I'm pretty sure that's a bootleg bubble bobble board..

The label, if im reading right says bObble\B which would be fitting with the bootleg as the title screen will say bobble bobble instead of bubble bobble.

The 3 socketed chips at the top are the ones you have to burn the redux roms to. On closer look it's exactly like my bootleg that yellow wire is probably delivering - 5 to the board for sound.

Pic 5 is a jamma adapter for the board in 4, it might need that to work if the game has a different wiring requirement than standard jamma.

• Advertisement

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Is that developers book any use? Fancy it, and the DVD, but the bloke was a psycho apparently...?

The developers book is really good. It's really in depth and I'm learning loads from it that I've never knew.

As for the author, he's definitely not a psycho especially in real life. He's one of those people that rubs people the wrong way and if he is getting any **** he won't beat around the bush to tell you you are full of ****. He's made a bit of a reputation for himself on neogaf and hg101 as a result. He really knows his stuff though he's probably the most qualified to do an article on Japanese devs and is a big contributor to hg101 and retrogamer magazine.

He does also think the zelda Cdi games are good so that might be a problem :p

Three things attracted me to that book and DVD.
    1. Yuzo Koshiro
    2. The Hudson HQ Tour
    3. The Preservation Society Gaf he visits in the DVD

Keen to bite, but the DVD is a bit urgent price-wise... Is he selling the book in digital format?

Eurogamer has a review of the DVD if you are in two minds about it, I've yet to receive mine. The review isn't the best though, it's very negative about the fact that it focuses so much on the PC-88 and other Japanese home computers whereas I see that as a positive since there's enough written about the NES and the majority of Japanese developers got their start on Japanese home systems.

I think there is a digital version of the book.

Inclined to agree. The Famicom et al have been done to death. Only so many times you can rehash the same tidbits that have been common knowledge for years.

Mentioning the book is PC-88 and obscure-heavy, my interest is piqued again. Always keen to know more about the games, systems and especially the abandoned projects that nobody else cares or has heard of.

The DVD I'm still on the fence about. There are ways to get it distributed digitally for a fraction of the current price he's asking. A digital download would be great. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

not a bad find for a fiver :D

10609550_10152716273563276_8906762710883303217_n.jpg?oh=8e77208c6ded949d579605df4f8ae09d&oe=548F4725

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eurogamer has a review of the DVD if you are in two minds about it, I've yet to receive mine. The review isn't the best though, it's very negative about the fact that it focuses so much on the PC-88 and other Japanese home computers whereas I see that as a positive since there's enough written about the NES and the majority of Japanese developers got their start on Japanese home systems.

I think there is a digital version of the book.
    STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Inclined to agree. The Famicom et al have been done to death. Only so many times you can rehash the same tidbits that have been common knowledge for years.

Mentioning the book is PC-88 and obscure-heavy, my interest is piqued again. Always keen to know more about the games, systems and especially the abandoned projects that nobody else cares or has heard of.

The DVD I'm still on the fence about. There are ways to get it distributed digitally for a fraction of the current price he's asking. A digital download would be great. :)

Well that's me convinced, just ordered a copy :)

Just checked out the Eurogamer review. That was done by one of the chaps over at the SHMUPS forum. Sound lad as well so I'd trust the review knowing the guy in another capacity outside of that forum. :)

Seems there was a fair few missed oppurtunities with the DVD mentioned in the review like having access to extremely rare games and unable to get video because the capture equipment was having problems.

I got it mostly to support the guy, he really did go through a tremendous amount of trouble to interview these people and it wasn't just him getting a free holiday to Japan. His strong point is definitely writing though, I'd say video is new to him which is why it doesn't sound as professional. Sure I'll write something about it once it arrives. Copies seem quite limited which is why I'm jumping on it before they are all gone.

keithgeo wrote: »
    Hmm I'm not up on boards as much as some of the other lads on here, but I'm pretty sure that's a bootleg bubble bobble board..

Yep 100% bootleg. The Mitsubishi ROM's are the first tell-tale sign. Still a sweet boot to have though! :)

If that Turtles board is giving you bellyache, try holding down the switch above that CAL sticker. Hold it down, keep it held down, power on the board and let it enter diagnostics mode.

I had a problem with a Thundercross 2 PCB that wouldn't boot. The diagnostics force-check sorted it out and it worked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

Cross post from the Ninty Thread, thanks Cloud! :D

15248157602_e63decd221.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Found in the other half's house during another clear out. Still no sign of the C64.

Master of the Universe

Akumajou Dracula XX!

Been on my list for a while now, one Castlevania game I've never played before.

CV_zpsb2852963.jpg

So much cheaper than the PAL and US version isn't it :) it's a decent vania game just gets a raw deal because people were expecting a conversion of rondo of blood. The final boss however is unbelievably cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It is similar to Rondo of Blood though isn't it? Is this a Jap only release yeah?

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So much cheaper than the PAL and US version isn't it :) it's a decent vania game just gets a raw deal because people were expecting a conversion of rondo of blood. The final boss however is unbelievably cheap.

Ridiculously cheaper! Came to about €35 posted, which is silly compared to the PAL copies.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    It is similar to Rondo of Blood though isn't it? Is this a Jap only release yeah?

Dracula X in the US and Vampire's Kiss in PAL territory.

Both censored though, so better to go with the far cheaper Japanese version.

Myrddin wrote: »

Rondo of Blood is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. However it's worth paying since they just lifted the graphics and music from rondo and made a very different game with Dracula X. It's pretty much a brand new game although dont expect rondo, super 4 or bloodlines levels of quality. And **** that final boss. Whoever put bottomless pits in a boss room should be shot.

Anybody get the Kickstarter c64 book? Mine arrived today haven't had a chance to look through it yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yep mine is due to land shortly, any good?

im in work so havent had a chance to flick through, first impression though was that its smaller than i thought it would be, not page wise but actual size, its smaller than A4 for sure. Its also not hard back, the cover is thicker than pages but its still soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm stunned, I picked up 7 PS1 games for €10 in the charity shop I used to work in and Dragon Quest The Chapters of the Chosen for €5 in Gamestop.
    It's like a welcome home present from the God of second hand shops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement